Author Topic: Strange target  (Read 1079 times)

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
Strange target
« on: May 28, 2008, 08:25:50 AM »
First I've got to say I have a right eye problem.  I bought a BSA Sweet .30-06 Scope to try on my '06 Handi.  The first shot at 100 yards went into the white about 2 inches at 2 o'clock.  I adjusted left and shot again  It moved to 1 o'clock.  This is where the weird stuff begins.  I was shooting at a target with two 50 yard muzzleloader bulls  side by side.  The first two shots were at the right hand bull.  The third shot went into the left hand target at the exact spot the last bullet hit the right hand.  I fired another and it made one hole with the second shot in the right target.  I fired one more, and it made one hole with the hole in the left target.  All this time, I know I was holding on the right hand bull.  The wind came up, as usual, and I had to quit.

Conclusion:  I'm going in for an eye exam.   The "06, I believe, is a tack driver.  4 bullets on top of each other at 100 yards, even though two each were on different targets.  I really believe it is my eyes.  Any help out here?  Getting old is really wonderful!
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Strange target
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 09:16:14 AM »
Had the same thing happen, found the bolt holding the stock was loose.  Stock shifted just enough to throw it back and forth.  Tightened the bolt, problem went away.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline striker525

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 09:20:10 AM »
MMMMM Shifting POI with a BSA?????? Try a different scope.

Offline tykempster

• A Real Regular
  • I enjoy long range shooting and big guns.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 10:11:08 AM »
I bet it's the BSA if I had to guess.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 10:12:07 AM »
I agree with striker and Tyler, BSA scopes are notorious for defects, they offer great customer service from all the reports I've read on BSA problems, but they need it too. :-\ I'd check the obvious before blaming that kind of anomaly on my eyes if you're absolutely positive that you didn't shoot the wrong target, which would be my first thought, been there done that when posting multiple targets on one board!!   ::)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 11:21:52 AM »
No, I'm positive I shot the right hand target at all times.  I appreciate the feedback.  If it is the scope, why am I getting one holers?  I'm cleaning barn for two days, then if the wind lays down, we'll try again.  Thanks to all of you.  Pete
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 11:46:41 AM »
You're not getting one holers, you're getting two one hole groups at different POIs when the reticle jumps back and forth with recoil at each shot. :o

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 12:17:56 PM »
I have bought inexpensive scopes in the past. Mostly Simmons, Bushnell and a few Tascos. I was satisfied with them as a whole. However, one by one there have been problems with some of them. Lens loosening up, POI shifting for no apparent reason after a long life are two examples. A lot of the time they did not track correctly with the cross hairs. 4 clicks would some times be 1" and some times it would be .5" or even 2.5". This did not bother me too much as once I had them dialed in, I rarely changed the POI. Some times it took many shots to dial them in, but like I said once I got them dialed in, they seemed to stay there. I have now been upgrading my scopes, one here, two there. I am not upgrading them to Swarovski or the better Leupolds, but to some of the better Bushnell's and a few Muellers. There is a difference, they dial in much quicker and they seem to hold their zero much better. Clarity is nice, but was not a big deal to me, until you actually start shooting better scopes. Now it does make a difference. When I go back to one of my cheaper scopes, I notice the clarity problem right away and am dissatisfied, even when they are not giving me any problems. You do not have to have as much power to clearly see cross hairs and target. I shoot better in the field with lower power. Some day I may go top of the line in scopes and be dissatisfied with what I have now. But so far I am thrilled with the Legends, Elite 3200's and even the Mueller scopes I have. Unfortunately the BSA's fall into the first category of scopes I used to get. I think you will find that under recoil the BSA is shifting it's zero back and forth. It is not unheard of. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Ireload2

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 12:33:22 PM »
I have passed up many rifle deals because a Simmons or a BSA was mounted and the owners seemed to think the rifle was worth more with those scopes than nothing at all. I would not mount either of those brands if given to me free.
Those two brands are notorious for being offered for sale after one shooting session. I have read many, many on line complaints about both.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 03:59:06 AM »
After reading here, i believe the BSA 22 special is the problem with my 17HMR, going to try some thing dif.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline striker525

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 04:21:40 AM »
I have passed up many rifle deals because a Simmons or a BSA was mounted and the owners seemed to think the rifle was worth more with those scopes than nothing at all. I would not mount either of those brands if given to me free.
Those two brands are notorious for being offered for sale after one shooting session. I have read many, many on line complaints about both.

+1

I use Bushnell scopes as my main optics. I have used them for 37 years and have yet to have a failure. I utilize the banners on my rimfires with legends and Trophy series on my centerfires.

Offline Tencubed

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
Interesting thread.  Before I would condemn the scope in question I would check the base and rings.  Could be something is out of alignment or a bit loose.  Rings that are not in correct alignment one with the other can cause these kinds of problems as can a base that is bent or doesn't match the rifle contour and is moving around. 

It very well could be the scope and a simple test for this is to try another scope as has been suggested.

I kind of go another way when shooting in a new rifle with glass on it and often when working up new loads.  I start off with a known, higher power scope that is tried and tested.  I use one of two Leupold target scopes I've had for a number of years.  By doing this I know what the rifle/load is capable of with either a 24 or 30 power scope and can judge from these results what to expect with a lower power unit.

Without a good baseline to work from it's really hard, for me at least, to know when things are really dialed in.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Why do I carry a gun?  Because a Cop's too heavy.
Oldest rifle I shoot - 1854 Sharps 50-70

Offline huntnfish08

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 06:00:16 PM »
I agree that it may be in the rings and not the scope. I've got a 6-24 BSA Contender on my 17HMR. I had trouble zeroing and thought that it may be a junk scope. I took off the rings and reset everything. Put it back together and wah lah. Perfect. It now shoots under 1.25" regularily under average range conditions. A little wind and improvised rest. For a $80 scope on a $200 rifle it works quite well.
 Check your mounts, rings, etc. More often than not scope issues are related to mounting more than optics failure.
Adam

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 10:23:59 PM »
I haven't had a chance to get back to it, but I'll check the scope mounting now and hopefully get a few more rounds through it this morning before the wind comes up.  Thanks all for the suggestions.  Pete

Offline fourthharley

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 11:33:46 PM »
You Da Man! Pete ::)

Offline walkingwolf

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 04:09:33 AM »

I had the same thing happen to me it was the rings
Don't smoke in bed the Assh you save may be your own