Author Topic: Bullet help?  (Read 1649 times)

Offline BallisticBalta

• Trade Count: (0)
Bullet help?
« on: May 29, 2008, 05:43:30 AM »
Ok, I want to get into Coyote hunting. I was looking at .243 then .308, because then I could use it for deer as well, but I didn't know the huge price difference between the bullet prices. So, now I am looking more towards .223. I can't hunt deer where I live with a rifle; so I don't really need that big of a caliber. Now is there a huge difference in distance between the calibers? (.223,.243,.308) Of course for varmint hunting you need the long shots. So, .223 good enough for long & flat shots? Is there a huge difference, like the price, in stats.? Ok, thanks for you time.

P.S. Is this the right place for this post? If it isn't mods just move it. Thanks

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
Re: Bullet help?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 08:05:16 AM »
The 223 would be a great choice. It is very versatile and is more economic than the 22-250, however if really long range varmit shooting is on the menu , you would do well to look at the 22-250. The 243 and 308 are a bit much in my opinion for varmits.

Offline BallisticBalta

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 08:24:56 AM »
The 223 would be a great choice. It is very versatile and is more economic than the 22-250, however if really long range varmit shooting is on the menu , you would do well to look at the 22-250. The 243 and 308 are a bit much in my opinion for varmits.
Ya, thanks.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 04:42:21 AM »
Depends on the hunting that you like to do.
If you are glassing the longer ranges and hunting by chance a .243 would be great.
If you are Calling, a .22 Hornet can work well as you can get them in under 150, or even 100yds with some practice. The .223 would be a great medium or in between.

Offline BallisticBalta

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 05:46:10 AM »
Depends on the hunting that you like to do.
If you are glassing the longer ranges and hunting by chance a .243 would be great.
If you are Calling, a .22 Hornet can work well as you can get them in under 150, or even 100yds with some practice. The .223 would be a great medium or in between.

Umm... I would not use a .22, and I heard that a .223 goes pretty far.

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 06:28:53 AM »
He said 22 Hornet, not 22. The 223 will shoot amazingly far with the right person behind the gun. If you want more range, check out the 22-250, it adds 300 fps easily to the 223, often times more. Faster is flatter.

Offline BallisticBalta

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 06:35:18 AM »
He said 22 Hornet, not 22.
Oh I see.
The 223 will shoot amazingly far with the right person behind the gun. If you want more range, check out the 22-250, it adds 300 fps easily to the 223, often times more. Faster is flatter.
Ya, faster is flatter, but it would cost a little more for 22-250. The reason I really like .223, 'cause it is cheaper.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 07:54:27 PM »
You get right down to it, rocks, sharpened sticks, snares, and instruments of like import are about as cheap as you are going to get.  Not too practical for Yotes, but they fit your criteria of cheap.

Just do a little research (like you are doing), get what you want ('cause you will shoot it more and ultimately be more confident and happy with that choice), get what you can afford (you can always trade for or purchase another caliber later), and practice, practice, practice.

I don't know what "huge price difference" you are describing between bullets.  I recommend that you consider logging on to www.midwayusa.com, or www.midsouthshooterssupply.com (a GBO Sponsor), or any of the on-line supply houses and check the prices of the calibers you want to consider.

I recommend that you consider reloading your own brass, primers, powders, and bullets on your own press, with your own dies.  You WILL shoot more as a reloader and in the end spend less than paying the supply house retail and its inherent mark-up for the same number of rounds.

If you practice and are confident then whichever caliber you choose will be suitable for varmints as well as deer.  Shot placement is the critical element and a confident shooter will ALWAYS hit his mark.

Good hunting.

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 04:41:18 AM »
Your talking cheap like your thinking of that Wolf ammo. Friend of mine has an auto loader. dome para military type, and he bought a bunch of wolf ammo because it was cheap. doesn't shoot very well and constantly jam's the rifle. i like the small case 22's and lean heavily toward the 222 Rem. But for a coyote rifle I use a bolt action 243. I've often though of using my 22 mag if I could call them but, I really stink at calling.
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 02:43:19 AM »
Keep at it Don, what you really have to remember is to play the part of that injured critter. Make sure to power up your call from your diaphram, not air from your mouth. You will be able to realize much more quaver along with hitting the high & low notes when doing this.

You could also go with an elect if you wanted to. manofthe45 provided us with this reasonably priced fox pro link not too long ago.
http://www.wingsupply.com/shop/Scripts/prodViewSKU.asp?SKU=FP38

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 03:51:41 AM »
Don, when I was calling, I didn't sound like a pro myself but I consoled myself with the fact that some of the worst imitations of a dying rabbit I've ever heard came from a dying rabbit. :D   I think your set-up is as important as your calling.  And too, how hard has the place you're trying been worked by someone else.

It is a pretty good spread money wise between super, primo ammo and dirt cheap.  But even at dirt cheap, it doesn't take too many boxes of ammo to come up with an introductory reloading kit. And for even less, you could go the Lee Loader route which is kinda slow but allows you to make match grade ammo.  While reloading is a fascinating hobby, it is one where you can spend all the money you want to, if you do not lay down limits or goals to begin with.  As a lad on a limited budget, this would be something to keep in mind. 

Offline BallisticBalta

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 01:23:41 PM »
Hey, thanks for all the replies. I do plan on to getting into reloading. I know that .223 brass is easy and cheaper to get. Is there a big difference in price, between .223,.243, or .308, if I were to reload them? Thanks.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 03:19:22 AM »
Don, when I was calling, I didn't sound like a pro myself but I consoled myself with the fact that some of the worst imitations of a dying rabbit I've ever heard came from a dying rabbit. :D   I think your set-up is as important as your calling.  And too, how hard has the place you're trying been worked by someone else.

Good Post as this is 2/3rd's of it. I think that sometimes the younger predators would come in to a squeaky screen door early in the season.

BallisticBalta,
The Powder is probably going to be the greater evil on the reloading cost per diff calibers.
For instance, My personal worse case example would be my blk-powder rifle.
I use 80gr of ffg which can be divided into the 7,000 grain one pound canister for a total of 87 shots.

My best case example would be for the plinking loads for the revolvers.
7.5gr of powder divided into the 7,000gr canister gives me a whopping 933 shots.
This can vary of course and you would have to (average out) the charges for your three calibers in question to see what is what.

You will have to check the price diff on your bullets because I dont have anything readily available on the cost of the .243 & .308
Your primer prices are all probably going to be comparable.

Offline BallisticBalta

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 03:47:13 AM »
Ya, I am thinking that .223 would be the best choice for me. Is the brass, bullets,Lee kit, powder, ect good on Midwayusa.com? I was think of blowing my money there. Any other places? Link would help. Thanks again.

Offline jhm

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 04:19:26 AM »
Glancebam:  Do you still calculate the number of shots per pound with Black powder since you measure it by volume instead of by weight??   Jim

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 10:05:31 AM »
I don't have the numbers but it's pretty simple arithmatic. 
1# powder = xx .223 loads
1# powder = a lot less .308 loads

1# of  metal used to make bullets .223 bullets = lots of bullets
1# of .308 bullets = a whole lot less bullets

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 05:22:27 AM »
Glancebam:  Do you still calculate the number of shots per pound with Black powder since you measure it by volume instead of by weight??   Jim

My brass tube measure is calibrated for grains from 10 to 120 with half grain increments in between. It is surprisingly accurate if a charge is thrown into the pan of a beam scale providing that you use the hinged funnel to level off the excess at the top and never tap on the tube to settle the charge.

The volume charging is for the metallic cartridges where one must take care to make sure that no air space exist. All of my usage is either patched ball or Cap n ball where your "marked" rod will insure that you get that ball down on top of the powder charge.

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 05:40:16 AM »
The other thing to consider is your hunting area (range). if you live on the open prarie where 300-500 yard shots might be common the 22-250 might serve your needs. If you are in a semi open area with woods mixed with fields and ranges generally under 300 yards the 223 will work great. There is a considerable price difference in cartridges and components larger than .22 caliber (223). The 22-250 (.22 caliber) while giving more range burns more powder and costs a bit more than the .223 especially in factory rounds. I have the 243 and it is very effective but it is a multi purpose gun serving duty for varmints and small deer.
Just another worthless opinion!!