Author Topic: Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Handi-Rifle  (Read 1189 times)

Offline morganp

• Trade Count: (0)
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Handi-Rifle
« on: May 29, 2008, 12:08:32 PM »
I made an interesting acquisition today and received a Handi in .243 Win on trade that has never been fired. It has a walnut checkered stock and a medallion on the butt stock that says "Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation" on it. These same words are stamped into the barrel below which are the words "Youth Model" but when I stand it beside my other handi-rifle, the LOP's are the exact same. I was under the impression that the LOP of the youth models were shorter than the standard handis? From the FAQ and having a NH prefix to the serial number, I guess this rifle was made in 1993.

Now for my dilemma. I had planned to send the receiver in to the factory to be fitted with a .223 heavy barrel and sell the .243 barrel that is on it now. However, since the barrel and stock are both marked with the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation I thought it might be a limited edtion. Does this model have more value than a standard handi so that I should just leave it like it is? Like I said, it is in pristine condition and the blueing on the rifle looks much better than my standard handi.

I hope some of the Handiholics here can tell me more about this rifle.

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Handi-Rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 01:09:30 PM »
It is your rifle to do with as you wish.If it were mine I would certainly not divide it up.While value may not be all that great now,later it probably will be.

Stan
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline striker525

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 12:03:43 AM »
Here you go.

Click Me

Offline morganp

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 02:49:04 AM »
Thanks Striker for the link. According to the receiver, this rifle is a New England Firearms model and it is in .243, a caliber not listed on the H&R page. I looked in a hard copy of the same book under the NEF listings and found nothing. Then I searched here on the forum and found a post by mt3030 that said this rifle was a limited edition not sold to the general public and "what I would consider one of the rarest!!"  Piney posted that he had learned from NEF that these rifles were a special order for RMEF, sold new for $240 and production numbered around 50.

The search feature on this forum has been a great help and I will not separate or even shoot this rifle. I appreciate the input folks.

Offline striker525

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 05:41:07 AM »
Thanks Striker for the link. According to the receiver, this rifle is a New England Firearms model and it is in .243, a caliber not listed on the H&R page. I looked in a hard copy of the same book under the NEF listings and found nothing. Then I searched here on the forum and found a post by mt3030 that said this rifle was a limited edition not sold to the general public and "what I would consider one of the rarest!!"  Piney posted that he had learned from NEF that these rifles were a special order for RMEF, sold new for $240 and production numbered around 50.

The search feature on this forum has been a great help and I will not separate or even shoot this rifle. I appreciate the input folks.

What is the serial number of yours?

Offline morganp

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 05:53:39 AM »
NH 2141XX

Offline Piney

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 10:32:47 AM »
I bought mine used (like new) in a pawn shop. The rifle shoots MOA easily. It is definitely a keeper! My serial  number  is NH2617**   :)
Disabled Vietnam Vet USN 70-72.