Author Topic: Walther PPK pistol?  (Read 1074 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Walther PPK pistol?
« on: May 29, 2008, 01:22:47 PM »
I was in my local gun shop last week and mentioned how my Makarov pistol has a spongy trigger, the sales guy let me dry fire a Current issue Walther PPK and it had a very nice trigger pull.  thinking of getting one.

I read that they (Smith and Wesson/Walther) changed the frame to prevent the slide from biting fleshy hands under recoil, but otherwise the gun seemed interesting.  Does anyone have one of those, and how durable are they as I have always thought of them as a pocket pistol for irregular shooting?  I would like one in .32 ACP, but Americans always want big bullets, so they are in .380.

Thanks.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: Walther PPK pistol?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 01:43:01 PM »
I have two of them, one a newer version by S&W/Walther in 380 and an original Nazi version in 32 cal. my father obtained from a surrendering German officer in WW2. They are accurate at close range and very reliable. I would go with the 380 since it is nearly the same size as the 32.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline jager

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 07:12:11 AM »
I once had a Walther Manurin (French PP) in a .380. I had the "ramp" polished so it would feed HP bullets better (on advice from a gunsmith) and I don't ever recall a jam or failure to fire. I loaded for it and found my particular gun to be a "One Trick Pony" (only shooting well with one load combination and POA). I did find the handle causing some pain after a few shots, which I cured by installing Pachmyer "wrap around" rubber grips (took care of that problem).  I foolishly sold it for another gun; it was very concealable.

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 06:10:30 AM »
I would put my Mak P-64 up there with the best of the PPKs.  It is as smooth as most pistols, and performs flawless.  It has a spring upgrade which contributes to it's performance.  I would recommend you upgrade your Mak before purchasing the PPK, it might save you a few dollars.  Check this site out for more information:

http://www.makarov.com/others/index.html

I also upgraded a couple of military model Maks, and have a spring kit on order for a P-63 at this time.  I have also found that most all small frame autos will "bite" the fleshy part of the hand if you are not careful in firing them, that goes for the two PPKs I own too.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 09:16:16 AM »
Had'm for years.  Carried a first production Interarms PPKS American for years.  I like the SW because they are stainless and can resisit corrosion.  An old friend of mine carried a blue one for years and one hot day he unholstered it and the slide was a lite orange brown.  .380 is a fine caliber.  Get one.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 06:35:25 AM »
Doesn't stainless steel in a semi-auto gall?  That is, the two metals rub against each other and have heavily accelerated wear compared to blued carbon steel.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 03:22:01 PM »
Not anymore.  The metallurgy has been worked out on most guns.  Doesn't mean it Won't happen, just less likely on newer guns if at all.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 09:49:33 PM »
I own two, one is the onliest safe Queen I have--a blued German PPK which has never been fired--and a stainless Interarms that I have had since the 70's. It is/has rarely been out of reach in the car or truck and has a lint brown appearance most of the time.
When I go too the range--as I do with all my weapons that travel with me-I unload the mag by shooting and then reload the mag for carry. It shoots the lint out.
I like PPK's.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 04:31:03 PM »
I've owned several of these little spy guns, one a brown gripped, gold trigger and hammer, .22LR that would shoot X rings at 25 yards from a sandbag rest!
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!