Author Topic: off to the shoot  (Read 708 times)

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
off to the shoot
« on: May 30, 2008, 06:36:07 AM »
I am loaded up, I have my trusty 24 lb mortar in the back of my truck, no one came over to help me so i had to find a way to get the 450lb gun in the truck by myself, that sucked. but now i am off to manteo NC. to shoot this weekend. I hope to come back with a medal.
 i will have pics when i get back. are there any good cannon locations in the outerbanks? for site seeing??

rick bryan
 rampa room artillery
3rd va . co B.
 N-Ssa

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: off to the shoot
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 03:58:11 PM »
Good luck and have fun!!!

Offline HuecoDoc

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 07:40:36 PM »
no one came over to help me so i had to find a way to get the 450lb gun in the truck by myself, that sucked.

I understand the consternation, but many (me) envy that sucky problem.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 02:55:07 AM »
me tooooo    :o 

but will never admit that   ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline MR.GADGET

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 06:56:17 AM »
I am loaded up, I have my trusty 24 lb mortar in the back of my truck, no one came over to help me so i had to find a way to get the 450lb gun in the truck by myself, that sucked. but now i am off to manteo NC. to shoot this weekend. I hope to come back with a medal.
 i will have pics when i get back. are there any good cannon locations in the outerbanks? for site seeing??

rick bryan
 rampa room artillery
3rd va . co B.
 N-Ssa
So Why didn't you say something......  Let me know at the next shoot, I would like to meet you....  We took first, Second and....... Last....  We only had enough people to put 3 of our 5 mortars out there on the line.....one day we will have all 5 shooting just need more members.
MR. GADGET
NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
www.nra.org
Co. D, 10th Regiment N.C.S.T. "Rowan Artillery"
www.n-ssa.org

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »
 lol,sorry i asked which one you are, and i said mr gadget, and he laughed. you looked like you were busy , lol me and brandon got our drinking started a little early Saturday night. will you be at mason dixon?? i am  heading up there on friday next week.

mortar, we came in 4th, i regestered it under nasmond guard so it was a legal team with 3 of there members shooting it and 2 of ours helping. i ahve learned to bend the rules sense rowan likes to protest everything. it was hard to tell where they were landing with that tall grass. my line was great but my distace i didnt compensate for the differense in the eight of the balls correctly i kept the same powder load for the last 3 balls when i should have lowered it my 20 grains each time. wasnt thinking, i guess i just wanted to get those leather sleaves off and have a cold beer.

glad tuckers finnnally found that ball. i tried to stay and help but i have to sit down or i was going to fall down.

rick bryan
  3rd va. co B
N-Ssa

Offline MR.GADGET

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 01:33:16 AM »
The wind did not help anything going from 5 to 30+ mph. It was a hard one to call powder. Did you ever get a metal from the protest shoot? We had not seen ours yet......Was thinking you placed? I'm not going this weekend but I may go to the July shoot if I can get a team up or do what you did and put it under a different team name....

Glad they got the ball I never was told anymore about it. Know were they found it, I know they had one real long that was not found....
MR. GADGET
NRA LIFE BENEFACTOR MEMBER
www.nra.org
Co. D, 10th Regiment N.C.S.T. "Rowan Artillery"
www.n-ssa.org

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 01:18:48 PM »
, yes, we got the first place medal for that shoot, they ruled it because they only charged for a 3 man team and that is what has been allowed in the past they let it fly,  i didnt care myslef, i have enough carbine medals at home, but bunky really wanted trey to get a medal, he is 16 and that was his first medal he had won.  but oh well,
   i make sure i have enough people for now on, I thought the rule was 50% which is what i had, but its 51%

yes, tuckers ball, they had two balls land right beside each other so they got the one ball out, and just kept walking over the same hole passing it by because they thought they had already gotten that ball. lol oh well, they found it.
  yea, i saked my father to join me up at the mason dixon her next weekend, for fathers day,  and we have already made plans to go to the artillery shoot  august 15th.i have been told by jamie that they are real relaxed about who is shooting on your mortar up there at that shoot, becuase truelly it comes down to what the gunner desides to shoot. everyone else is just helping him load.
 i am sure i will be able to spare some one to help you out, i have made sure i will have like 10 people up there helping me i might take brandon wades mortar up there with me and shoot that, they have never had any luck with it, But they never practice. They only shoot twice a year.
 but i really want to shoot 200 yards with my gun. i am guessing it will be about 1400 grains in my gun hell with my old powder tho it would have been 2200 grains this new stuff is HOT!