Author Topic: Slug gun promblems  (Read 866 times)

Offline buckshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Slug gun promblems
« on: May 31, 2008, 04:35:23 AM »
 buckshooter

I am going to buy an H&R slug gun this year, but I am wondering how hard doe's an H&R slug gun kick, I am left handed so I can't buy the H&R thumehole, because it is made for right handers, I want to buy the H&R ultra light slug gun in a 12 gauge which has the ultragong rifling, but I am afraid that it could kick like a horse, because it is so light.  May be I should just buy an H&R slug gun in parabolic rifling if the accuracy is the same. 

please reply   
"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Slug gun promblems
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 07:57:13 AM »
i got an H&R pardner i just got finished shooting it with 1oz slugs...It is a smooth bored cut down to 18.75" and it kicks like a mule...The guys at the range had to come see what i was shooting because i was rocking back so hard...

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 08:03:14 AM »
I would suggest the USH in 20 gauge, a new ultra light 20 gauge. Another great choice would be a smoothbore 20 (or 12 with regular non-magnum slugs), both in a Tracker I if you can find one. They are all GREAT....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline eye shot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 07:04:03 PM »
My regular heavy USH recoils high and to the left even on a hard hold! I wouldn't want to shoot a lighter one!
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 02:45:08 AM »
It will do the job if you do your part but it is a 12ga shotgun they as long as the laws of physics are enforced it will have felt recoil. With the advancements in 20ga slugs I'd get a 20 it recoil were a concern. If you really want a thumbhole stock take a look at the stocks at www.gunstocksinc.com.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline garandsrus

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 04:04:17 PM »
I have both a 12ga and 20ga USH.  The 12ga does recoil a bit!  The 20ga is very comfortable to shoot. 

I tried several different slug brands in the 20 ga and found two that will shoot 2" or less at 50 yds.  One is a low priced Remington and the other is the Lightfield.  The Lightfield is more accurate, but of course are quite a bit more expensive.  The groups varied from 1.5" to 6" at 50 yds depending on the slug brand, which really surprised me.

I purchased several brands of 12 ga but haven't shot them yet.  I did shoot some 12ga slugs I had and the groups at 50 yds were not impressive. 

John

Offline 12ptdroptine

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 01:52:14 PM »
I have the H&R Ultra slugger in 12ga with the thumbhole stock....I never thought it would kick like it does...not recoil...but kick...It is the only gun I have ever owned that split my eyebrow open...I have a Leupold VXI 3x9x40 on it However it is a rifle scope amd has about 1/2 inch less eye relief .. I just got a Nikon Omega to put on a T/C 20 ga that I have on order..And am going to put one on the H&R also... It doesnt like SST at all does OK with lightfield's..But I have a few other brands to try as soon as I get the scope changed out. Depending on your needs. I would look at the ballistics's on the 20 and the 12 I understand they arr very close to 150+yds.... I keep thinking I need more...LOL...I am picking up my pro hunter 20 barrel tomorrow... Also the 12 has a 1 in 35 twist and the 20 has a 1 in 28...I have seen the 20 cut paper on TV with sst.....On A-Way Outdoor's program...My friends have the 20 and say it doesnt kick as bad as a 410.... After I get my USH12 and T/C dialed in I am going to get one of the new parabolic model's in 20 ga..I have some grandkids  that will be able to use it....Good Luck !