Author Topic: Never buy from Lock Stock & Barrel  (Read 1508 times)

Offline SLAVAGE

• Trade Count: (21)
  • A Real Regular
Never buy from Lock Stock & Barrel
« on: May 31, 2008, 04:57:52 AM »
i have never had an issue as i did with lock..stock&barrel..
i made a order on march 21 for a few things.. after looking at ther site for 3 weeks they had a dies for 4.95 i ordered 3 of them along with a lee cutter and 3 jaw chuck for a total of 38.90... after two weeks no sign or hair of it.. called 10 times no contact... emailed them and no responce... may 21 got an email from them saying its ready to ship and ther was a some discrepencies on the prices i emailed them back saying i ordered it at that price and after 2 months if you cant give it to me at the price i ordered it from cancle the order..your company seams to be at a great lose and should look for better help cause ther are many issues your people are having
here today a box shows up and bills me 152.90 to my card I call them up and they are like um uhh ok ok um yeah ok  just send it back and we will send you a refund.. it should take 2-3 weeks to get you your money back….i told them sence its here I wish to get the items for what the price was when I placed the order.. no sorry we cant do that you can either keep them at that price or send them back for a full refund

My god I have never delt with a company that is so messed up as this one
And never again would I ever think of ordering some thing from them

Heres a copy of the first order I made

Billing Address
    David
NA

Shipping Address
    Same as Billing

Qty   Description   Total
3   RCBS 454 CASULL CARBIDE ROLL CRIMP DIE SET  (In Stock)
Item :RCB23212   Price : $4.95   
   $14.85 
1   LEE 3 JAW CHUCK  (In Stock)
Item :LEE90608   Price : $11.75   
   $11.75 
1   LEE CUTTER W/ BALL GRIP  (Out of Stock)
Item :LEE90275   Price : $4.35   
   $4.35 
Subtotal:    $30.95
(National,State and Local taxes)  Tax:    $0.00
  (FIRST CLASS/PRIORITY MAIL VIA U.S. MAIL)  Shipping:    $7.95

TOTAL:    $38.90

Heres the only contact they had with me sence I placed the order

slavage@bigfoot.com

Subject   :   Your order

Date   :   Thu, May 22, 2008 12:13 PM

Dear David,
    Your order that you placed on out website on 3/21/08 is ready to
leave.  However, there may have been some discrepencies on the prices. 
We are sending the following:

LEE90275   Lee cutter w/ ball grip   $4.35
    LEE90608   Lee 3 Jaw Chuck         $11.75
    RCB23212  RCBS 454 Casull Carbide Roll Crimp Die Sets   3 @ $40.95

The total for the order is $138.95 plus shipping.  Please confirm and we
will get your order out to you.

Thank you!
LS&B

Some one please explane to me how can some one stay in bussness with practices like this… I walk in to a store the item is marked 4$ I get it for the marked price… ther web site was marked at my first price for over 3 weeks…

So im sorry to say they lost a good customer and ill make sure I tell any one I ever talk to how bad ther company is…
Dave

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: Never buy from Lock Stock & Barrel
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 05:06:40 AM »
Good to know. I have their current catalog and have thought about buying a couple things from them. No more though. Thanks for the heads up. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline tgriffin

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 05:43:58 AM »
Everybody knows that carbide die sets costs a lot more than $4.95. Common sense should have told you it was a misprint Companies don't have to honor misprints in their ads.

Sounds to me like you were trying to get over on them, they caught the mistake and stopped you. Man up and swallow the sour grapes.
US Army Retired.
LM:NRA,GOA, & MOAA.

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 06:07:03 AM »
Everybody knows that carbide die sets costs a lot more than $4.95. Common sense should have told you it was a misprint Companies don't have to honor misprints in their ads.

Sounds to me like you were trying to get over on them, they caught the mistake and stopped you. Man up and swallow the sour grapes.

Well said!  Why get upset because they made an error that was obvious?  Natchez had a scope in their flier at a great price a few months back... I kinda knew it was an incorrect price. I called to order one and was told the price was below their cost, The customer service agent did offer the scope at a great price to me but one where they would not lose money, I want good prices but also want the company to be around in the future to offer more fair prices.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 07:10:04 AM »
Makes me think about my sleeping bag.  Several years ago I received a new flier from one of the big mail order houses.  On the cover was a sleeping bag for $29.95.  Thinking it would make a good liner for my heavy bag I called and ordered it right away.  While making the order, the Customer Service person was suddenly hesitant.  She then said there was a problem but that I would receive my order in the regular time.  A few days later I received their regular winter catalog, the sleeping bag was priced at $229.95.  I called their Customer Service and asked about the price difference.  When they told me of the mistake in the flier, I told them since it was such a big mistake, to cancel the order.  They said too late it had already shipped.  I received a call from the owner of the mail order organization that afternoon and was told to enjoy the sleeping bag that it was their mistake and they would honor the price.  I still have that bag and use it a lot, it is one of my best bags.  At first I felt guilty when it arrived, but remembering the owners statement, and My giving him the opportunity to cancel the order, and his refusal, I chalked it up to a good business practice on their part.  My wife and I probably spend over $2,000.00 with them every year, and have become loyal customers. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline SDS-GEN

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 07:12:07 AM »
I've ordered a couple of times from Lock Stock & Barrel and had no problems or complaints.

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 09:15:48 AM »
I don't like to see a good company get trashed by some one looking to steal. I don't like to be told not to shop or buy somewhere, tell me your story... I can think for myself!

Offline Will Bison

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 09:30:50 AM »
I think we all have an idea of what an item will cost prior to ordering. In this instance it is very obvious that a typo on the web site happened.

An honest person would have sent an e-mail or made a phone call to the vendor and brought the error to the attention of the company.

An error on a price tag never has to be honored by a vendor and an honest person would never take advantage of same.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 09:45:36 AM »
Reread your order, 3ea 454 Carbide Die Sets.  Looks like you were ordering a couple of extra.  For gifts or resale maybe?  Looks to me like you were intentionally trying to take advantage of a bad situation, and now seem upset that they would not let you get away with it.  Your criticism of them is invalid and not justified to me.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 09:57:58 AM »
I did not realize he was buying carbide dies when I made my previous statement. I now retract my previous statement. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline D Crockett

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 01:02:19 PM »
Salavage shame on you for trying to take advantage of a typo and it was a obvious that  what it was I don't think you should slander the name of a co for a typo not only does it make the rest of the shooter look bad but it makes you look like a fool and you trying to buy 3 sets of them at $4.95 you were obliviously trying to take advantage of them D Crockett

Offline Tencubed

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 07:10:52 PM »
While I agree that the offer of selling the carbide dies at such a cheap price was more than likely a misprint and that a company has the right to make a correction I still have issues with this company if all occurred as reported.

Taking two months to fill an order is poor customer service, when a customer has repeatedly called and sent an e-mail they have means of contacting him.  He told them, after they said the price would be changed, he wanted the items ordered at the prices listed otherwise cancel the order.  This exchange of e-mails should have been the end of it.

When the company elected to send the order anyway they were violating the instructions they had received.  Once this has happened it is not the fault of Slavage IMO.  He has a justifiable complaint in that they charged an amount in excess of his authorization to his credit card.  This is akin to an old practice some merchants had years ago of sending unordered items to people and billing for them.  If the receiver did not ship the item back the billing and phone calls would go on forever.  The law now states that unordered items must not be used but you do not have to pay for them.  You must allow the owner access during reasonable hours to pick up their property but you are not required to ship them back.  I don't think, in this instance, this law would apply but it surely speaks of poor service and communication from this company.  I would be talking to the postal department about the possibility of mail fraud as they may be doing this to a number of customers.  If you can use some ones money interest free for a couple of months it would make running a business a lot more profitable.

How many of you have been in a store and seen an item on the shelf that was being sold at a ridiculously low clearance price?  Today I found a national brand of canned beans on sale that was nearly too good to be true.  I stocked up.  In this case the ad was not a misprint and I took advantage of it.  Seems to me Slavage was taking advantage of what he thought was the same kind of sale.  Where the real problem started was when the supplier did not do as requested and cancel the order.

Shame on the supplier.  And if anyone wants to give me three times what I paid for those beans I'll be happy to make a profit on them just as Slavage would have done with the dies.  It's called capitalism and is what keeps this country going.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Why do I carry a gun?  Because a Cop's too heavy.
Oldest rifle I shoot - 1854 Sharps 50-70

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 07:42:07 PM »
The second email says "please confirm and we will send it out."  Did you confirm?  Most times I have heard of this the company took the loss.  I have never used this company but with out more detail I can not be on either side of this.  I do not like bad customer service and that in itself is bad enough.

Offline Tencubed

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 07:51:02 PM »
The second email says "please confirm and we will send it out."  Did you confirm?  Most times I have heard of this the company took the loss.  I have never used this company but with out more detail I can not be on either side of this.  I do not like bad customer service and that in itself is bad enough.

I noticed the "please confirm" in the companies e-mail as well.  I re-read Slavage's response and saw he told them if they would not ship at the price offered to cancel the order.  Seems to me that should have been the last of it.  I just read it again and still interpret it that way.  Am I missing something?  The original post is a bit confusing but I really think I have understood what was meant.

Mike

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 08:05:08 PM »
No you are right, I thought the first response was a phone call and the second was a separate email, after reading some of these threads things get turned around. 
Man that sounds kinda dirty that it was shipped anyway.  And shipping cost these days is not cheap, so returning it would have cost another 25 bucks or so.  I could not get to there web site at work to check them out but will avoid them for their customer service issues.

Offline Tencubed

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »
No you are right, I thought the first response was a phone call and the second was a separate email, after reading some of these threads things get turned around. 
Man that sounds kinda dirty that it was shipped anyway.  And shipping cost these days is not cheap, so returning it would have cost another 25 bucks or so.  I could not get to there web site at work to check them out but will avoid them for their customer service issues.

The fact that one item, the Lee Cutter, was out of stock may have been why shipment was delayed but even then some kind of communication from the company to Slavage would have been in order.  All in all it would seem this company really dropped the ball in this matter.  Several of the posters listed incidents where improperly priced items were ordered and the prices adjusted by the companies involved but there was universally an effort by the company to make some sort of restitution for the error.  I suspect we have all experienced this at one time or another. 

In Slavage's case there is no report of any attempt to meet him halfway, so to speak.  I have no reason to doubt what Slavage has said and am taking this all at face value.  I believe the man has a legitimate grievance and am surprised at the rancor that has been directed toward him.

Hopefully this is a one time problem this company has had and they do an about face by at least promptly returning the mans money.  To do otherwise would be very poor business practice at best and downright dishonest at worst. 

Just my opinion but that's the way I see it.

Mike

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 09:13:42 PM »
I agree with your statement.  I did miss the out of stock item, so that may explain my concerns.  I do not think SLAVAGE has done any wrong here.  We have all bought something before in quantity because the price was right, even though we didn't need it.  If his intent was to resell the dies for a little profit more power to him.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 06:57:05 AM »
I have ordered from Lock, Stock and Barrel in the past and was pleased with their prices and service.  Obviously in this case, their was a misprint in the advertised price that you wished to take advantage of.  Did you call the company and inform them of the price of the dies on their website?  Or did you just try to sneak it by them by ordering three such die sets?  You tried to be sneaky, they corrected the price, and you were charged accordingly...where's the problem.  Just like when a cashier gives you too much change back, you show them the mistake, not sneak off with the extra money.

Jim

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Tencubed

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 07:35:55 AM »
I have ordered from Lock, Stock and Barrel in the past and was pleased with their prices and service.  Obviously in this case, their was a misprint in the advertised price that you wished to take advantage of.  Did you call the company and inform them of the price of the dies on their website?  Or did you just try to sneak it by them by ordering three such die sets?  You tried to be sneaky, they corrected the price, and you were charged accordingly...where's the problem.  Just like when a cashier gives you too much change back, you show them the mistake, not sneak off with the extra money.

Jim

As Slavage wrote in his post, he watched the site for three weeks and then ordered.  The price had been posted during this time as if it were a major sale.  It took the company two months to respond in spite of his numerous attempts to contact them.  The companies first contact stated the price was in error.  Mr Slavage responded that if the price he had ordered at was in error to cancel the order.

That should have stopped the entire process.  The company should have honored this request as the items had not been shipped.  What leads you to believe the man was trying to do other than buy something at a greatly reduced price?  I see nothing in this entire exchange that could lead me to believe there was any attempt by Slavage to "be sneaky".  Quite the contrary, the man said to cancel the order and if there was any attempt at being sneaky it was the company billing his card for more than he had authorized.

Going on the reasoning I'm seeing presented by several posters it would be logical to assume that it is a common practice to question the price of any gun on a gun rack that seems to have a really good price displayed.  I for one don't tell a dealer that he is not charging enough for a rifle and that I would feel "sneaky" if he didn't at least double the price.  Quite the contrary.  I'm like the majority of folks and will try to get the price lowered or perhaps a box of shells thrown into the deal.

When this company elected to ship an order there was some question about, they brought the subject of the price difference up, after the buyer had stated "I don't want it at that price" they were out of line.  Not a complicated scenario at all.  If you decide you don't want a pair of shoes that are overpriced and tell the clerk at the store "No, thanks anyway" you don't expect them to take the money from your wallet and bag up the shoes for you.  This is what LS&B did.  Pure and simple.

As I wrote before, I am surprised at the rancor directed toward Slavage and continue to be more amazed as this thread progresses.  If I have missed something in his post or if anyone has information that indicates my take on this is in error please point it out to me.  If I'm wrong I will apologize to all wronged by my reasoning.

Apparently this company has a lot of satisfied customers and this incident may be a one time thing.  Be that as it may customer loyalty does not make a wrong right nor does it make jumping on a victim correct.

Mike

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 12:41:05 AM »
Sounds too me like Stock and Barrel wanted the sale and took the chance of the order being accepted.
It also sounds like they are using the money while waiting for a period of time too repay it.
This does not sound like a sound company I would care too do business with.
The buyer went on the offer made and if they can't react faster there is something fishy with the business---IMO.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Tencubed

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 04:45:35 PM »
Seems that just three of us out of a dozen or so posters find fault with this companies business practice.  Apparently the majority believe what LS&B did here was acceptable and Slavage was out of line. 

Still fail to see the reasoning in this and find it troubling no one has explained where my thinking is off base.

Mike

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 05:22:40 PM »
Seems that just three of us out of a dozen or so posters find fault with this companies business practice.  Apparently the majority believe what LS&B did here was acceptable and Slavage was out of line. 

I think for myself. I do not need some one to tell me not to buy from some one or some where. Any time I here some one telling me DO NOT I tend to believe the person has a grudge and a short temper.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 01:23:23 AM »
 All these opinions could be valid..because our info is scant. I do firmly believe that if a customercalls before the order is shipped and says "cancel !" the
  whole process should have stopped there.
  If they had any doubts of the validity of the call, they could have gotten his phone # and made a call back. Likely he would be the only one out in
  the public that would be able to give them order numbers etc.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline daddyof4

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2008, 03:37:14 AM »
slavage,
 I used to work at one of their competitors for some years. They do indeed get misprints, just like we did. I remember a flyer getting out that had Federal Premium 470 Nitro ammo for 14.00 a box and not 140.00 a box. The main thing is when you called them and showed them the error how did they handle it. Did they refund your money on the returning of the dies or did they discount the dies and refund the rest of the purchase. Alot of times the printer can screw up, but remember you dealing with someone that has had a long day and they are trying their best to be efficient and nice. It is hard to do both after dealing with the public.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2008, 11:18:14 AM »
   Years ago i worked as a parts manager in an equipment company. If a customer came in and asked for a certain hydraulic cylinder for instance, I may well go
   back to the hydraulics dept and bring the cylinder forward  If the customer says, "how much ?" and I say $1256; the customer says, "that's too much, I won't buy it !"
    Right there the whole process stops !
  That is why I said the important part was if Slavage caught them before it was shipped. I have sold some items at misprint prices, just to preserve customer satisfaction.
  As long asthe price is one that could be confused honestly, some of the markup can be "swallowed".
   $4.95 for a carbide die set, does seem a bit "Alice in Wonderland".
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)