Author Topic: Small Pocket Navy problem  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Oquirrh

• Trade Count: (0)
Small Pocket Navy problem
« on: June 03, 2008, 12:26:32 PM »
I just got a really nice second-hand Uberti Cimarron Pocket Navy from another BP shooter. Just beautiful. but it's a bear to load. besides those tiny .36 balls in my big arthritic mitts, I can't put caps on it without removing the cylinder. The cutout doesn't provide enough clearance for the caps to slide down when the cylinder is in the frame. Has anyone else run into this?

I made a block so I can use my loading stand (i've got a ROA) with the Pocket Navy. And fortunately the wedge goes in and out with some solid finger pressure, so disassembly isn't hard. But disassembling just to cap is a pain and I don't want to buy a .36 cylinder loader--if someone even makes one.

the previous owner put Ampco bronze nipples on it and I'm wondering if they are longer than the original Ubertis. ?

It goes without saying that my inline capper won;t work with it.

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
Re: Small Pocket Navy problem
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 12:52:26 AM »
I have been waiting to see if someone had a plan that wouldn't require altering the pistol.  I believe your Cimarron was made by Uberti, and shares a common frame with my Uberti pocket police.
    I was having the same difficulty capping, that you describe. What I did, was put a small grinding wheel in a Dremel tool, and ground a notch into the frame, similar to the one on the 1860 Army. I quit at the right depth, so that a cap lays in it, and can be pushed on with a piece of 1/4 inch dowel pin. After cutting the new mortice, I polished it, and using a Q tip, applied just enough cold blue to discolor the bright metal to match the case color near it.  Looks like it belongs there, and made capping much easier.
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline Oquirrh

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 07:21:15 PM »
Good idea. It turned out the origina owner had the wrong Treso nipples on it. I put the stock ones back on until I can get the correct Tresos. Ii can cap it by hand with the original nipples.

Offline longcaribiner

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 09:43:08 AM »
I have an Uberti 1862 police, purchased brand new.  It is an incredble PIA to shoot, cap fragments keep falling down into the crevice between the hammer and frame and jamming up the works for the next shot.  With No 11 caps it jams 4 out of 5 shots.  I switched to No 10 caps and the problem inproved only slightly.  Still two jams out of five shots.  My other revolvers fire just fine with No 11, CCI  caps.      Some body told me to replace the nipples with Ruger OA nipples.  Huh?  Are they even threaded the same?   

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 04:43:42 PM »
longcaribiner, 
      The small mortices and clearances on the small frame revolvers certainly do present a lot of fragment traps.  However, two to four jams per loading is a LOT !!!
     Are you pointing that little hog leg at the sky when you cock it ?  If not, try to do so, and most times the junk will fall free.
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline Sir Charles deMoutonBlack

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 04:37:39 AM »
ROA nipples, while not exactly the same thread (metric v. US), are VERY close and do fit Uberti made revolvers.  Great way to use up #11 nipples.

Offline Cactus Cris

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 02:48:23 PM »
Last time I looked, Uberti & ROA nipps have the same thread size.  12x28.  Piettia is the metric one.  5x75mm
Cactus Cris  SASS 2790  Darkside Posse, Cart maker, Corral Keeper, Gpa of 6

Offline Smokin_Gun

• Mosby's Rangers 43rd Virginia Cavalry C.S.A.
    • VoyForums: Black Powder Message Board
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 09:18:34 PM »
I have a couple sets of cone commin' from Thunder Ridge Muzzleloading...Here the Chart for two types of cones... I like the TRM ones myself. They even list them for a Santa Barbara Rem.

http://www.thunder-ridge-muzzleloading.com/nip_x_ref.htm#asm

SG
I Smoke Black Powder / Prefer an 1858 Remington
Voy.com/60048/
SASS# 19634

Offline Oquirrh

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 06:07:08 PM »
Last time I looked, Uberti & ROA nipps have the same thread size.
This is true, but the Uberti pocket Navy has a lower profile than larger models. I'm planning on ordering some Tresos when I get the proper stock no. I had some Tresos that were in the navy but they were too long and I couldn't get the caps on. I put the stock nips back in and fixed that but I still have a lot of fragment jams. [I used the Uberti's Tresos in my ROA.]