Author Topic: Thank you Graybeards Outdoors for this opportunity !!!  (Read 1443 times)

Offline Gatto_Gunmaker

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Osvaldo Gatto Antique Weapons
Thank you Graybeards Outdoors for this opportunity !!!
« on: June 04, 2008, 08:20:29 AM »
Osvaldo Gatto Antique Weapons want to salute GBO forum members and colleagues.
From this day we are  sponsor of this site.   :D

You know that we produce more than 22 models cannons, and our firm don't have at this time "seller in the USA". For that reason and until this change, we sell to you directly from Argentina all entire products line.

Please visit the classified section and our website www.osvaldogatto.com.ar to see more available models.

Thank you
OG.
Osvaldo Gatto Antique Weapons
The Mark of the History
www.osvaldogatto.com.ar

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
Re: Thank you Graybeards Outdoors for this opportunity !!!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 01:57:40 PM »
I sure hope you succed in the selling to USA.

hope you not are angry at me because of all my questions ,
but when it comes to safety I cant look in another direction .

Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 02:06:31 PM »
Osvaldo,

Welcome and thank you for helping sponsor our board. We appreciate your help.  I updated the sponsor list with your information. GBO Blackpowder Mortar and Cannon Board Sponsors

Gent's when you are looking for Cannons and Cannon accessories look to sponsors first...they are the ones who make this board possible.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 02:14:06 PM »
Gatto,

I see you advertise a 2" seamless liner for N-SSA. However, I believe this is considered a reduced bore/scale cannon and this would not be allowed for their competitions. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I commend you on the seamless liner and feel that you should make that a standard for every cannon you sell.

This is a quote from the N-SSA rule book.

Section 10.2

"A cannon with a reduced bore is considered a scale replica gun, and is, therefore, not allowed, unless already in N-SSA use as of February 1, 1996."
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 04:53:36 PM »
Welcome!

I noticed that in addition to cannon you also make firearms, specifically, a wheel-lock pistol I saw in one of your videos.  I'd be very interested in getting some idea of what you would charge for a wheellock musket (cheek stock style) or a pistol like the one shown.

Offline Gatto_Gunmaker

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 02:57:26 AM »
Dan,

I don't be angry with you.
I don't be angry with anyone in the forum.   :D :D
Thank you for your comments.

I want to say regarding the reduction in caliber, because of the seamless tube in which the rules of N-SSA I could see that the calibers for events begin at 2 inches and end at 4.6 inches.
I take into account the diameter at the rear of cannon, that bore caliber to occupy third diameter (Breech)
I have 6.7 inches (Breech) and 2 inches of caliber.
If I take into account the rules of N-SSA, I would not be able to build my cannon with the highest caliber.
"2-inches caliber is the correct caliber."
Not correspond to a reduction caliber.
I send the tube placed and ready to use.

I continue to manufacture 3-inch caliber, now with seamless tube, but this cannon not be suitable for events of N-SSA. Of course that is fully secure. ;)

I consider that a cannon is a big pistol. Ok?

Imagine a pistol with walls that the N-SSA to consider requiring insurance. This is madness.
The N-SSA wanting to be more Catholic than the pope.   ;D ;D
And I respect that !!!
O.G.
The Mark of the History
www.osvaldogatto.com.ar

Offline Gatto_Gunmaker

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 03:16:30 AM »
Thank you gulfcoastblackpowder,

Yes, it is true I also manufacture pistols and Musquets. (17 models in total)

The Wheellock pistol model is the most complicated and costly than we produce.

For the moment, we do not manufacture Wheellock musquets.

The price of Wheellock pistol is 2200 dollars including shipping.

Greetings
O.G.
The Mark of the History
www.osvaldogatto.com.ar

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 09:55:23 AM »
the N-Ssa rules you have read are correct but you have mis read them, if a gun during the war was a 3in bore then it must be a three inch bore to pass. if it was a 2.25 it must be a 2.25 to pass inspection. no under or over sized barrels for full scale guns.
  sorry,
we shoot cannons and mortars up to 10 inch bore in the barrels. after that they kind of get heavy.

rick bryan
 N-Ssa
 3rd va. co B.

Offline HuecoDoc

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 03:36:50 PM »
the N-Ssa rules you have read are correct but you have mis read them, if a gun during the war was a 3in bore then it must be a three inch bore to pass. if it was a 2.25 it must be a 2.25 to pass inspection. no under or over sized barrels for full scale guns.

I think Osvaldo has run into this problem with the N-SSA rules:
No reproduction barrel shall be approved after March 1, 1986, which does not have one caliber's thickness of metal surrounding the bore at the breech.

A cannon with a reduced bore is considered a scale replica gun, and is, therefore, not allowed, unless already in N-SSA use as of February 1, 1996.

I think someone has interpreted the rules to refer to one bore diameter (of the powder chamber) of metal must surround the powder chamber, but they do not show an inner powder chamber or mention one.  It does not seem possible to produce a Model 1841 Mtn Howitzer that would meet their specifications.  Outside dimensions would need to be altered considerably to allow 4.62" of metal all around the breech plug.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 03:46:52 PM »
  The artillery inspecter for the N-Ssa lives 2 miles from me and use to shoot on my team,  so from good info i say.
only gun that had powder chamebers shall have a chamber ,
 basicly the rules are if it is a cast gun it must have a seamless steel liner. and the gun must be made esactly as to a orginal gun with in a 10% tolerance. and the breach of the gun must be cuped to prevent a sharp are that a bruch cannot reach to clean it properly. shall not have any area where powder can stay hot after firing.

yes there are many rules and specs. but the gun must be as a original was made adn be safe.

a 3 in ordonance rifle cannot have a bore of 2.5 it must be 3inches. a 24 lb coehorn must have a bore of 5.82. not 5. or 6. or even 2.25 like some of the so called 24 lb mortars i have seen forsale on the internect.

the rules are there to keep everyone safe. and to preserve the guns to what they are spose to be.

be safe, shoot often, and most of all have fun.

Rick bryan
N-Ssa
3rd va. co.B

Offline HuecoDoc

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 03:54:08 PM »
  only gun that had powder chamebers shall have a chamber ,
 basicly the rules are if it is a cast gun it must have a seamless steel liner. and the gun must be made esactly as to a orginal gun with in a 10% tolerance. and the breach of the gun must be cuped to prevent a sharp are that a bruch cannot reach to clean it properly. shall not have any area where powder can stay hot after firing.

yes there are many rules and specs. but the gun must be as a original was made adn be safe.

So a Mtn Howitzer cannot be produced that would be approved?

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 04:02:58 PM »
but this is all null and void because non of the cannons that he produces at the present time would be allowed in N-Ssa competition,  Noe i am sure he can prodoce some and make lots of money at it. but the mortars were not used in the war, nad the cannon carriage in built incorrectly. every aspect of the gun must be correct. even down the how the wheels look. no steel hub wheels, all proper hardware. he makes very nice liooking and probly well shooting guns. i would love to have one of his barrless just to have some fun with out on the marsh.

I hope he will in the future be able to produce a correct scale gun and sell it. a parrot rifle goes for about 12000 dollars right now. so there is money in making them.

I tell you what if you are able to produce a 2.25 confederate mountian rifle barrel, hell just the barrel for a good price they would sell like hot cakes.

but get the carriage plans of the net and see what you can do.
happy building.

rick bryan
N-Ssa
3rd va. co B.

yes mountian howiters can be made and are being made and shoot. but they must have correct bore size. there are alot of companies making them in 2.25 nad that is not correct. you can put that gun ont a pack, model1 or model2 praire carriage. they look best of the pack tho,  and fit in the back fo a truck better that way. or hell i have seen people put one in the back of a dodge mini van.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 04:16:19 PM »
I tell you what if you are able to produce a 2.25 confederate mountian rifle barrel, hell just the barrel for a good price they would sell like hot cakes.

Oh, yeah. I second that! ;D

Offline HuecoDoc

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 04:18:38 PM »
Simple math tells me that a full bore Mtn Howitzer cannot be made that would conform to the rules.  Within correct external dimensions, one cannot surround the breech with one bore caliber of metal, not of the projectile bore or even powder chamber bore.

Offline Gatto_Gunmaker

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 05:15:53 PM »
No hueco, don't expend your time...

When a person having envy, until the production speed and the price is a problem.

Someone who makes a rule where no matter what type of material cannon (bronze, iron or steel), not understanding the strength of the materials.
I can live happy without N-SSA for a long time and many people being happy with my work.
I never manufacture rifle cannons.
I do not manufacture cannon 2.25 inches.

I insist the rules are the rules, Ok
But a cannon is like a big pistol, everything is proportional.
Imagine then a pistol with a diameter greater than three size caliber. It is crazy.

My cannons models are essentially European.
Many also use models in America.
That's all. A person like my product, buy and ready to.  ;)
The Mark of the History
www.osvaldogatto.com.ar

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 05:35:22 PM »
Gatto,

If you do not meet N-SSA standards to shoot in their competition that's fine. But, you should at least manufacture your cannons with a reasonable seamless liner for safety reasons. I cannot tell you how many older Artilleryman Magazines (80's vintage) I have gone through in the last week where someone was injured because of a premature firing caused by an ember that was trapped in the seam of the liner. This was not just one incident but many. Most of these ended up in litigation.

You make a nice product that just needs a bit of refining to make it safer. The cost between a seamless liner and a seamed liner is minimal. Specially when it comes to life and limb.

Offline Gatto_Gunmaker

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 06:33:36 AM »
Thank you for all tips,

But it seems that people not read correctly what I write on many occasions.
I would be very frustrated by repeating the same thing over and over again.
""From now on I do cannons with seamless tube""
Do not be difficult to understand this, I say this several times before.
Not having sense a forum if not then read the answers.
You have a cannon of my manufacturing and still be alive and funny.
You can shoot golf balls without any problems with that cannon.
O.G.
The Mark of the History
www.osvaldogatto.com.ar

Offline HuecoDoc

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 07:46:34 AM »
Osvaldo is making seamless steel sleeved tubes now.  He would also like to build some full scale tubes to meet N-SSA rules, and he is eager to get started.  Until he can find answers to the questions I posed above to clarify breech construction, he can't begin stocking needed material.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 11:52:19 AM »
We are talking two different things here.

1. A cannon constructed for use in N-SSA competion.  That Cannon will will have two basic components.
  • It will be constructed to replicate an original Civil War era Cannon
  • It it would have to meet N-SSA safety reguirements

or

2. Any other cannon constructed for safe use in the U.S. using N-SSA safety standards for construction.