Author Topic: fouling shots  (Read 923 times)

Offline MikeC

• Trade Count: (3)
fouling shots
« on: June 05, 2008, 06:09:20 AM »
In preparing for a first range trip to sight in, I was wondering about fouling shots in a hunting situation.
If the best accuracy is obtained by shooting a already fired and swabbed barrel and then swabbing between each shot,
where do you shoot the fouling shot when hunting. Obviously the side of the road where I park is not a good choice. At my stand
seems a bad choice because I like to get in quietly. Also it is usually dark when I arrive.

Is it OK to shoot the night before and leave the gun "fouled" and swabbed for days at a time (lets assume 777 powder).

I suppose I could try to sight in on a clean barrel and try to completely clean between each shot at the range.

What do you think? 

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
Re: fouling shots
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 06:15:17 AM »
1st shot is what matters the most to me. Knowing where the second shot and 3rd shot goes is always important. The only time i ever noticed my rifle shot different was when using triple 7.  first shot, dead on, next 2-6 shots were 3" higher than the first.  Went back to pyrodex for consistent groups.

Offline ronbow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 07:54:40 AM »
If you can, try the different situations at the range. I seem to be able to group about 5 before I notice a difference (including the clean barrel shot). I always pop 2 or 3 caps before loading.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 03:53:25 PM »
I don't use a fouling shot and don't think they are needed. I sight my muzzleloader's in with a clean barrel, it takes more work cleaning after each shot, but once you get the gun dialed in with a clean barrel, you don't have to worry about a fouling shot. When it come time for hunting just use a clean barrel, I do and it works well.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 04:29:19 PM »
I don't use a fouling shot and don't think they are needed. I sight my muzzleloader's in with a clean barrel, it takes more work cleaning after each shot, but once you get the gun dialed in with a clean barrel, you don't have to worry about a fouling shot. When it come time for hunting just use a clean barrel, I do and it works well.

I agree. You aren't going to be able to get a second shot off with a ML anyway.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline MikeC

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 05:02:49 PM »
Thanks, that is what I was thinking. Now, I expect there will be a different answer from everyone, but what do you completely clean with between shots. I have heard either windex or alchol works. I was thinking of Hoppies 9 Plus.

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 05:26:45 PM »
I have a little plastic bottle that i first fill half way with windex and then pour some dishsoap and add water to top it off. Shake and its ready to go.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 12:22:08 AM »
Thanks, that is what I was thinking. Now, I expect there will be a different answer from everyone, but what do you completely clean with between shots. I have heard either windex or alchol works. I was thinking of Hoppies 9 Plus.

I use Windex with vinegar on patches, I follow with a dry patch and then a patch with break free and then by a patch with bore butter. I do this because, after a range secession, I clean my gun the same way and actually store it with the bore butter in the barrel, now it is not a bunch of bore butter, it is just enough to leave a fine film in the barrel.
When I get ready to hunt, I do not run a dry patch in the barrel, I leave the light film of bore butter in the barrel and just dump my triple 7 powder down the barrel and then the bullet. I have never had a fail to fire, even if the gun was not shot for weeks.

Also if I was lucky enough to get a shot,  my second reload was not hard to get down the barrel and was as accurate as the first load. I have been doing this for so many years and it works for me.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline flintlock

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 01:10:55 AM »
With my inline, I always clean and lube the barrel between shots, even when hunting...

I carry a ziplock bag in a pocket of my hunting vest...In it I have the cleaning jag, clean patches, a Murine bottle with rubbing alcohol and a bottle of Rem Oil...

After killing a deer with the first shot, I screw on the jag, dampen 2 patches with alcohol, run them down the barrel (both sides), run a dry patch down then lube a patch lightly with the oil, run down the barrel and finally fun a dry patch down...It takes about 3 minutes, I'm reloaded and ready for deer number 2 within 4-5 minutes...

When sighting in I do the same, with the exception that after a shot or two, I go with 3 alcohol patches...I learned about a dozen years ago that some guys don't lube their barrel after shooting when sighting in, this changes the groups as well as just cleaning...

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 01:39:20 PM »
I just use a 50/50 mix of Windex and water. Then I run a dry patch followed by Breakfree. I do the same when I clean the gun for storage.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline rebAL

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 04:50:11 PM »
The only time i ever noticed my rifle shot different was when using triple 7. 
  Just opposite for me.  One of primary reasons for my using 777 is due to first shot out of clean barrel is much more consistent than any other propellant I have tried. Before hunting,  I like to foul my bore with just musket caps though so my conical won't slip off charge.