Author Topic: Secret Security Pact Will Ensure Permanent Iraq Occupation  (Read 1028 times)

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)

Secret Security Pact Will Ensure Permanent Iraq Occupation
Election of new U.S. president will not change policy

Steve Watson
Infowars.net
Thursday, June 5, 2008

Details of the secretive U.S.-Iraqi security pact, leaked to the media in the past few days, confirm an agenda that many critics of the Iraq war have been shouting from the rooftops for years.

The neocons in the White House are pushing for permanent occupation of the country and the right to launch pre-emptive military strikes on any country from inside Iraq.

The London Independent reports:

The terms of the impending deal, details of which have been leaked to The Independent, are likely to have an explosive political effect in Iraq. Iraqi officials fear that the accord, under which US troops would occupy permanent bases, conduct military operations, arrest Iraqis and enjoy immunity from Iraqi law, will destabilise Iraq's position in the Middle East and lay the basis for unending conflict in their country. [...]

Under the terms of the new treaty, the Americans would retain the long-term use of more than 50 bases in Iraq. American negotiators are also demanding immunity from Iraqi law for US troops and contractors, and a free hand to carry out arrests and conduct military activities in Iraq without consulting the Baghdad government.

Further details have emerged from senior Iraqi military sources who have detailed the wish on behalf of the White House to control Iraqi airspace below 29,000ft and secure the right to launch military campaigns against other countries from inside Iraq:

The military source added, "According to this agreement, the American forces will keep permanent military bases on Iraqi territory, and these will include Al Asad Military base in the Baghdadi area close to the Syrian border, Balad military base in northern Baghdad close to Iran, Habbaniyah base close to the town of Fallujah and the Ali Bin Abi Talib military base in the southern province of Nasiriyah close to the Iranian border."

Naturally, the details have provoked strong reaction from the Iranian government. Iraq's most revered Shia cleric Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani has stated that he will not allow Iraq to sign the deal with "the US occupiers" as long as he was alive.

The Bush administration, primarily Dick Cheney's office, is pushing the Iraqi government to sign the deal by the end of next month. It is thought that the Iraqi government will do so as it is effectively powerless without U.S. backing and would almost certainly be ousted.

(Article continues below)

Even both Democratic presidential candidates, Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama have previously asserted that the Bush junta is trying to lock a new president into a long-term presence. The security pact would mean any proposals to withdraw troops from Iraq by Obama, should he be elected, would effectively be scuppered.

The neocon militaristic approach to globalist domination of the region would therefore continue into a Obama presidency, whether his own power brokers and kingpins, such as Trilateral Commission founder Zbigniew Brzezinski, liked it or not.

Bush-a-like John McCain's views on the occupation are now legendary thanks to his "100 years is fine" comments.

Earlier this year, White House Press Secretary Perino provided an example of the administration’s incredible doublespeak on permanent bases, arguing the White House does not view any U.S. military installations overseas as being “permanent”:

“The United States, where we are, where we have bases, we are there at the invitation of those countries. I’m not aware of any place in the world — where we have a base — that they are asking us to leave. And if they did, we would probably leave,” said spokeswoman Dana Perino. […]

Top aides to US President George W. Bush have countered that the strife-torn country’s government could ask US forces to leave at any time, meaning that bases are not technically “permanent.”

Administration officials have keenly used the words "continuing" or "enduring" in reference to bases, rather than "permanent" bases.

Though Congress voted to ban permanent bases in Iraq last year, the administration effectively ignored the ruling as the President issued a "signing statement" claiming he reserved the right to disregard a section that bars funding for permanent bases as he signed the fiscal year 2008 defense authorization bill into law.

Defense Secretary Gates commented in January "I think it is pretty clear that such an agreement would not talk about force levels. It would not involve -- we have no interest in permanent bases,".

Back in February, Gates and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice wrote in the Washington Post, “nothing will authorize permanent bases in Iraq (something neither we nor Iraqis want).”

Despite this empty rhetoric, the Pentagon continues to spend billions on the construction of permanent bases. And still the military continues to deny that it has plans for any permanent military bases.

Many analysts have documented the desire to establish a long-term military presence in Iraq as one of the primary reasons behind the 2003 neocon led invasion. Joseph Gerson, a historian of American military bases, said:

"The Bush administration's intention is to have a long-term military presence in the region ... For a number of years the US has sought to use a number of means to make sure it dominates in the Middle East ... The Bush administration sees Iraq as an unsinkable aircraft carrier for its troops and bases for years to come."

Zoltan Grossman, a geographer at Evergreen State College in Washington, said:

"After every US military intervention since 1990 the Pentagon has left behind clusters of new bases in areas where it never before had a foothold. The new string of bases stretch from Kosovo and adjacent Balkan states, to Iraq and other Persian Gulf states, into Afghanistan and other central Asian states ... The only two obstacles to a geographically contiguous US sphere of influence are Iran and Syria."

Former President Jimmy Carter has also spoken of the plan for permanent bases in the region:

"[T]here are people in Washington … who never intend to withdraw military forces from Iraq and they’re looking for ten, 20, 50 years in the future … the reason that we went into Iraq was to establish a permanent military base in the gulf region, and I have never heard any of our leaders say that they would commit themselves to the Iraqi people that ten years from now there will be no military bases of the United States in Iraq."

Congressman Ron Paul also highlighted the ongoing effort to establish a permanent occupation during the presidential debates last year when he said:

“They attack us because we’ve been over there. We’ve been bombing Iraq for 10 years. … We’ve been in the Middle East,” Paul said in explaining his opposition to going to war in Iraq. “Right now, we’re building an embassy in Iraq that is bigger than the Vatican. We’re building 14 permanent bases. What would we say here if China was doing this in our country or in the Gulf of Mexico? We would be objecting.

We have previously covered in depth the documented Pentagon programs to stoke violence and civil war in Iraq as a pretext to stay there, build permanent bases and dominate the region.

The invasion and occupation of Iraq was never about the "democracy crap", as one unnamed official so succinctly put it. The neocon architects of the invasion always intended to gain total control over the country in order to secure a permanent ability to launch attacks and military interventions anywhere in the region, be it Iran, Syria, or any other nation who might challenge the new world order President H.W. Bush so proudly announced in 1991.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline SHOOTALL

Re: Secret Security Pact Will Ensure Permanent Iraq Occupation
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 04:45:42 AM »
they take over no-tell motel and 7/11 here and we build first strike bases there !
Sounds very tidy to me !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 05:39:58 AM »
Ho Hum, we have bases in England, Japan, Taiwan, Germany, Cuba, etc, etc, etc with many or all of the same conditions.  Why should a GI stationed in Japan be required to observe whatever the Japanese religious rituals were?  Why couldn't a GI stationed in Irag be able to have a drink on base. Anything to make America look bad, right?  I think as volitile as the area is, it is not a bad idea to have a presence there.

I guess if the dems and libs and muck rakers tried hard enough, they could make Mother Teresa look like a slut. 

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 06:35:58 AM »
Maybe I was wrong, but I always assumed we'd have a base of operations there for a long, long time.  Not arguing for or against, just under the assumption that that was a foregone conclusion.

I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing to have bases right there in the heart of the Middle East.  That being said, I too am ready for the bulk of troops to come home and those staying to be as safe as possible within our bases.  I think our bases there offer us a presence without the day-to-day walking the streets.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 11:57:08 AM »
Gee, TM, having an American presence in a foreign country is a new and novel idea and Bush thought it up all by himself.  Dang, who'd a thunk it. 

The Marine Corp hymn begins "From the Halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli".  Wonder what they mean by that??  Nahhhh, 230 years ago they weren't already figuring out a way to help Bush's big oil buddies were they? 

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 01:16:51 PM »
You bet, TM. And when some dissadent get on an American airplane full of your kin folks in July wearing an overcoat and about 40# of plastic and the Captain tells you "just relax folks, our react team will be in in oh about 18 hours. Unless they have to change planes in London. Our toilets and Abugolly ought to be pretty ripe by then." 

Unless one of these "saviours" you're hoping for gets in the White House and decides to disband the military and turn the bases into homeless shelters.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 04:21:30 PM »
Beeman & Tribready;
  Thanks for a bit of common sense..Being able to maintain a ready-forward base in various parts of the world is a big, fat plus. It multiplies our super power status
  by being where we can get to trouble spots within a few minutes to an hour..rather than to have to prepare and mount a strike force or expedition from 12,000
  miles and 24 air hours away !
  If we could have kept the big airbase in the Philipines, we would have..and we have had a presence there since the Spanish-American war, about 110 years ago..
  and imagine, we didn't have any "neocons" then !

This announcement if true, may be great fodder of alarm for the historically/strategically ignorant...but for the thinking person who is historically and strategically
   aware it is a non-starter..

Overall; the piece cited is just about what one would expect from a far left publication such as  the London independent..rather like a NY Times or a Dan blather
    "hit piece"..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 02:40:14 AM »

ANTIGONISH

As I was going up the stair;
                   I met a man who wasn't there !
                     He wasn't there again today;
                   I wish, I wish he'd go away !

William Hughes Mearns

His advice for conspiracy theorists...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 02:41:43 AM »
TM, How to pay for it is a concept you Libs just can't understand.  "rape, pillage and plunder".  Somewhere along the line you folks dropped the word plunder out of the sequence and replaced it with "starve yourself in order to build the country you've just leveled into a society greater than your own so the Libs can brag about how great things are "over there" and how crappy they are at home". Maybe we should put plunder back into the equation.  :D :D  (just kidding, kinda)

However, the reason Japan and Germany emerged so quickly as industrial giants after WW2 was because we has completely destroyed their industrial capabilities and WE replaced it with cutting edge machinery and technology that was often superoir to our own.  And it was pretty much free of cost. 

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 02:52:27 AM »
TM, in the by the way department, you worry about the angst, let's look at sub Saharan Africa, aka black, we have feed those folks, we have doctored those folks, we have taught those folks, we have trained those folks, we have done everything possible to help those people be self-suficient, productive races. And we have done it in an open-handed, loving manner.  And they are still killing and eating one another.  And hating us in the process. 
So I say, why bother. 
The angst comes because we give them money.  They, and that includes them all, anglos, blacks, browns, yellows, take the money but resent it. 

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 10:32:19 AM »
TM, did you want to see the tons of food and medicine being shipped over to professional welfare countries? Or did you want to see US Marines being dragged thru the streets while kids mugged for the cameras and hacked at the bodies? 

Iraqi oil for Iraqi freedom?? Sure.  I don't have a problem with it.  Just like I don't have a problem with these able bodied welfarers in WV out picking up trash along the highways and cutting weeds.  Women who's babies are delivered free scrubbing the floors in the hospital?  Emptying bed pans, doling out meals.  Do you have a problem with that?  Maybe we should have left Hussein in charge. Or in stead of "liberating" the place, just annexed it.  For their own good, of course. :D

My point is to look out for our own interest.  Forget about "gee, they may think we're bullies". If it's to our advantage to unseat a despot, do it and don't apologize. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 10:38:46 AM »
The problem in Iraq is they knew they could not beat Sadam , but they think they can beat us !
At some point we will either leave or prove they can't beat us .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 01:56:27 PM »
  There you go Beeman..talking logic !   I must remind you, "logic" is not found in the liberal lexicon...

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 04:07:55 PM »
GREAT! We need a base there. Contrary to what the nieve, tin foil hat crowd says, the muslims are a danger to the world. We need to be there to react fast and to be able to snuff out these vicious animals.  Now you tinfoil hat kiddies keep believing that the muslims are all nice and cuddly, heck why don't you go move over there and see how nicethey are since they areso good and the USA so bad.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 05:16:48 PM »
  That's a lot of adjectives you tacked on me ..too bad none of them apply. those are your 'straw men" not mine..
   go ahead and knock them down;..you set them up !  ...LOL

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 05:50:14 PM »
  There you go Beeman..talking logic !   I must remind you, "logic" is not found in the liberal lexicon...
IG...I don't think you'd recognize a conservative if one walked up and bit you in the arse. Your modus operandi and life philosophy is given to war, religious fanaticism, zealotry, murder, death worship, class warfare, personality cults, and international pyramid building.....all very sad and all done why professing acceptance of Jesus.

..TM7

There is a huge difference being a conservative compared to an isolationist.  That is not necessarily conservative.  A conservative recognizes the capitalistic nature of economics and a fundamental interpretation of law.  These principles are not always inline with isolationists, who's primary concept is more inline with nuetrality and internal economics, instead of global markets.  Obama could easily be an isolationist and still enact liberal economic policies internally.  That would not make him a conservative.  A conservative does not necessarily mean war monger.  Nor does liberal philosophy mean a dove, just look at the Soviet Union.  I think the Bush bashers have and are using whatever insulting terms they can find to re enforce their political, religious, or economic views, while calling themselves conservatives, when what they mean are isolationists.   
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.