Author Topic: My First Thundermug & Pics  (Read 534 times)

Offline Dross Drunk

• Trade Count: (0)
My First Thundermug & Pics
« on: June 07, 2008, 10:51:23 AM »
 ;D

My 1st.Thundermug.......

7.5 inches tall 4.8 inches outer diameter with a bore diameter of 1.6 inches, 5 inches deep, it's made of 4140 alloy, I added the stand and extra plate for slight tilting just as a display piece for the mantle, the wife especially liked the way I made it look like a porcelain coffee cup without the handle.

IT has USA on the front and back with artzy eagles on either side,and at the base of the mug and the stand it says "Let freedom ring" which it does.

I have added a carbon steel plate for fuse protection on one side,and a name plate in brass on the other, the name "Joker" I picked up from an article about a 16th century thundermug, it was mentioned that when the group in this particular story had run low on  wadding or shot, they would load up their powder testers or thundermugs, and let them rip to make the opposing forces think twice about how well armed they were,and in this article they referred to it as their joker, in one circumstance this little blaster held the oposition at bay long enough for reinforcements to arrive and save the day.......

As my first Thundermug build I wanted something nearly indestructible,and I believe this might be it, although to date I have only tested this with 2oz of 2fg, and a paper wad on top,and it has lived up to it's name......it shook the earth (((WELL)))
Your efforts towards 100% safety are nearly impossible,and to assume you have achieved it, is the height of folly........

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: My First Thundermug & Pics
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 11:19:10 AM »

Well a confession here, When I saw this picture by its self I thought---wow that a pretty fancy 4th of July TP holder!!!

Nice!!!!

Offline Dross Drunk

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 12:25:37 PM »

LOL

That's a riot, I just realized when I looked at the pics again,that the sun reflected so well off the surface that it did look like a roll of toilet paper, and I laughed out loud...

I will explain the painted surface,.....for any interested...

I honed the barrel, and  then finished sanded the steel,  then put on a couple coats of flat white prime,  I then painted it gloss white about 3 coats,with 3 coats of clear on top........ sanding between all coats for glass appearance

I assembled the artwork on my computer from various internet sources and a little of my own,and printed that on a decal type transfer paper, this is then coated about 3 times in clear to make it tough enough to apply.......once dry, it's then detached from the backing with water and then placed on the MUG, once all the air was pressed out like with any vinyl transfer, I then added another 4 coats of clear..... for the finished look.....

It actually serves a couple of purposes, one it does protect the outside walls of the MUG ,and besides it made the wife allow it in the house as decor, around the holidays.....

If I'm careful this should last me a lifetime..........

I'm adding 2 closer photos to try and confirm that it is actually steel not porcelain or Charmin...lol.....hey look a touch hole ! lol...

Your efforts towards 100% safety are nearly impossible,and to assume you have achieved it, is the height of folly........

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 01:19:16 PM »
Dross Drunk ., Definitely a unique and nice piece to add to anyones collection. Congradulations on your collectable ground-pounder