Author Topic: Ruger revolver question.  (Read 904 times)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Ruger revolver question.
« on: June 09, 2008, 08:26:26 AM »
I have been shooting a ruger gp100 and a recently acquired ruger super redhawk in 44mag.  My trigger finger is starting to get beat up on the side from the edge of the triggers on these guns.  Is this happening to anyone else?  I can hardly shoot 100 rounds out of either of these guns without the edge of the trigger making my finger raw.  Both of these guns are great and I shoot well with both, but I need to get something figured out for them.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: Ruger revolver question.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 09:21:14 AM »
You could try rounding the edges off with some emery cloth. I haven't had that problem though.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline ELMO

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 02:17:39 AM »
     On double action revolvers I use more trigger finger on trigger. Like up to second knuckle on index finger. On single action I use maybe first knuckle or just the tip of index finger. I shoot both of the guns you mentioned and the only thing I have a problem with is the recoil of the .44 mag. It pounds the palm of my hand pretty good, but I'm going to try Hogue grips for that. You might try some type of shooting glove if problem continues, they make some nice batting or golf gloves that aren't too bulky and fit your hand snuggly.....Good luck to ya!!!   

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 02:46:55 AM »
I'll give what you're talking about a try.  You're right about the hogue grips.  Both my revolvers have hogue tamer grips on them and I couldn't be more happy with them.

Offline Tom C.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 03:31:36 AM »
I have several Ruger double action revolvers, and in each case, I had to disassemble the gun and radius and smooth the upper edge of the trigger. Fortunately Rugers are easy to disassemble, but they come with a nasty edge.
Tom

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 04:09:15 AM »
Finally, someone who feels my pain!  lol

Offline irold

• Trade Count: (22)
  • A Real Regular
  • "Live today , for tomorrow may never come"
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 04:42:51 PM »
Presently , I own and use both a Redhawk , and a SRH...one in 44 , the other in 454 or 45 .......I've never had any problems with my trigger finger.  On occasion I will hammer the off hand index finger with the trigger guard , generally when I'm practicing with some hot loaded 454s.   Maybe your form is a little off ??  I use the pad of the index finger , first joint....good luck

Offline Tom C.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 08:23:13 AM »
I think it is more a matter of hand position. I then to have my hand high on the grip. As a result, my trigger finger is high on the trigger. The convex upper edges of the trigger can be pretty sharp. I just radius them and the problem is solved.
Tom

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 11:54:03 AM »
I have a Yugo sks that likes to bite my trigger finger on the safety lever.  I use gloves or move my hand back abit to avoid that, my Chinese and Russian SKS rifles do not hurt me like that. 

On the Ruger revolvers you might want to change your hand position, or shoot them single action.  I have a GP 100 that has never caused a problem, but I only shoot my double action revolvers in a single action mode, it is a habit and helps the accuracy as well.  You might also want to check
Brownells and see if there is an aftermarket trigger that you can install, they have lots of stuff, and the Rugers are popular too. 

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 01:11:05 PM »
I had a Redhawk that was an amazing shooter, however, it beat my fingers to death. A padded glove helped, but the only way to solve the problem was to trade it for a Bisley.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."