Author Topic: TRICK QUESTION  (Read 903 times)

Offline jbirdwell

• Trade Count: (0)
TRICK QUESTION
« on: June 09, 2008, 01:35:14 PM »
O.K. guys, here is a trick question. will a heavy barrel .243 shoot any better than the 20" .243 or should i just move on to a different cal., say the 7mm08 or .308 ?  I have a 20" 243 and I cant get it shoot worth a darn . I love the .243 cal. and bought a remmy 700 and it shoots as well as any rifle that i've ever shot, but my problem is I have this N.E.F. that i don't trust for anything and wont take it to the field. What a waist of a rifle. I am going to buy a new barrel and don't  know which one to buy. Help is greatly needed. the rifle is mainly used for summer hogs and varmints that might get after my squirrel dogs . it is carred on a 4 Wheeler most of the time.

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Re: TRICK QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 01:46:45 PM »
The .243 seems to be the one that gives the worst accuracy overall.Some people have them and they are accurate and some have them that aren't.The "aren't" I'll bet far outnumber the other.One of my first NEF's was the ultra lite .243.Loved the looks of it.Accuracy stinks!!!Somebody else owns it now.Get a .308.

Stan
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 02:17:51 PM »
The 243 Superlight is the most finicky of any H&R, but with the right load and keeping the barrel cool, they'll shoot acceptable to good, it's just not as easy to do as with a standard contour barrel. Mine shoots plenty good for deer and coyotes, wouldn't want to shoot colony critters with it tho unless I had another rifle to shoot after a couple shots to shoot while it cooled down. The synthetic forend of the Superlight doesn't help either, mine shot much better after fully floating the forend with a nylon pillar and relieving the pressure the forend put on the barrel.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jbirdwell

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 04:19:35 PM »
QUIICKDTOO, If the targets that you posted for your ultra light 20" barrel are "o,k, for deer sized animals, then you don't hunt the way that I hunt . I want a rifle that will stop a deer in its tracks , and where i aim it, it shoots period. my rifle shoots as well as yours but I  would not pull the trigger on a deer if it could not shoot any better than that. If I read between the lines, your saying that this is the best it will do. If it is  and the rest of N.E.F. cal. shoot the same, then I am waisting my time and money with this manufacturer and cal. Are all N.E.F. rifles this bad ? and if not whats a better cal.
                                                                           Jim

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 04:26:20 PM »
As Tim & Stan have said the 243 SL can be a pain or a good shooter depending on the amount of time & effort you are willing to put in to it .

If you like the 243 go with the standard or even the flutted barrel , either one will take far less to make it a shooter , it took me about 300 rounds of hand loads till I found a load that my SL shot well .

You may even want to look at maybe a 22-250 or 270 for what you will be doing with the rifle .

stimpy

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?topic=108207.0
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 04:38:32 PM »
Jim,

Just slow the velocity down some and only shoot "one well placed shot."  It worked before. ;)

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?topic=118512.msg1098389516#msg1098389516

JerryKo
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 04:41:38 PM »
That was my first handload and one factory load that I shot in it, both of my 243 Ultras shoot very well, under moa, my point was even the Superlight will shoot well with a little work, just about any other chambering will shoot very well, maybe out of the box, maybe with a tweak or two. Spend some time in the FAQs and you'll learn more, that's why they're there. ;)

Tim

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 04:51:15 PM »
I got the .243 bull barrel. I can shoot 5 shot group about 1 1/2" Thats with the federal premium 85 gr sierra game king hollow points.... Honestly it shoots better than me....

Offline jbirdwell

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 05:12:10 PM »
QUICKDTOO, where do you think I got  the info to make this rifle shoot as well as it does now . The question I asked was will a bull barrel or heavy barrel shoot any better. For jerryko, as I stated in an earl er comment that slowing down the round did help one time after reshooting the same load it opened up to at least 2" and with out any warning even worse. I thought it might be getting dirty. so I cleaned it, WORSE out to 3" . This year same thing . even put an old redfeild (known good) scope on it. still over 3" . I have put hours upon hours and dollars upon dollars on this rifle and I m not going to put any thing more into it . I will spend the money on another barrel but not on the 20" .  Will the  bull barrel shoot any better?

Jim

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 05:31:39 PM »
Jim

The bull barrel has several advantages that the SL dosen't , one is the fact that heat does not effect it the way it does on the slimmer 20" also the harmonic's are total diffrent so the barrel does not wip nearly as bad . My choice would be the 24" bull barrel , its stove pipe solid .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 06:26:54 PM »
As has been said, the Superlight 243 barrel is troublesome, even the standard contour 243 is a consistent good shooter, there's considerably more material in any standard contour H&R barrel, they're often described as bull barrels since they're on the heavy side compared to other sporter barrels, but the 22" and 24" bull barrels are the best choice if you want consistent accuracy, specially with a warm barrel.

As for getting the Superlight to shoot, if it was shooting good for you at one time, I'd be looking at the Handi Basics, in particular making sure the latch and shelf are dry, that alone is the number one reason for inaccuracy reported by H&R gunsmiths, and the easiest to fix. The next thing I'd check is how well the barrel fits, if it's lose when the action is closed without the forend on, it needs to go back to H&R for a replacement barrel, the underlug on high pressure chamberings have been known to setback causing the barrel to be lose on the frame when locked up.

Tim

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 12:19:45 AM »
QUICKDTOO, where do you think I got  the info to make this rifle shoot as well as it does now . The question I asked was will a bull barrel or heavy barrel shoot any better. For jerryko, as I stated in an earl er comment that slowing down the round did help one time after reshooting the same load it opened up to at least 2" and with out any warning even worse. I thought it might be getting dirty. so I cleaned it, WORSE out to 3" . This year same thing . even put an old redfeild (known good) scope on it. still over 3" . I have put hours upon hours and dollars upon dollars on this rifle and I m not going to put any thing more into it . I will spend the money on another barrel but not on the 20" .  Will the  bull barrel shoot any better?

Jim

Sorry to hear that Jim.  I have a 243 that I have yet to shoot and was happy to stumble into your postings.  I have heard the 243 as being finicky to load for, and had hoped you had found an answer to some of them. 

I was reading into the title of this post as being a "trick question" and thought I had beaten the trick.  That being said, I too think you will have better luck with a bull barrel, especially if it will be used for multiple quick shots in varmit type hunting.  You really can't go wrong for the price of these rifles.  I like the 204 tho.  It is the only rifle I own so far that I would take to a money match.  It has been more consistent then either Browing or Ruger that I own.

Good Luck,

JerryKo
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline chip-don

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 02:04:20 AM »
just keep trying different loads i have never seen a good exp. on why some guns like one load but not another but this goes for guns from 200 to 2000 bucks  ???  ::)

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 04:20:13 AM »
O.K. guys, here is a trick question. will a heavy barrel .243 shoot any better than the 20" .243

Yes

Offline striker525

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 04:25:19 AM »
Is the accuracy problem on the ultra lites only?

Offline jbirdwell

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 04:25:11 PM »
I sure hope not I'm about to purchase the bull barrel in 24" . I really think that there is not enough rate of twist for such a short barrel. this would not let the bullet stabilize. I own a 280 cal. shoots O,K, and I had a 223. that shot wonder, my daughter shot a 7 hot one holer that you could cover with a penny ( wish  i still had it ) . This 243 20" skinny barrel, I would not give you a red cent for it and I wont sell it because I don't wish the problems ,I  have with it on any one. If the 243 bull barrel does not  do any better it will be the end of my N.E.F. experience.

Jim