Author Topic: Question about 300 yards and target detail...  (Read 849 times)

Offline Sitting Duck

• Trade Count: (0)
Question about 300 yards and target detail...
« on: June 11, 2008, 01:27:21 PM »
Here's the deal.  I'm shooting paper at 200 and 250 yards currently and I'm wondering what detail I should be seeing at 250 yards with a Bushnell 4X12X40 AO Sportsview scope.  Should I be able to see the one inch lines at 250 yards with the this scope?  I currently cannot.  In order to shoot tight groups, assuming the gun and I are capable, wouldn't I need more detail for an aiming point?

I realize this scope isn't a top-of-the-line Bushnell but my brother is letting me use it and it seems to function alright.     

The target is Bushnell's 100 yard sight-in (the one with orange quad bull and the four-four inch black squares in each corner). 

I'm new to all of this and really don't know what everyone else is seeing when looking at their targets from 250-300 yards.  Should I be using a higher powered scope?  And if so, what would be some recommendations (not brands but power) for the current 250 yards with a desire to shoot 400 yards in the future.  Assuming, my 22-250 will group at that distance.

Thanks, in advance.

Offline KRP

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Question about 300 yards and target detail...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 03:23:18 PM »
I wouldn't expect to see much with that scope at 300 yards.  If you are just going to punch paper I would look at a 24x or 36x target scope.  If it's not just a paper puncher something variable would be good with a max of 16-24x depending on what you are going to be shooting.  Magnification isn't the only factor though as better glass makes up for lesser power.

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 03:51:49 PM »
Put a 3x9x40 Nikon Monarch on it. Hey that duck isn't sitting!
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 04:03:49 PM »
I shoot at 300 yards often. I am one of those people that really enjoy a high power scope and I shoot much better groups at that kind of range with a high power scope. Mueller makes a great 8.5x25x44 scope that is pictured below on my Remington 700 SPS 243 Varmint. You could shoot out to 1,000 yards with this scope with out a problem. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Sitting Duck

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 04:26:10 PM »
Put a 3x9x40 Nikon Monarch on it. Hey that duck isn't sitting!

Thanks, KRP for the advice on the power.  I know there are a lot of variables to tight groups and being able to return my crosshair to the same spot on the target would be a good start.  I would think.

Eyeshot:  I just happen to have a 3X9X40 Nikon Monarch UCC that my brother is letting me try out.  I haven't mounted it yet because I'm having trouble locating Burris Signature Z rings.  I don't want to mar a loner scope, in case it isn't powerful enough for target shooting.  The local stores are out of stock...  Continuously, it would seem.   I might have to purchase online.  I do have to say that the Nikon is crystal clear compared to the Bushnell.  I'm impressed.  I won't know how it performs until I get it on the rifle.

Thanks, for the feedback guys. 

Offline KRP

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 04:40:50 PM »
Good luck finding any Signature rings, a small local shop or Ebay are your best bets right now I think.  The 3-9 Monarch is an excellent scope but not for target work.  It will be better than what you have on there now though I would bet.  I've got a couple of the now discontinued 6.5-20 Monarchs and love them.

Offline Sitting Duck

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 04:43:33 PM »
Eyeshot:  Did you know that ducks can't quack sitting down?  (I just made that up....  ;D)

Dale:  I've seen your 300 yard posted target.  Impressive shooting there.   

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 05:27:51 PM »
Eyeshot:  Did you know that ducks can't quack sitting down?  (I just made that up....  ;D)

Dale:  I've seen your 300 yard posted target.  Impressive shooting there.   
Thanks. You really need to look into something with much higher power than a 3x9. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 07:29:00 PM »
I know Dale prefers a high powered scope, he has stated it many times. He is not alone on this, there are many people that prefer a high powered scope. I own a few myself, in fact I have a scope exactly like the one Dale pointed out on his 243. For field work, I do not like a high powered scope. If I am on a steady rest and do not get any movement or very little movement I can shoot a high powered scope with precision. If I am shooting off of a bi-pod I do not like to shoot much over 10X. It may be that I just am not used to all of the movement I get with a scope set at 20X or higher. The more movement I detect, the more I try to correct and then I get all over the place with it. The quality of the scope makes a difference more than you might imagine. A Monarch at 9X will give you a better sight picture than a cheap scope at 20X. I have shot black birds at 250 yards with a 10X Bushnell Banner on a 222 Remington 700 VS. So I know you can shoot with precision with a mid powered scope. Here is a picture of a target I shot at 100 yards with a scope set at 6.5X then at 12X and then at 20X. Notice there is not much difference in the size of the group at 12X and the one at 20X. What I was doing was to see how much the zero changed between different powers, but you can tell there is not much difference, it could be that I did not hold as well with the 12X or the bullet dispersion made the difference. There needs to be more shooting done to really tell.

People can shoot with more precision that they think, if 1. the scope is of decent quality and 2. the cross hairs are designed for precision shooting. Look at precision tactical scopes, many are a fixed 10X and the people using them feel they do the job out to a very long range. My last scope I bought was a Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical. It is a straight 10X and it is a dandy, I wish I had more of them. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 01:19:10 PM »
       Duck-- should I send you the rings too?
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline Sitting Duck

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 02:12:22 PM »
Eyeshot:  No... I just spent $37.00 on Midsouth Shooters Supply for the medium Signature Z in matte.  It was the only place I could find them.  In stock.  Sportsman Warehouse (where I buy most of my stuff) said that they were being discontinued.  I don't know if he meant that SW won't be carrying them or that Burris won't be manufacturing them in the future. 

I think he's nuts and doesn't have a clue.  They seem to be a pretty popular set of rings. 

Later!

Offline Sitting Duck

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 03:02:03 PM »
LaOtto222:  Nice shooting! 

I'm going to try the 3X9X40 Nikon and see how it (I) performs and go form there.  I know it would be a good choice for critters here in AZ, even if it falls short in the recreational target shooting arena. 

Pretty sweet glass in that Monarch and it might surprise me at 250 yards. 

Thank you, for your input.