Author Topic: .22LR to .22 Mag? Possible? Safe?  (Read 1957 times)

Offline 1871

• Trade Count: (0)
.22LR to .22 Mag? Possible? Safe?
« on: June 13, 2008, 03:33:52 PM »
I have a Versa-Pak. Can the .22 LR barrel be converted to a .22 Magnum by simply chamber reaming? Safely? Is the barrel bore difference negligable? Has anyone here ever done it? How did it turn out? How about before and after accuracy? Increased copper fowling/barrel maintenance?

Thanks,

'71

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: .22LR to .22 Mag? Possible? Safe?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 04:03:21 PM »
haven't done a handi but i'v converted other bolt and single shots with no problem (except magazine fitting) bolts usually ended up single shots.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 06:10:18 AM »
I have a Handi Versa Pak .22 LR barrel that I have had my gunsmith ream out to a .22 Mag. It is great, and very accurate as well, no problems at all. I stood there while he did it, it took about 15-20 minutes while we talked, and he did not rush....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline 1871

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 12:59:23 PM »
Thank-You Torpedoman!!! Thank-You MSP!!! Woohooo! I'm on it tomorrow! If I knew how to put one of those "Smiley" things here I would!!!

'71

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 03:00:30 PM »
Hit the green reply button and use the smileys above the post window.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 03:30:07 PM »
NPP (no problem pal), just be advised that there are 2 different reamers for the .22 Mag, one is to rechamber revolver chambers and the other is the type you need to do a rifle chamber. I am not sure but if I recall correctly from my gunsmith (a great guy and a great gunsmith) the .22 Mag reamer for a rifle is longer and has something for the leade or throat area, or it may have something to do with the pilot. Luckily my gunsmith has both reamers in his inventory so it was an easy and quick job...good luck....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline 1871

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 03:32:37 PM »
 :) Thanks Tim! and Thanks again MSP!  :)

Just curious, was a Versa-Pak Combo with .22 Magnum a factory offering?

'71

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 03:40:20 PM »
No, they never offered the Versa Pak in .22 Mag. And that was a shame, it would have been a great seller. I have mine teamed up with a 18" 20 gauge barrel with screw in chokes and sometimes a .243 barrel for the ultimate combo gun. I also have a nickled 20" 20 gauge modified choke barrel that goes well with the combo as well a .223 barrel and a .22 Hornet barrel that I can substitute for the .243 barrel if needed. If you have any problem finding someone to do the job correctly let me know and I can send you my gunsmiths info...<><....:)

Offline blindman

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 04:47:03 AM »
My Versa Pak 22 is a micro grove, and seems to like the slower sub sonic rounds better than the faster rounds.  Is there something that changes when you go to the 22mag?

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 01:36:30 PM »
Don't know but if your gun does not like the hotter 22 mags you may want to go to the WMR rounds as they are a lot slower.  They also cost an arm and a leg but they are available and may settel down your group.  I use them in the mag when I want more than a 22 but not a mag.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 02:17:05 PM »
no, nothing changes, nothing at all. It is just the same as in all guns, experiment and find the ammo your gun likes best....<><....:)

Offline TLARbb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 02:59:18 PM »
Don't know but if your gun does not like the hotter 22 mags you may want to go to the WMR rounds as they are a lot slower.  They also cost an arm and a leg but they are available and may settel down your group.  I use them in the mag when I want more than a 22 but not a mag.

Actually, WMR is the magnum. but the WRF which you are thinking of is the same diameter case and will fit and shoot  safely.  How well you would have to determine by trial.  They are less money than the magnum rounds and would give you more like .22LR performance safely in the .22 mag chamber.  They shoot pretty doggone good in my CZ452 .22 Mag. 

EJ