Author Topic: Taurus 85chultra  (Read 647 times)

Offline broken arrow

• Trade Count: (0)
Taurus 85chultra
« on: July 22, 2003, 03:23:06 PM »
I just picked up a new Taurus. It's the little spurless .38 +P in titanium. I bought it solely for the ankle/backup. 5 shots of +P suits me just fine. This thing is really, really light though. Have there been any problems with these? How are Taurus revolvers anyway? This is my first. All insights welcome! 8)
"Cowards die many times before their death, The valiant never taste of death but once."

Offline KN

Taurus 85chultra
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2003, 03:58:04 PM »
I have several Taurus pistols and they are decent quality pistols. One is an 85CH stainless. It shoots very well at the distances it is intended for. You may need to slick up the trigger on it though as they tend to have a pretty heavy pull. At least mine did.  KN

Offline Savage

Taurus 85chultra
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 03:44:35 AM »
The revolvers I currently own are S&W with the exception of one old SS Charter Undercover. The Taurus revolvers I have seen and shot recently appear to be of good quality. I would not hesitate to buy one. Matter of fact, I'm considering one of the lightweight spurless models for a backup ankle gun myself. I currently own a mdl 36 S&W as well, but it's a blued model that I've owned for 20yrs. The blued mdls are not ideal for that type of carry. The Undercover works ok, but I still would like a lighter snubby. What kind of ankle holster do you use? I have 2 or 3 tucked back somewhere. As memory serves, mine are not very comfortable and are a little bulky. I currently carry an Officers mdl 45 on my vest, it's not very comfortable either!
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Taurus 85chultra
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2003, 04:22:07 AM »
broken arrow:  those are supposed to be reliable, easy to carry and just as easy to shoot.  The only problems I have heard about or that some 'reknowned' gun experts talk about is the loads you shoot and use in either the Titanium or Scandium revolvers.

When S&W first came out with thier Titanium snubbie in 38 Spl, the first two articles I saw advocated only one type of loading, a jacketed 125 grain load that wasn't even plus p rated, then they all went to plus p ratings and everybody was happier.  The problem they thought they might encounter was with reloaded bullets or lead bullets 'walking' out of the cases and jamming the cylinder.  They (the experts) said you 'should never fire reloads' in these guns as the recoil in a lightweight revolver will likely cause the bullet to walk out of the case and jam the cylinder.

Well, hogwash.  We learned about that years ago when loading 357s, 41s and 44s for silly-wet shooting and found that if you didn't crimp your cases well enough you would get some walkin' loads.  Some of the powders we used, like H110 and WW296 came with instructions for a tight crimp to get complete powder burning (and no walkin').

When the Titaniums first came out one of my acquaintances just had to have one.  He bought it and two boxes of the recommended loads.  He had two misfires, one from each box.  I told him I would load some stuff up for him and he worried about what the article had said.  I told him to bring two boxes of his 'recommended' loads with his gun and we would try it out.  I made certain the crimp on a box of wadcutters and a box of semi-wadcutters was properly tight enough and added a box of my 200 grain semi-wadcutters to the pile and gave it a whirl.  

Again, he had misfires with the recommended loads but absolutely no problem with any of the reloads.  But ya know, it didn't matter, the guy wasn't convinced.  He gave it up in favor of a semi-auto that he can't shoot any better than the revolver.  Go figure.

Sorry for prattling but I guess the point is that I'm really not sold on plus p's in those guns and would advocate for a standard 158 grain semi-wadcutter or the 148 grain wadcutter instead.  If you reload, just make certain the crimp is tight enough.  Also, if you reload, consider some of the heavier bullets, like the Keith Style 160 grain SWC, the Keith Style 173 grain SWC or the 200 grain RNFPs or Keith style SWCs.  They are all shot at standard, not plus, pressures (which means less recoil) and perform well from snubbies.   Hope this helps.  Mikey.

Offline broken arrow

Taurus 85chultra
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 10:32:52 AM »
I went ahead and bought a box of HydraShok hollow points. We can't carry semi wad cutters or round nose for that matter. I am glad to know that Taurus seems to have a pretty good reputation though. I wanted a Smith & Wesson centennial, but for the price I could have bought a Glock 27 for my ankle. This was a reasonably priced, attractive and seemingly well built alternative.
       I just bought a Gould & Goodrich "boot-lock" holster from cops plus. You lace it up with your boot. I wanted to carry my P-229 under my shirt but man, is it heavy. From what I've read this is one of the most comfortable ankle alternatives out there. It also fits a ton of different guns. I shopped around , at $77.00 it's kind of pricey, I hope it's worth it. I think that, combined with this light little Taurus packing .38's I'll have a comfortable, effective backup. I was a little concerned, but you have all helped calm my fears. I'm glad I bought it. :D
"Cowards die many times before their death, The valiant never taste of death but once."

Offline Savage

Taurus 85chultra
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2003, 12:29:39 PM »
BA,
Bootlock huh? I've got to see that! I on  my way to the web site to check it out. Thanks.
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline broken arrow

Hey Mikey
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2003, 02:11:58 PM »
A friend of mine currently has a .357 taurus of some kind. It was one of the first "tiny" ported handcannons from Taurus. It's as small as my 85ch, but accepts the .357 load. I personally think it's nuts. I have shot a couple of these and my hand sustains a pretty bad bruise in the palm. While I don't reload I wouldn't mind a non +p alternative. What's a good premium round in regular .38 SPL, what grain weight would be best as a backup? If plus P is even half as punishing as those hot .357's I'd like an effective, milder round.

Offline Savage

Taurus 85chultra
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2003, 11:31:57 PM »
BA,
You have already eliminated some of the most effective rounds in the 38 snubbie at normal pressures. The SWC & WC ammo works well in the 2" 38 in the heavier weights. I have fired a good quanity of the Speer Gold Dots thru my snubbies. The recoil is fairly mild. As I understand what you said, you are required to carry JHP ammo only, right?
Oh yes, I broke out the ankle holsters last night. They just don't work for me! If I wear them at the top of the boot the gun is exposed when I sit. If I wear it higher, I can't get the pant leg up to make a decent presentation.
Guess I'm going to have to stick with vest carry for now. Let me know how your rig works for you.
Stay Safe,
Savage