Author Topic: Burris stinks! Rifle/scope combo was bought back by Cabelas,100% money refunded!  (Read 3074 times)

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
I recently returned a used Fullfield II 3-9x40mm Ballistic Plex rifle scope to Burris, because the main tube was dented from scope rings.  They called me back and said that I had to pay $100 for a new replacement tube or $150 for a new scope.  I wasn’t going to pay to have this scope repaired, so I asked him if it would function properly with the tube dented and he said it would be fine.  I then told him to just return it to me and I didn’t authorize any repairs unless they were free of charge.  I have purchased used Leupold scope in the past and I have returned them to Leupold, because of main tube dents, power adjustment ring problems, bells dented, foggy lens without any hassle.  I either get a brand new replacement scope or my repaired scope back with no charge.  Well, this was my first and last Burris optic that I will ever purchase. Plus, I forgot to add that Burris had hung up the phone on me while I was talking and I had to call back.  The Burris person was very rude and obviously lacked true customer service training.

My mind is made up now; I will only purchase new or used Leupold from this day forward.  Thank you, Leupold!

yooper77

Offline jason280

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Burris customer service sucks!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 02:46:48 PM »
First of all, the damage was due to neglect, not by some fault of Burris.  Why do you think Burris should replace your scope simply because you (or the original owner) was not competent enough to properly mount it?  To be honest, I think your expectations are ridiculous and this situation does not warrant a repair or replacement (at the expense of Burris).  I have had excellent experience with Burris customer service, and will continue using their products.  Why do you think they would hang up on you?  I have talked with Donna (and others) in customer service numerous times, and they have always been courteous and more than helpful.  In fact, one of the tech guys took time to call me when they received my scope to let me know they had gone through it. 

Sir, Burris is not at fault here, you are. 
"Hey Peter, check out Channel 9!!"

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: Burris customer service stinks!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 03:41:14 PM »
Do yourself a favor and either use Burris Signature rings or scope alignment and lapping tools. Then stop thinking that ring dents should be repaired by the scope maker.

Offline Wire Nut

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 05:33:55 AM »
I'll second that on the Burris Signature Zee Rings and about the great service. I ordered a set of rings and one of the plastic inserts was missing, I called and recieved a pair(not one) in two days, no questions asked.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 05:41:22 AM »
Same here, bought a set of Signature Zee rings from Midsouth, one of the rings was defective, sent Burris an email pic of the defective ring, they replied they would send me a replacement, received a replacement pair of rings 3 days later!  Their CS is great IMO. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline yooper77

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 08:31:44 AM »
Thank you all for the comments and advice.

My expectations were spot on; the problem is Burris isn’t Leupold in any way, shape or form.  I found that out the hard way, but I now know better in the future. 

Thank you again, Leupold!

Sorry, I forgot to say that I bought this used on a scope/rifle combo and discovered the dents hidden under the rings when I removed the scope at home many days later.  I agree that the damage was from neglect.  The good thing is I will be able to still use this scope since Burris told me it’s fully functional despite the dents if I choose.

I might try it on a recently acquired used T/C Encore 209x50 barrel to see if the Ballistic Plex reticle works using 3 pellets and 250 grain sabot bullets.

The Burris employee I talked to was Larry and out of respect I won’t give his last name.  The fact is he did hang up on me and I had to call him back.

yooper77

Offline cobraa

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 06:12:45 PM »
Mate its your problem not burris or any other company you bought this item second hand and it was damages by the previous owner or ya self.. and ya cant expect any company to replace or repair for free.. ive had the best Experence with Burris i bought 4, 3-9x40 burris Fullfield II Bplex nickle scopes from ebay and they did'nt come with the proper burris blue cloth bages i email burris they sent them free of charge to Australia from usa....
and if he hung up on you maybe you wre talking to them like a pig and warrented them hanging up on you? if not maybe it was a simple mistake he lent on the wrong butten or something they dont have your number to call you back so of course you had to ring back..  you expect to much from companys and the Problem is not Burris Its You....

Offline Sitting Duck

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 07:28:48 PM »
Yoper77:  So you would like us to believe that Leupold will fix anything that you send them.  Free of charge, regardless of neglect, abuse, or who is at fault.  I find that hard to believe and would like other GBO members to verify your claim.

I can only assume that your intent was to sell this scope from the initial combo purchase.  Otherwise, why wouldn't you have ran it through its paces to see if reliability was affected by the dents.  Instead, you needed this to be verified by Burris.  Something smells here.  I think you wanted Burris to repair this used scope cosmetically for resale and for free.

Based on your posts and love of Leupold, I think you have learned a valuable lesson.  Never, ever buy anything but Leupold and you will never have a customer service representative hang up on you for apparently no reason.  And you will never be dissatisfied.

It would have made more sense to go back to the seller for satisfaction than to a company that had nothing to do with the damage.
I think your expectations are unrealistic, to put it mildly.

Offline jason280

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 11:24:10 PM »
I may be wrong here, but I have a hard time swallowing a little of this story as well.  Can anyone substantiate his claim?  I have a difficult time believing that Leupold would replace a scope that was clearly damaged from neglect, especially one that was damaged by scope rings. 

Then again, Leupold has to do as much as it can to keep a loyal customer service base (especially considering how competitive the scope market has become). 

Offline yooper77

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 02:59:37 AM »
I agree that this is my problem; I am the one that purchased this scope damaged from the beginning.   I tried to see if the company would fix the problem, but they won’t for free, so I refused repair.  I will see if the original store where I purchased the rifle/scope combo from will help me.

The Burris employee Larry hung up on me, and not by accident.  I am always open-minded, curious, kind and understanding when I speak and listen to people.  I just didn’t agree to pay for repairs, bottom line and he wasn’t happy with my decision.

Believe me or not your choice, Leupold has fixed and replaced used scopes for me that I purchased damaged.  I have never damaged a scope using proper mounting procedures to include tube dents.  Leupold is simply a cut above the other scope manufactures; they have proven it to me many times.

Thank you,
yooper77

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 08:04:01 AM »
So you would like us to believe that Leupold will fix anything that you send them.  Free of charge, regardless of neglect, abuse, or who is at fault.  I find that hard to believe and would like other GBO members to verify your claim.

I have a difficult time believing that Leupold would replace a scope that was clearly damaged from neglect, especially one that was damaged by scope rings.

Just my 2 cents about Leupold.  I've got a bunch of their scopes, just started buying them early on for reasons long forgotten.  I never had a problem with a new one.  A short while back I bought a 2x7 Vari-X II Compact from a fellow at my gun club.  It was at least 10 years old, probably older but was okay cosmetically.  However, there was something that looked like a big bubble in the objective lens.  The only reason I bought it was because, aside from the fact I got it cheap, I was curious about Leupolds guarantee and I wanted an iti-biti scope for my M7 dedicated backup rifle.  :P

I called Leupold and told them about the scope.  They said send it back and we'll fix it.  I said you'll probably have to rebuild the whole scope.  They said send it back.  So I sent it back.   ;D  I got a card from them after they received the scope acknowledging that fact and giving me an estimated date of return.  I got the scope back in less time then they said and it had been rebuilt complete with a new ocular lens.  Good as new.

Conversely, in a fit of cheapness I bought a Bushnell spotting scope from Mid-South which I promptly knocked off a shooting bench.  I called Bushnell, expecting to pay for my stupidity BTW, about repair.  The couldn't give me even a ballpark estimate, I had to send the scope to them.  I also had to include a check for $20 for return shipping.  Some time later they called me and quoted a price for the repair that was considerably more then I had paid for the scope originally!   When I told them that the only answer I got was "well, I don't know how that's possible..."  I told them to just send the scope back to me, I still use it BTW, but I don't have to do business with a company that tries to repair rape me then questions my personal integrity.

Just my experience.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 12:11:37 PM »
Without a doubt, Leupold has the finest customer service in the business.

You pay more for them up front, but if you have a problem they are the people you want to deal with.

There are many, many testimonials regarding the high quality of Leupold customer service.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 12:18:07 PM »
This is good information about Leupold. I have always thought that they were way over priced. I guess if you take into acount that they will fix any of their scopes for free even if it is your fault. That says a lot. I will be keeping my eyes open on Ebay for older or damaged scopes from now on. Thanks Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 12:34:15 PM »
I have had good lick with Burris's customer service... I strongly suspect there was a reason they hung up on you.
I was in customer service on construction equipment for a couple of years. We were taught that if a customer swears we should hang up and hopefully the customer would cool off before calling back

Offline Kurt L

• Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 01:13:15 PM »
Maybe if big L didn't fix all the things people screw up and then maybe they could be a little better priced.but then hell I think
I can sell a lot of my stuff and buy a big L scope,I can use it for a hammer,golf club,ball bat,billy club,walnut cracker and many more things I could use it on when I don't need it on a gun to shoot.
and heck the best part of this hight priced hammer/scope is if I break it heck just get a new .
All I have to say is it takes balls to buy a used item then expect the maker to give you a new one.
I WONDER WHY THE PRICE OF EVERY THING IS OUT OF SITE.
KURT LGo TO RIFLE RED RYDER SUPER MAG CARBINE

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 01:19:22 PM »
Maybe if big L didn't fix all the things people screw up and then maybe they could be a little better priced.but then hell I think
I can sell a lot of my stuff and buy a big L scope,I can use it for a hammer,golf club,ball bat,billy club,walnut cracker and many more things I could use it on when I don't need it on a gun to shoot.
and heck the best part of this hight priced hammer/scope is if I break it heck just get a new .
All I have to say is it takes balls to buy a used item then expect the maker to give you a new one.
I WONDER WHY THE PRICE OF EVERY THING IS OUT OF SITE.

No it does not take balls. They are the ones that come up with their warranty plan. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 02:51:11 PM »
Several years ago I found a special on Burrius scope and bought 3 of them. None of them worked properly and the 3 x 9 would move the point of impact alittle over 6 in. when change from 3 to 9 power. I have since got 2 more in trades and 1 of them seem to work well. I am a Leupold fan and like yooper 77 will never buy another Burrius scope, though I may get one in a trade. Maybe they do a back ground check on buyers and send their junk to Leupold fans.

Offline Hairtrigger

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2008, 04:03:03 PM »
What ever you guys do, never buy a car. You will be disappointed in the warranty backing the first trip into the shop!

Offline yooper77

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 05:33:33 PM »
Burris is dead to me! 

I purchased the used rifle/scope (NEF Handi rifle in 243 Win/Burris full field II scope) combo from Cabelas and the manager took it back today and refunded 100% of my money.

I didn’t want the NEF Handi rifle anymore after I compared it to my T/C Encore rifle anyway.  The wife was happy to see it go.

I have to say, money well spent in shipping sending the scope to Burris to uncover they don’t have a customer service department at all.

All my future scope will be Leupold new or used.

Cabelas and Leupold both have superior customer service.

yooper77

Offline jason280

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2008, 08:45:07 PM »
I strongly suspect there was a reason they hung up on you

My feelings are the same.  I have had quite a few conversations with Burris customer service over the years, and there is simply no reason they would hang up on you without provocation.  That's, of course, if it happened at all.  I have a sneaky suspicion we may not be getting all the story here.   

I have to say, money well spent in shipping sending the scope to Burris to uncover they don’t have a customer service department at all

If that's how you feel, so be it. I still think you have unrealistic expectations, especially considering the type of damage that was involved.  In fact, I still have a hard time believing Leupold would flat out replace/repair a scope simply for tube damage caused by improper mounting.  All the stories I have heard about Leupold's customer service involved lense or mechanical issues, nothing as grossly negligent as this scenario.   

Personally, I think Leupold scopes are a bit overrated, but I do agree their customer service is top notch. Then again, in my experience, so is Sightron's and Burris. 

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2008, 06:52:00 AM »
yooper77 , try mounting the Burris scope properly in a set of decent rings (not Burris signature rings). The dent may pop back out. I had a dented scope (my fault). When I properly mounted the scope the dent was gone. The reason I say  not Burris signature rings is the plastic insert probably won't put the right pressure on the tube to pop the dent out.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline yooper77

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2008, 09:37:22 AM »
(Rifle/Scope combo was bought back by Cabelas yesterday, 100% my money refunded after over 80 days from purchase)

Offline Hairtrigger

That is part of Cabelas policy... 30 days / full refund.
I still don't understand why you thought Burris would repair a scope that was customer damage.

Offline Sitting Duck

Hairtrigger:  What's not to believe.  If he had used it as part of a particle beam transmitter and melted it down into a little glob of metal, plastic, and glass Leupold would have fixed or replaced it had it been their scope.  Why not Burris?

I'm glad he's happy now and can move on.  As should we.   ::)

Offline Hairtrigger

Not first hand experience but I was  told Luueplod would not repair ring dents foc

Offline jason280

• A Real Regular
Not first hand experience but I was  told Luueplod would not repair ring dents foc

I was told something similar by Leupold customer service as well.  I bought a used VXIII that had ring marks (no dents/gouges) from the scope sliding under recoil, and was told they did not "do anything with the tubes".  It was no big deal to me, as it was not the fault of the company. 

Has anyone been able to substantiate the claim that Leupold will repair/replace a scope with tube damage from scope rings?

Offline DalesCarpentry

This guy is just trying to start up crap now!!!!!!! His original headline read something like Burris customer service stinks. Now it reads Burris stinks! Rifle/scope combo was bought back by Cabelas,100% money refunded! He is gloating and trying to rub it into anyone that is not a Loopy fan. Why don't you take your bashing somewhere else and just let this stupid BS stop now. Dale

Offline yooper77

I changed the subject line, because it’s a dead issue to me now.  Not unlike when people sell items and then change the subject line.

I understand people can purchase any optic they want.  Since, this adventure with Burris, I am going to only purchased Leupold scopes in the future.  This is my personal choice and I am NOT telling people they need to do the same.  If people ask me on what I recommend then I will say Leupold every time.

In the past I have bought used damaged scopes and sent them to Leupold for repair or replacement.  One of these scopes had the forward bell dented along with main tube dents.  Leupold replaced the scope for a new one.  I recently received a brand new VX-II 3-9x40mm gloss with a letter stating they couldn’t fix the power adjustment on the Vari-X II 3-9x40mm gloss I sent them, so they replaced it.

We can all agree to disagree if needed and move on.

yooper77

Offline NONYA

I bought one Burris product,a compact spotting scope,the adjustable eye piece froze up after a few days and wouldnt turn at all,the dealer refunded my $ and told me that the "lower end" burris products were no better than the lower priced lines,Id say they wernt even that good,at least they work longer than a week.I like some of their rifle scopes but they are so over priced they will never get a chance to change my opinio of their product.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
Yooper77, I'm impressed with how you have kept your cool with some of these stronger posts, even though I too agree that I wouldn't expect a warranty to cover mounting marks/dents.

Good to hear how far Leuopold and Cabellas is willing to go to keep a customer.
Got:
Handi VP 22/410, 410, 20, 17M2, .223, 357MAX, 50cal ML SS w/MU plug