Author Topic: Most reliable auto?  (Read 1040 times)

Offline m-g Willy

• Trade Count: (0)
Most reliable auto?
« on: June 16, 2008, 05:16:23 PM »
Looking at 1911 autos and asking questions about them and came up with the conclusion that none of them seem as reliable as my S&w 5906 or my Colt Woodsman.
While I've had a few jams with the woodsman( maybe one out of 800-1000 rounds) low power round or just a dirty pistol!
My 5906 has never failed to  fire no matter what ammo I've ran through it yet!( 2000+ rounds)
I hear about the 1911 being the best combat auto ever , but all the (PRO"s) on 1911 forums seem to state less reliablity then what I'm getting with my autos.
Is it just a fact of life that the 1911 will more than likly jam at least once out of 200 rounds on average?
What make gun and modifications do you all use when it comes to your self defence gun?

Willy

Offline Old Griz

Re: Most reliable auto?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 05:51:26 PM »
Glock. The most throughly tested and most reliable auto ever made.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 06:11:22 PM »
I have had only a few jams out of my CZ 75 (non B) most from limp wristing until I learned to shoot a handgun properly.  The others were from a weak extractor spring (recently).  I believe this to be one of the top for reliablity based on my research before buying the gun.  However, my point is a lot may depend on the shooters form and the up keep of the gun.
MGM

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 11:51:14 PM »
ive got a gold cup trophy that has gone well over a 100000 rounds. the only malfunctions ever have been caused by handloading mistakes. The only maintancance done to the gun has been regular spring changes.
blue lives matter

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 01:01:48 AM »
Willy - most jams or malfunctions I have experienced with any of my 1911s were ammo related - that is, my reloads.  Whnever I play around experimenting with my reloads I expect jams and malfunctions until I get the load right.  I don't count those jams or malfunctions as a fault of the quality of the handgun, I count them as my fault.

That being said I feel there are a couple of types of 1911s.  The first type is the basic 1911A1 - these can be had from Colt, Springfield, RIA, Norinco, etc.  These are the basic copies of the 1911A1 design that look just like the GI autos of WWI and WWII.  Some of these may take a bit of breaking in, say about 2-300 rounds and they then run like they should.  The breaking in is simply to get everything to properly seat and function together as it should as helps remove little burrs and machining that causes some roughness. 

Then there are the others, the more expensive ones that run like a swiss watch right out of the box and never fail unless you try and either fix them or improve upon them (lololol):  These are Kimbers, Colt Gold Cups, Springfield's Loaded Model, Les Baer, Ed Brown and a few others.  Individually also are any of the 1911s that Broom Rider, SharonAnne or Lloyd Smale own.

It is not a fact of life that a 1911 will jam on you once every couple of hundred rounds, unless you have tried to fix something that ain't broke or improve on something that really doesn't need improving. 

The make of the 1911A1 is not really important as all (I believe) are made to mil-spec at least and the modifications are subject to individual taste.  I'm willin' to bet that if you're an average Joe just about any basic 1911A1 out of the box will suit you just fine without any need for modifications. 

I really do not appreciate these Thunder Ranch or Kimber adds that give you the impression that YOU WILL DIE if you don't use one of their guns as they make it sound as though any other gun will fail on you.  That's pure nonsense.  Long before these 'experts' at building custom guns came into the fore most 45s people carried were basic GI models and they worked just fine. 

Let's put it this way - I don't remember any guys named Clint Smith in Special Forces 40 years ago when I was running around S.E. Asia or South America and anyone then who couldn't use or hit with a 45 usually had their choice of various S&W M10s (38 Spl) or even a few Browning P-35s (9mm), bunches of Tokarevs (7.62) or anything else they could get out of the 'capture chest'  if they could get their hands on them, but the idea of a really slicked up 1911A1 with enhanced sights, target trigger, lower and/or flared ejection port, Bar-Sto or Ed Brown or Ed Clark barrels never saw action in my swamps.  And maybe old guys like me with equally old eyes and less steady hands need all that slick stuff now to stay on target, but in the day it was plain basics or you got yourself something you could handle.  JMTCW.  Mikey.

Offline m-g Willy

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 06:06:56 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.
The reason I asked is because I was looking for a WWII type 1911 that I could have some faith in.
Now I guess I got to make up my mind between the Springfield or Auto Ord. 1911's

Willy

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 02:18:18 PM »
My Rugers, P90,P95, P345, and SR9 have all been perfect so far. So has my Taurus PT 1911, S&W M&P 45, and 2 XD's ............

Offline jhm

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 02:53:25 AM »
Sig Sauer  nuff said.   jim

Offline COR

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 03:28:50 AM »
I am not a fan of bottom feeders but I do trust my life to a Glock 30 and as far as reliability it's hard to beat the Glock handguns, I know what the old school traditionalists think of it's looks but the damn things just flat works.  I have found that with the 1911 style .45's that magazines are usually the culprit if shooting factory ammo.  I don't handload for CCW's (but that's a different discussion).

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 01:03:01 PM »
A high percentage of all malfuncitions with a semi auto are caused by bad magazines! So, I doubt you can blame a certain manufacture unless you count magazine manufactures? With any 1911 use top self mags and avoid problems.
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 06:07:05 PM »
Good point SB.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 11:47:30 PM »
There is a vast amount of difference between A 1911 of John Moses design and modern day 1911's and, also, between Sigs, CZ's and other European designs.
Now, I favor---for utter reliability, out of the box---a Sig. This is not a 1911.
For utter reliability in a 1911 one must pay for it---the same as for a Sig or HK. One can purchase a number of different less than reliable---out of the box---1911's and some may prove too be reliable, but, for my own peace of mind, I ask that a good smith look into the weapon and put some parts in that will help, do some work thath will help.
There are many here that have the skills and tools to do their own work, I admire them for these skills.
I don't have those skill and for much more than cleaning and spring changes, I ask someone with a good reputation and good skill to do these changes for me.
Now you can get an Ed Brown, Les Bauer or a number of other semi-custom pieces and be pretty assured that the piece is a good piece of work.   I would still put 3-500 rounds down range. Trust everbody but cut the cards.
Now this is my own anal opinion---you do it your way, it is your life and your responsibility.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Savage

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 09:44:41 AM »
I'm not a Glock fanboy, but if I had to trust a pistol to run without problem right out of the box, it would be my choice. Having said that, let me add that I have seen my share of Glock malfunctions. Anything made by man, can and will fail.  Given good magazines and ammo, a properly lubed pistol from any of the major manufacturers should run right out of the box. Assuming good technique, of course.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 08:59:02 AM »
I have a USA made Auto Ordinance & once I replaced the extractor, it ran perfect.  My new Colt & CZ 75 generally are dependable, too, but I can get any of them to stovepipe with real weak handloads.

I ALWAYS FIGURE THAT A SEMIAUTO IS GOING TO JAM ONCE IN A WHILE.  And once in a while I get a factory load that doesn't fire.  This is the nature of man's things.

But if God was selling semiautos, I would snap one up in a heartbeat.
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline aflineman

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 09:08:06 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.
The reason I asked is because I was looking for a WWII type 1911 that I could have some faith in.
Now I guess I got to make up my mind between the Springfield or Auto Ord. 1911's

Willy
Out of those two, I would get the Springer GI. Very nice basic 1911. It will take a few rounds to break in, but after that, it should run well. Probably the best value for the money (in a 1911) going right now.
Have lights? Thank a Lineman!

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 09:52:10 AM »
aflineman, who makes the Springer or are you refering to the Springfield Armory?
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline aflineman

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 10:06:17 AM »
aflineman, who makes the Springer or are you refering to the Springfield Armory?
Springfield Armory. Sorry for the confusion.
Have lights? Thank a Lineman!