Author Topic: White Deer  (Read 2919 times)

Offline mattmillerrx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
White Deer
« on: June 17, 2008, 12:08:09 AM »
Has anyone seen a white deer while hunting?  How prevalent are they in your area?  I have not seen one while hunting, only when feeding the cows.  Seems every year since the early 90's I have heard of at least one siting and there seems to be 2-3 in the area in the last few years all spottings where seen in different area's. 

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: White Deer
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 04:33:12 AM »
Ive never seen them hunting but there are a few around where I work. You can't hunt them here in Illinois, they're protected.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 04:14:14 PM »
They are protected here too.  I guess I should have made that clear.  My wife hunts with me most of the time now so maybe I will get one on tape one year.

Offline SingleShotShorty

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 12:03:19 PM »
I saw one Northeast of Copan Ok, approx 15 years ago but have never seen another one.
Old Age and Treachery Will Alway's Overcome
Youth and Skill.

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 03:34:12 PM »
I remember on the news several years ago a youth shot a white deer in Western OK.  There was a big uproar and people upset etc.  I don't remember why, however the kid was pretty harassed from what I remember.

I believe shortly after that is when white deer became protected.
Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline haus

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 12:59:45 PM »
You can kill them in Oklahoma but must have the departments written approval first.  The reason its such a big deal is probably because of the high population of indians in Oklahoma.  A white animals is supposedly sacred to them.  The other reason is that there was actually a strain introduced on the McAlester Army Ammunition plant by a former president.  They are mostly gone to the best of my knowledge.  I actually mounted the last radio collared deer from the base a couple of years ago.   

Offline patrickcudd

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 04:08:55 PM »
I remember on the news several years ago a youth shot a white deer in Western OK.  There was a big uproar and people upset etc.  I don't remember why, however the kid was pretty harassed from what I remember.

I believe shortly after that is when white deer became protected.

It was actually in Logan County where that one was shot.  I knew the kid that shot it (although he's close to 30 by now).  The deer he shot was a piebald deer, not a pure white albino.  He said he had no idea it was a white deer when he shot it, due to th fact it was so dirty.  I believe him as the buck had a large rack...enough to make Cy Curtis.  It wasn't until his dad said it looked a bit different and they washed it off at their shop before they realized the anomoly.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 05:19:36 PM »
  There has been a 2 (white)over the last 10 years taken close to where we live. I have no problem with someone taking them. The same with a piebald. Where we live most deer hunters are after the meat. So if it is left alone by one it will be taken by another. A guy I use to work with has a full body mount of a piebald. Gorgeous little deer. His antlers were little and deformed. He was no bigger than a normal fawn. So I figure his genetics were not that great anyways.

As far as I know Indiana has no protection laws for any type of deer, other than the normal bag limits and seasons.

Lonny

Offline 11pointer

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 02:27:43 PM »
my dad got a picture of a white deer in our backyard in sand spring oklahoma
.243 Handi-rifle
and all of dads stuff to use also.

Offline navylawdog

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 03:28:07 PM »
When I was stationed at NAS Brunswick, Maine there were several piebald deer on the base. I actually got a picture of one from the cruiser. When I finally get to my final duty station and get all of my stuff back I will see if I can find it. I would imagine they are still there. What will become of them next year when they turn the base over to civilian contract god only knows.

Navylawdog

Offline deernhog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 02:00:53 AM »
The ones on McAlester Army ammo depot were fallow deer that kind of looked like reindeer/ or caribou with shovel like antlers. They were here around Ada for a while when several escaped from our Wintersmith park deer pens. They look obviously different to me and really stand out early in the morning coming thru the woods.
Deer hunting is mostly fun then you shoot one and it turns to work.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 08:51:34 AM »
I remember a long time ago down in the little town of Macomb Oklahoma there was a store front with a albino deer in it.
It's long sense fanished. Matter of fact the whole building is gone. Not sure where it went. When I was younger Macomb was on the backroads route we took when we would go out drinking. Times have changed. All those roads are busy all hours of the day now.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline deernhog

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 02:19:33 PM »
I saw a polaroid photo of doe that was white from the shoulders to the hindend. Greyish brown the rest. Taken in the late 70's around Antlers.
Deer hunting is mostly fun then you shoot one and it turns to work.

Offline eskimo36

• Trade Count: (156)
    • Adventure Rider
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 04:49:04 PM »
I have seen pie bald deer in west central Hughes county but no completely white deer.
"one shot is usually enough"

Offline nw_hunter

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 08:56:05 PM »
Has anyone seen a white deer while hunting?  How prevalent are they in your area?  I have not seen one while hunting, only when feeding the cows.  Seems every year since the early 90's I have heard of at least one siting and there seems to be 2-3 in the area in the last few years all spottings where seen in different area's. 

Back in the early 80's while drilling for oil on the Chapman-Barnard ranch near pawhuska, there was a herd of white deer, we saw often near the headquarters of the ranch. I think they were Fallow deer.

Saw some big whitetail bucks on that ranch though! We were not allowed to get off the roads going to and from our drilling site. I see now the Nature Conservancy owns the old ranch. I often wonder if the white deer are still there.
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline garbhead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
  • A Real Regular
  • For every Goliath, there is a stone.
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 03:40:44 AM »
copy and paste this link in your browser search box....Fascinating !!!

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/video/flv/generic.html?s=inwi10s22a3q81f
12g shortie w/chokes,Tamer .410,12g "Buck" slug gun w/20g extra barrel, 12g smooth bore tracker I, 45/410 w/22vp matched set, 7mm-08, .308 20",

my avatar pic is my 1960 Rambler I bought in 1972 for $175..6 banger 3-on-the-tree...drove it for 5 yrs  22mpg.. was "hot-rodding" (LOL) one night...tore out 1st/reverse gear. Drove it that way for 2 yrs(with no reverse and only 2nd and high)  Had to really plan ahead when parking.
sold it for $125
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.--Mark Twain

Politicians should only be allowed one term in office, then one term in jail.

Offline okieshooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
  • shoot for the moon, land in the stars
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 10:57:47 AM »
This was in my yard eating acorns last fall!!

Thanks,
Okieshooter

Offline sooner man

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 05:09:17 PM »
A friend of mine has a white doe that comes through her yard to and fro Lake Arcadia.  She likes to stop and munch out in the garden on her way.  She has taken a few pics of that deer when she can.