Author Topic: Do you weigh or throw your rifle charges?  (Read 2229 times)

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
Do you weigh or throw your rifle charges?
« on: June 18, 2008, 12:19:19 PM »
I currently weigh every single charge for my .204 Ruger, but I have been reading that this may not be necessary because powder measures are quite accurate and repeatable. It would be nice not weighing every charge but if throwing is not very accurate I will stick to weighing. What is your opinion on this subject? Who do you think makes a good measure? I am looking at Redding's BR 3 and 30. What do y all think?

Scott.
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline warrior1

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Do you weigh or throw your rifle charges?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 12:24:52 PM »
rifles i do a combo throw then weigh. dan
Dan Deluca aka "warrior1" has passed away.  Dan was a frequent poster here and on several other sites.  He passed away on 12/29/08 from a massive heart attack. RIP Dan.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 12:34:15 PM »
I have one powder dispenser that is set just for my 223 GO-TO load and have used it for a few years so I know its right on , all the rest I weight .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Drilling Man

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 12:55:33 PM »
Do you weigh or throw your rifle charges?

Both!  It depends on what powder and what measure i'm using... 

If i "throw them", i still weigh one coming out of the measure every so often, to make sure they are accurate...

DM

Offline moosie

• 1 of 2 nice 8 pointers last year
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 01:08:17 PM »
I do not shoot as much rifle as I do pistol and revolver.  For rifle, I  always throw a little light and then trickle to exact weight for each charge, but I throw all the handgun rounds and weigh every 10th throw just to make sure nothing has changed.  Most of my friends think I am way too anal about my handloading, but I have never had a hang-fire, flattened primers or other excess pressure signs, stuck case, etc.  Also never had to pull bullets and start over on a reload run.   (knock on wood!)
Moosie
To fire an accurate shot means to not just hit the target, but to know where the target was hit before the bullet got there.

Offline j104wd

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 01:48:54 PM »
like drilling man said depends on the powder. IMR3031 comes to mind doesnt throw even enough for me to just let it go without weighing. plinking loads for my pistols I throw directly to the case. Full house 45 colt each one gets weighed to avoid any unpleasantness.

Offline j104wd

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 01:55:28 PM »
sorry missed the rifle part I weigh all charges for my hunting rounds will crank some for practice that I dont weigh individually. I have been happy with my redding also have a rcbs powder measure that does an excellant job.

Offline rbergum95

• Contributor
  • Theres no luck in lead unless it's flyin'.
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 02:45:18 PM »
i weigh all my rifle charges. not always neccessary for all my shooting needs but it just soothes my meticulous nature.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 03:00:41 PM »
Me too. My rifle charges get weighed. My pistol and revolver charges are usually Bullseye, 2400, or H110 and they throw wonderfully well, but I still weigh about every 5th charge just to keep me happy...and with all of my fingers.
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline PaulS

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 09:32:42 PM »
I used to weigh individual charges for my rifle cartridges but I found that with double base, ball propellents thrown charges are more consistent than weighed charges.
When I use single base powders I throw a charge that is within .2 grains and then trickle up. I have a measure that will throw the stick powders but I just never learned to trust it.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 01:00:50 AM »
Bench rest shooters throw their charges. I think this mostly because of the wind factor. They do a lot of their loading outdoors and it is very difficult to get an accurate weight on a scale if there is the slightest breeze. I believe they like the better Redding for this and use powders that can be thrown consistently. Ball powders and short stick powders like H322 are very popular. When I first started out I did not even own a trickler. I set the thrower and then weighed it on a scale. I would adjust the thrower until I got the proper weight and happily go on. I used only ball powders, mostly WW 296 in the hand guns and 22 Hornet and BLC2 in my 222 Rem. I weigh mine now. All of the major houses that have loading data use weight. I can not think of a single one that uses volume. I used to throw a charge slightly under weight and trickle in the final little bit. Now I have an electronic thrower/scale and I use it now for every thing. To me it is the easiest way to get there. I just punch in the weight I want and it dispenses it out. If it makes a mistake, I just dump it back in and start over. If I get a lot of errors, I set it under weight and tap the spout until I get enough. I can use course stick powders this way along with the finer ball powders and every thing between.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline nilescoyote

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 02:41:20 AM »
I weight rifle charges and throw handgun charges. Throwing charges greatly depends on how meter friendly the powder being used is. Most benchrest guys I know use harrell and/or sinclair measures which are well out of my price range.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 03:35:45 AM »
Ball and flake powders I throw, once the measure is set.(I have a BR-3 by the way, excellent powder measure!!) Stick powder I set it up about a grain light and then trickle to amount I want. I have a RCBS electronic scale, that has just enough area next to the pan that my trickler sits, so as fast as I can seat a bullet, the measure stops, I trickle in some powder, dump in case, throw another charge, set it on the scale, seat a bullet, and on I go. Once I get a rythem going, 300-400 cases in a setting is no problem at all.  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 05:08:34 AM »
I always check every tenth charge on the scale when throwing but go one step farther. If you shine a light over your charged cases before seating any bullets, any inconsistancys will readily show up.

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 06:12:10 AM »
If I'm loading for accuracy i weigh every charge...If i'm loading some for a not so accurate gun such as my 9mm i weigh every 5th-10th just to make sure i'm not getting a dangerous round....

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 06:55:01 AM »
Weigh every charge   t w i c e  from an electronic scale but then I am not in a rush and don't load more then 50 at a time. It is a hobby not a production line ;D

and the wife stays out of my( what is left) hair.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline corbanzo

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 07:27:51 AM »
I wish I could say the same!

But usually I pull the trigger a few too many times for it to be just a hobby....

With hunting loads, I weigh every one.  With plinking/practice loads I throw them, and check... well, not as often as I should, but I find my powder measure stays on pretty well. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 07:53:54 AM »
weigh hunting loads
throw plinking loads
combo on target loads
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline davem270win

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 08:28:11 AM »
Weigh most rifle loads. For some high volume stuff, esp using ball powder, I throw.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 08:58:59 AM »
If you are using a ball or fine powder like H414, H380, H332, H335, maybe Varget if your measure is any good at all, you can set it to throw a certain weight and be good to go. IF YOU HAVE A GOOD CONSISTANT MOTION when you make your charging stroke and keep the powder level in the reservoir kinda consistant.  FWIW, I do: Position the empty case, lift the handle, two light taps, lower the handle, two light taps. Set the filled case aside, position the new, lift the handle, two light taps, etc.  weigh every 10th charge. 

If you are loading hunting ammo with large cases (30-06 and larger) and using stick powder, usually the PERCENTAGE of variance from the desired charge will be small enough to be a non factor for hunting purposes. 

Of course, if you're the sort that is shooting your stuff at red line charges, everything should be weighed and double checked, IMO.

Offline Savage

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 11:34:43 AM »
I'm loading mostly .223 in rifle calibers these days. I charge 60 cases directly from the powder measure, weighing the first, last, and one random charge. I keep a Lee "Perfect" powder measure full of 4198 just for the .223. Just got thru a run of 800 or so without more than a tenth of a grain or so variation. This is range ammo, and is loaded a full grain under max. These are not match loads, but shoot an average of 1.10 groups in my ARs, and ring the steel at 200yds just fine. Precise enough for my applications!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Hook686

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2008, 01:24:55 PM »
Yes. I weigh the load when I first set up the press for a particular reload. I observe the amount of powder in the shell case. I watch each throw of powder as I seat the bullet. If one looks a bit off I weigh the charge. I accept +/- .5 grains for my 2400 loadings, as I am typically in the middle of the range of loads listed in the manuals I've checked. If I'm loading 16.8 grains of Alliant 2400, I've typically found my loads run 16.5 - 17.1 grains ... once in a blue moon I'l get + or - .5 grains on the scales vertical scale. I don't get too excited, as Alliant might show 18.7 grains as the maximum load.

So yes, I throw and I weigh, but I throw a lot more than I weigh.
Hook686

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2008, 04:03:23 PM »
I use an old RCBS powder measure and it is scary how consistent it is.  I used to weigh, but my powder measure drops perfect loads so it is a waste of time once it is set up.  I like ball powders best.  They seem to be very consistent.

Offline john keyes

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2008, 05:10:43 PM »
I used to hand dump em all out of an aspirin bottle when i used the old IMR 4350,4064 and 4831.

Now I use all the Hodgdon equivalents and they meter perfectly.

just like someone said be consistent and deliberate, and dump a few out everyonce in a while and check em on your scale.
Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 02:14:11 AM »
Have a DPS 1200 that I love.  When it's done with the powder dump, I'm ready to seat another bullet.  If I'm using one of my powder measures that I have pre-set, I do check about every 10-12 throws or if one looks wrong.  I use the DPS 1200 scale to check the weight, if you don't have an electric scale, get one.  Even if you use regular powder measures, the electric scales are so much faster and easier to use, I haven't used a balance beam scale since.  DP.
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline nodlenor

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 02:38:34 AM »
It may not be nessasary but I weigh every load. I just feel more comfortable doing it that way. I still get variances in my loads when I use my chrony though. I'm not sure what it would be like if I just used a drop without weighing.
Self government without self discipline will not work; Paul Harvey

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008, 03:11:22 AM »
Pharmacist here....weigh all powders like I was taught!!!!
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2008, 04:07:14 AM »
 I throw everything through my uniflow equipped with a micrometer stem. I'll weigh the first couple throws, but with the easy reference the micrometer provides I'm usually dead on. Accuracy is outstanding, the other day I shot a 0.258 with my 7.62x39

You guys who throw for handguns but not rifles really need to reevaluate. The percentage of error is going to be much much larger on a handgun round that only holds 12grns of propellant vs a rifle cartridge that holds 50 grains. So logically if you're reluctant to throw charges for something you should be throwing for rifle rounds and measuring for handgun ammo.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2008, 06:56:38 AM »
Krochus

You bring up a very good point about the percentages of rifle verse handgun case capacities , also most of your benchrest shooters load by volume and not be weight .

This is something that most of us don't think about given that we have become acustom to just throwing pistol charges and calling them good enough .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2008, 09:39:57 AM »
This is something that most of us don't think about given that we have become acustom to just throwing pistol charges and calling them good enough.

I weigh everything.  I even took my powder measure off my bench 'cause I just couldn't bring myself to trust it and weighed ever charge it through anyway.  At most I would use it to through a charge just under the desired weight and then trickle it up on my balance beam.  But then I don't load more'en 10- 20 rounds per caliber at a time and those usually have different charges.  Now I do load more pistol cat-a-ges at a time, but as Stimpy says, if I don't trust the machine when it's throughing 50 or 60 grains, I'm darn sure not gonna trust it throughin' 5 or 10!   :D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club