Author Topic: Craig Bodington  (Read 1635 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Craig Bodington
« on: June 18, 2008, 03:22:20 PM »
I remember when he used to preface his name with his USMCR rank in his articles.  This continued after it was reported he was nominated for Flag Rank and then his articles started with "Gen. Craig Bodington."  I never heard that the promotion ever took place and all of a sudden he stopped using his rank.  Does anyone know the story about this?  I've been curious about it for some years now.

And I see he is now referring to that good lookin' blonde (Donna) he been hangin' with as his "wife."   :-*
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Craig Bodington
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 03:43:57 PM »
Ya know I have wondered the same thing. Hope someone knows the story.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 03:56:54 PM »
He was selected for promotion to Brigadier General USMCR in April 2001. He retired in September 2005.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 04:50:18 PM »
I don' know the story but he is my favorite gun writer. I do remember reading in a local newspaper not long after we went to Iraq a reporter was doing an article and they interviewed him from a command post in Kuwait and they referred to him as General Craig Boddington.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 04:17:39 AM »
He has some really good TV shows, wish he did more.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 04:43:14 AM »
I also enjoy his writing and hunting stories.
Here's a couple bits of info I found:

From another forum:
Col. Craig Boddington had a booth at the show, and it was a pleasure meeting him!  He was very nice and congenial, and spent a lot of time talking to people about rifles, loads, and hunts.  I asked him if he was officially granted the Brig. General rank he was nominated for, and he said no, he retired before congressional approval of the new rank went through whatever necessary channels it must go through.  He didn't say it and he probably wouldn't have, but it sounded to me like he got screwed by politicians sitting on their hands who wouldn't grant him the title he earned and deserved.  I bought one of his hunting videos and asked him to autograph the cover.  Jokingly, I asked him to sign it "I wish I was as good a hunter as Ted!  Craig Boddington," and he laughed and did it!  He seemed a very genuine guy with a good sense of humor

From a 2003 article:Officials find Marine unlawfully frocked

By Sandra Jontz, Stars and Stripes
European edition, Saturday, August 30, 2003

ARLINGTON, Va. — A Marine Corps commander who led Marines and coalition forces during Operation Enduring Freedom was unlawfully frocked to brigadier general, a violation of U.S. military code, officials said.

Col. Craig Boddington, a reservist activated in 2001 and deployed to the Persian Gulf, had been instructed by his superior, Lt. Gen. Earl Hailston, to don the one star as he took command of the Combined Joint Task Force Consequence Management, Marine Forces, at Camp Doha, Kuwait.

Frocking is the term used when an officer is selected for promotion, assumes the responsibilities and wears the insignia, but is not being paid at the higher rank’s salary. Frocking required Senate confirmation, which Boddington did not have.

“I felt I was acting under orders from my superior,” Boddington said Friday during a telephone interview. “… Gen. Hailston felt that the combined joint task force required a brigadier general to command it. I was a selectee at the time, and we all believed conformation and frocking authority was forthcoming.”

Hailston frocked Boddington on April 3, 2001, just as Boddington took command of the CJTF-CM. He served until December 2002, when the Defense Department Inspector General’s office began an investigation following an anonymous tip. The CJTF-CM’s mission was to train forces to respond to chemical, biological, nuclear or radiological attacks against forces operating in Afghanistan.

Hailston, who since has submitted his retirement package, served as Commander of U.S. Marine Forces Pacific and U.S. Marine Forces Central Command. He could not be reached for comment Friday. Boddington’s frocking also had the blessing of now-Commandant Gen. Michael Hagee, who was subordinate to Hailston when Hailston recommended Boddington for promotion and instructed him to pin on the one star.

At the time Boddington was frocked, Hagee was commanding officer of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force at Camp Lejeune, N.C.

“We concluded that Generals Hagee and Hailston and Col. Boddington violated, or caused a violation of, the standards that govern frocking of officers and wearing of the insignia of a higher grade,” reads a portion of IG report. “In that regard, all three officers knew Col. Boddington was ineligible to be frocked or to wear the rank insignia of brigadier general without Senate confirmation and yet, engaged in conduct that facilitated Lt. Gen. Hailston’s improper frocking of Col. Boddington.”

Boddington, commander of the Reserve 1st Marine Expeditionary Force Augmentation Command Element at Camp Pendleton, Calif., recently was counseled by the acting Navy Secretary, Hansford Johnson, himself, over the issue.

“I understand that I should have gone outside the chain of command for resolution, but at the time, that didn’t seem like the appropriate action,” Boddington said he told Johnson.

Johnson issued Hailston a letter of censure, and sent a letter to Hagee, noting Hagee’s “limited involvement” in the matter, but did not take any disciplinary action. “I have the utmost confidence in your ability as Commandant, and am certain that you will ensure the lessons of this incident do not go unlearned within the Marine Corps,” reads a portion of Johnson’s Aug. 25 letter.

Hagee, who is traveling in the Pacific, was not available to take questions. His public affairs staff released the following statement: “I fully admit to and accept responsibility for forwarding Lt. Gen. Hailston’s directive to Col. Boddington that he be frocked. In hindsight, I should have further questioned Lt. Gen. Hailston’s directive and pursued other alternatives.”

The tipster complained that Boddington’s wearing of the rank “was creating a morale problem for the troops ‘most of whom believe that he is not entitled to wear the star until he is actually confirmed,’” the IG report states. Investigators found no similar complaints to the Defense Hotline and no other witness voiced concern or awareness, the report states

“He’s one of the better leaders I’ve ever worked for,” said Cpl. Daniel Diaz, 23, who served as Boddington’s bodyguard while deployed to Kuwait. “Morale went up from the time he stepped on deck to the time he left.

“Even though he was a general, he would take care of Marines down to the lowest level. He’s an all-around good guy,” said Diaz, a reservist for more than 3 years.

Boddington, who has been I MACE commander for 2 years, said he knows who made the anonymous tip and why, “but I will not discuss any of that,” he said.

“Morale was somewhat better in November when temperatures were 80 degrees than in July, when it was 140 degrees,” Boddington said. “But in terms of morale being a problem within the unit because of improper frocking, I don’t believe it existed, with the one exception.”

http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=17265

A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 05:59:58 AM »
When I was a Marine, whether the big dog was wearing a star or an eagle would have weighed heavily on my mind and really inhibited my ability to wage war. ;)  Sounds like a big pile of "inside the beltway organic fertilizer" to me.

Offline jager

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 07:38:30 AM »
I met him and his friend Chub Eastman at the Nosler booth at an NRA Convention one year. He really seemed like a decent "sort" who would take the time to give you the "time-of-day" even if it was "off topic".  I had retired from the "Corps" years earlier and he mentioned he was interested in doing the same (pre-Desert Storm) some day. Although a "reservist", friends of mine in the "active" service that knew him "professionally" said he earned his "way" by performance and not by name or political appointment. I'm sorry to hear of his problems regarding his rank to "Brigadier"; that's a mighty "fickle" and "exclusive club" that plays by "nonstandard" rules of Ascension. We used to have so few Generals in, what used to be a small branch of the service, that just being selected for the first "Star" was like getting selected for the NFL draft.  Like most, I really enjoy his writings and consider him to have earned his credibility in both his professions through hard, competent work. I hope he gets to enjoy his retirement!

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 07:48:29 AM »
I enjoy his articles and shows . From what is said here it seems he will not allow himself to stoop to the low level of politics .
That in itself warrants respect !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 08:03:24 AM »
Interesting.  I'm sure Boddington knew he would never receive a star after the censure; to bad.   :(  Although I wouldn't presume to comment on his command ability, his comment
“I understand that I should have gone outside the chain of command for resolution, but at the time, that didn't seem like the appropriate action,” Boddington said ...
says a lot to me about his strength of character; at least in a military sense.

I can readily imagine some subordinate officer with a chip on his shoulder having someone complain to their congressman.  For example, and just an example, some NA grad who feels that he should have been given the command because he is a professional (not to mention that it was a flag grade assignment) rather then some reservist who got it just because he was a popular author...  or maybe just some disgruntled enlisted man (they all are) who didn't like being made to work (they all don't).   ;D 

Oh well, he's still one of my favorite gun writers and seems to have avoided that attitude most of them develop.  Thanks for the info.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club