Author Topic: Your Favorite Method Of .......................  (Read 609 times)

Offline Lawdog

• Trade Count: (0)
Your Favorite Method Of .......................
« on: July 23, 2003, 10:00:35 AM »
How many of you will be bow hunting this year?  What game will you be bow hunting?  Do you do it as a brush up for rifle season?  Do you prefer stalking your game or sitting in a tree and "bushwhacking" them?  I plan on getting in some bow hunting for deer and wild hogs, maybe even a Black Bear.  I prefer to spot and stalk my game, just seems to be more fair being on the ground.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Your Favorite Method Of ...................
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2003, 11:03:14 AM »
:D I'll be hunting whitetails. I'll most likely be stand hunting. The heavy vegetation in WI doesn't lend itself to spotting game. You would most likely be hunting many years before you spot a bear in WI and stalk within bow range. You could have success stalking deer but I don't feel like it would be all that productive.
To me bowhunting is a different sport and I like to hunt no matter what the firearm is.

Offline Thomas Krupinski

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 11:18:23 AM »
I drew an archery anterless elk tag for Arizona 6A south this year.  That will begin the middle of September.  Before that there is over the counter archery deer, turkey, squirel, lion and bear in that same unit.

Still hunting is the way I will be going, just a slow gentle walk.  I do have one of those Ameristep Outhouse ground blinds that I may try over some tanks at sundown, but haven't used a comercial ground blind before.

After those hunts, we have a December archery deer season if that tag is unused, and there is quail season from October till February.

Now I have some friends with some muzzleloader and general elk tags, I like to go on elk hunts even if I am not the one with the tag.  Hunting is hunting, pulling the trigger or dropping the string is nice, but not entirely necessary to have a good time.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2003, 12:18:41 PM »
Both my sons and I bowhunt.  It is always for whitetail.  Generally we are in treestands as we hunt the big woods.  I have done some spot and stalk and must say it is a thrill.  I used to live for bowhunting (and archery) and only rifle hunted because I could'nt stand to not be in the woods during any part of hunting season (and I liked the fact that I could reach out a lot farther with the rifle).  But now, I like both the same.  It seems I have developed a much greater appreciation for shooting rifles throughout the year, so hunting with them has become much more enjoyable.
Life is short......eternity is long.