Author Topic: Prototype Carolina left-handed neck holster for NAA mini-revolver  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Doktor

• Trade Count: (0)
I got to playing with a piece of Kydex material, I had a thought that all the currently available neck style holsters for the NAA mini's point either straight out to the side, or straight up to your head. (shudder, with my luck) The shape is reminiscent of South Carolina, mine is left handed, but if you "flip" the photo it will be right handed.
If someone could come up with a neck holster, where the barrel would point into a more neutral position, then it would be safer for all concerned.
I came up with a prototype that was reasonably easy to construct, it is not necessarily a completed product, but open to suggestion/criticism.
MAKE SURE IT IS EMPTY, NO BULLETS, EMPTY
First, I took a rough estimation of the amount of material it would take by laying my NAA Magnum in a roughly diagonal position.
Then flipped it over to try to double, I did not take any measurements, as I wasn't even sure it would be a viable option.
Next, I heated the material with a heat gun till it was pretty pliable, use caution, and a good set of welding gloves, I think I read somewhere that the stuff needs to be 225, but formable is the real test. I got my heat gun from Wally World, but they are available in a lot of different places.
The next step is the most critical, the Kydex has to be formed to fit the outside of the revolver, if the stuff is the right temp it fits easily.
Have some type of heat resistant foam, I used the foam from a gun case with a cloth between the gun and the foam, then compress it fairly tight, so the Kydex can hold it's shape.
After at least 20 minutes, check to ensure the form is a proper fit, the stuff can be reheated, but try to get it right the first time.
Trim it to your desired shape, (a Dremel cutter, and some sanding/polishing with the Dremel, drill the holes for grommets, set the grommets and you are set to tie some paracord.
You will be able to tweak the tension with either a pencil torch, or your heat gun, you may also want to add a "tension adjustment screw" but I found it was not necessary, after I drilled the pilot hole.

Doc

The Doktor
Retired U.S.Army medic
www.ruggedcrossriders.com
Life Member NRA
Life Member DAV
Liife Member VFW
Life Member American Legion