Author Topic: Powder kegs?  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Terry C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I see what you did there...
Powder kegs?
« on: June 21, 2008, 02:57:32 AM »
This is a bit off subject, but it's cannon-related since it involves the display of my guns.

I've been trying to find some information on the dimensions of wooden powder kegs. While most of my books discuss powder to some length, they all stop short of actually giving the capacities of the kegs and barrels used.

This all started as I revisited some old posts of mine, looking for some totally unrelated snippet of text. I came upon a link to a site that I posted that sold small wooden kegs. These are real oak barrel kegs, in sizes ranging from 1 to 20 liters. The specific ones I am looking at are the 1-, 2-, and possibly the 3-liter sizes. They aren't cheap, but they aren't outrageously expensive either. 1-liter barrels start at $27.99 + shipping (a $3 increase since I originally posted the link). They're cheaper if you buy more than one, and they have special pricing on some combos.

They would make great display items, but only IF they are close to the correct scale.

A little quick and dirty calculation tells me that, at quarter-scale, the 2-liter keg (7.5" tall) would roughly estimate the size of a 30-gallon barrel. At half the height of the wheel, this seems close to the one image I found with a powder barrel and a cannon in close proximity.

The 1-liter keg is an inch shorter and about a half-inch less in diameter.

BTW: As I stated, these are actual working kegs (comes with a spigot and a stand) that are charred inside. I thought I'd put that out there in case anyone has any, ahem, other purpose in mind...

Any information on the capacities or dimensions of actual CW period powder kegs/barrels would be a great help here.

Offline Terry C.

Re: Powder kegs?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 05:18:54 AM »
Oops, forgot to add the link:

The Barrel Source

The plain black steel hooped kegs are the least expensive, and for my purposes would be fine, but the brass hooped kegs are things of beauty and would look great on a bar...

.. if I had a bar.

If I drank, which I don't (anymore).

Hmm... I wonder how Diet Rite® would taste from a charred oak barrel?  ???

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 07:01:00 AM »
Terry C.
The U. S. Ordnance Manual of 1862 gives the following on government powder barrels which held 100 pounds of powder.

Whole Length...........................20.5 inches
Length, interior, in the clear........18       "
Interior diameter at the head.......14      "
Interior diameter at the bilge........16    "
Thickness of the staves and heads.. 0.5 inch
Weight of barrel with cedar hoops ... 25 pounds

The barrels had generally 12 hoops of cedar or hickory, 14 to 16 staves and 2 or 3 pieces af wood in the head. The manual states that some barrels had been made with 6 copper hoops and others with 4 copper hoops and 8 to 10 cedar hoops. They did not have a bung but had a 1.5 inch screw in plug in the head. Lots more detail on their construction in the manual.
Max

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 07:39:36 AM »
When I have a chance I'll post a photo of a nice wood hooped period powder keg of mine,
I found it at a fleamarket in Florida back in the early 80's  ;D
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline rampa room artillery

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 09:38:49 AM »
what about a 25 lb keg, that is somthing that is a little bit smaller and able to be taken places easier.
Up at the fort in winchester va. they have a original keg just right for 25 lbs i will have to get dimensions here in august when i go up there for the artillery shoot.

I will let you know.

Rick bryan
N-Ssa
3rd va. co B.

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 10:36:12 AM »
Max Caliber, thanks. That's just the kind of information I was looking for.

I hadn't thought about the hoops. The black steel hoops kill any authenticity as a powder keg.

The brass hoops might fly (they could pass for copper), but they're more expensive.

The one-liter size is a little larger than a quarter-scale 100 pound powder barrel.

I'm going to have to give this more thought.

Since this is a non-functioning display, I may try laminationg some oak wedges together and turning a barrel in the lathe. I could steam some thin strips for hoops. This would give me an acceptable outside appearance, and the inside is irrelevant since the ends will be closed with heads.

If I do this I may make the smaller sized keg, too.

As for the cool little barrels, I still want one 'just because'...

Maybe I should replicate this display:

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 02:49:59 AM »
 "Hmm... I wonder how Diet Rite® would taste from a charred oak barrel ???"

I suspect flavor might improve somewhat...

I've been looking on Ebay for little (like 1/2 - 1 pint size) kegs for a while now, but so far haven't found any nice ones for a reasonable price. They seem to either be bigger ones, or overpriced miniature 'artwork' designed for those who can afford a wine cellar.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Terry C.

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 06:43:55 AM »
I suspect flavor might improve somewhat...

Couldn't hurt!

Speaking of 'diet', at my Dr. visit last week (she hates me) I was told I would lose 20 pounds over the next three months.

Not that I 'should' lose 20 pounds, that I 'would' lose 20 pounds. The inference was that I would lose it or she would cut it off me. And she didn't say where she would start cutting.

Did I mention she hates me?

I've been looking on Ebay for little (like 1/2 - 1 pint size) kegs for a while now, but so far haven't found any nice ones for a reasonable price. They seem to either be bigger ones, or overpriced miniature 'artwork' designed for those who can afford a wine cellar.

I saw some of those. $89.99 for a tiny little keg with a brass spigot?

Here's a couple more barrel photos from Fort Clinch:

Offline Div Arty

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 07:42:04 AM »

Terry C.   Try turning it out of solid stock.  Then groove the staves with a single V checkering tool, or a triangle file.  Over a natural or stained finnish, cover it with a light thin coat of flat or satin varnish.  Stripe the hoops with brass or copper metalic hobby dope or steamed wood.   Might, if you don't mind black try electrical tape.  Or they might have color tape.  Sticks well to a varnish surface. 
Good luck.   It's all in the faux.

Off topic:     CW what happened to Lance, kinda miss his input.

Ron

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 01:36:29 PM »
Off topic:     CW what happened to Lance, kinda miss his input.
         Ron

I'll let him speak for himself - he's alive and well just outside of beautiful down-town Floyd, VA.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 02:55:13 PM »
     Mike and I found these beautiful kegs at Ft. Macon near Morehead City, North Carolina.  They are by far the most authentic we have ever found.  Look at the natural tree fiber hoops, lots of them per barrel with real nice markings as well.  We have seen steel hoops too, but they are NOTauthentic, for obvious reasons.  Hope you find a nice one, Terry.  We suspect they are more rare than hen's teeth.

Regards,

Tracy and Mike

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 04:57:43 PM »
This is supposed to be an original powder keg from the 19th century. Somewhere along the line someone must have put the nice finish on it. It's interesting to see how the steamed hoops are fastened on the keg; when they dried and shrunk it must have caused enough friction to hold the hoops together and enough pressure to hold the staves tightly.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.