Author Topic: Now trying this Nikko Sterling Golden Crown ona .22LR  (Read 556 times)

Offline Brithunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Now trying this Nikko Sterling Golden Crown ona .22LR
« on: June 21, 2008, 11:46:47 AM »
Hi All,

After the dismal performance on the Brno 601 .308 today I decided to put this 4.5-14x50AO onto my BSA Super Sport Five .22LR. It took some fiddling with to get it fitted and the AO ring only barely clears the barrel. I put my Collimeter in the barrel and took a reading from the Hawke Nite-eye that I removed and set up the Nikko Sterling to the same reading and it proved to be pretty close  ;D only slight adjustment was required but the real test will be tomorrow at the range. If it holds zero and allows accurate shooting it will most likely stay on a .22LR rifle but maybe not this one as this in my "bunny basher" complete with sound moderator and the AO requires constant changing for every different range and I cannot be doing with that on a serious hunting rifle.

Offline Brithunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Now trying this Nikko Sterling Golden Crown ona .22LR
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 12:34:46 AM »
Well this scope seems to work on a 22LR rifle and for use on the range appears fine. The weather was awful with near gale force winds, the poor Poplar tree at the side of the 25 meter backstop was swaying 8-10 feet in the wind but I was able to obtain some nice tight groups. Obviously the recoil on the .22lR bolt action is not enough to move the fast focus eye piece unlike the .308 I tried it on previously.

The drawbacks for me with this scope is that using over 8x magnification the eye position becomes really critical and the further up the power range the more critical it gets, I cannot shoot using my varifocal glasses have to switch to an old single prescription lens with this scope due to the eye positon thing. Now I need to find some higher rings to fit this scope to my other BSA Super Sport five as it cannot stay on my pest/varmint rifle as the AO makes it impractical. The Rabbits ands Rats won't sit still long enough to get the scope focused if they appear at anything other that the distance it's set up for.