Author Topic: father daughter talk  (Read 2323 times)

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
father daughter talk
« on: June 22, 2008, 05:55:29 AM »
Father Daughter Talk

A young woman was about to finish her first year of college.

Like so many

others her age, she considered herself to be a very liberal Democrat, and

was ver
y much in favor of 'the redistribution of wealth.

'

She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch Republican, a

feeling she openly expressed.

Based on the lectures that she had

participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that

her father had for years harbored an evil, selfish desire to keep what he

thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on

the rich and the addition of more government welfare programs.

The

self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth

and she indicated so to her father.

He responded by asking how she was

doing in school.

Taken aback, she answered rath er haughtily that she had a 4.

0 GPA, and let

him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn't even have time for a boyfriend, and didn't really have many college friends because she spent all her time studying.

Her father listened and then asked, 'How is your friend Audrey doing?'

She replied, 'Audrey is barely getting by.

All she takes are easy classes,

she never studies, and she barely has a 2.0 GPA.

She is so popular on

campus; college for her is a blast.

She's always invited to all the

parties, and lots of times she doesn't even show up for classes because

she's too hung over.

'

Her wise father asked his daughter, 'Why don't you go to the Dean's office

and ask him to deduct a 1.

0 off your GPA and give it to your friend who

only has a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.

0 GPA and certainly that

would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA.

'

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired

back, 'That wouldn't be fair! I have worked really hard for my grades! I've

invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree.

She played while I worked my tail off!'

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, 'Welcome to the Republican Party.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Fazak

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: father daughter talk
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 06:11:33 AM »
Father Daughter Talk

She replied, 'Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes, she never studies, and she barely has a 2.0 GPA.She is so popular on
campus; college for her is a blast. She's always invited to all the parties, and lots of times she doesn't even show up for classes because she's too hung over.

So,.. if somebody isn't rich, it's because they're a lazy drunk?

Offline Chilachuck

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 06:39:49 AM »
So,.. if somebody isn't rich, it's because they're a lazy drunk?

Is being a lazy drunk the only reason for poor grades?

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 09:06:54 AM »
The way I took it is why should people that work hard to get what they have be forced to give it away to people that don't or won't.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 09:36:42 AM »
Bravo, Bravo, I like it.

I called my Dad yesterday morning, and one of my younger brothers Darrell answered.  Right off the bat he starts making jabs at me about how he has to work for a living, unlike other people that sit around on their lazy XXX and get paid for it.  Then he hung up on me.  Darrell and my mother are very bitter about my retirement.  Two of my brothers, Darrell and Jimmy, did just like my Dad.  Both never held any kind of decent job, one that had any benifits.  They change their jobs like most people change shirts, they could never get along with their bosses, claimed they were stupid.  They never built up any retirement, or paid any thing into a retirement fund.  My Mom is always fussing that it is not fair.  Here I am making five times what my father makes, and I never worked as hard, nor as long as my father did.  They are having to live on nothing but their Social Security checks.  She thinks Obama will even out some of that inequality.  She is always complaining about how my brothers have no health insurance to take care of their families, the government needs to do something. 

Well my two brothers Jimmy and Darrell, are both in excess of 250 pounds, and under 6 ft tall.  Both are diabetic, and now have serious health problems.  Jimmy had a stroke three months ago, Darrell's wife had a stroke six months ago, then Darrell had a heart attack last month.  Both are so busy sitting crying "poor me, poor me" they can't see beyond their noses.  Darrell's oldest daughter just graduated high school this year.  Darrell is telling her the same thing my mother told me.  "You better forget college, you need to learn how to go out and get a job, and make money.  College ain't going to make you a living, hard work will".  When I mentioned that she could be eligiable for a scolastic scholorship, Darrell said no daughter of his will ever take charity, and that is what a scholarship is.  Darrell refuses to listen to reason, when I tell him that scholarships are not charity or wellfare.

Darrell is constantly telling me how only a democratic President is going to straighten this country out, and make things fair.  The thing that really scares me is that so many people in the south are in the same position, and have the same "Poor me, Poor me" attitude.  They are the ones that will vote someone like Obama in.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Fazak

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 10:35:01 AM »
There's undoubtedly people out there who are too sorry to work,... but there's millions of people in this country bustin' their hump just to get by.

If education were available to all at a reasonable cost, I'd be more inclined to agree with the context of this thread, but higher education is priced far out of the reach of vast numbers of people these days.

It's a situation that's really going to become apparent with the generation that's coming up now.

Any country that wants to bill itself as "the land of opportunity" has to put education within the reach of it's people,.. or it's telling a lie.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 10:49:07 AM »
  Myself and my children served in the military and earned our educational benefits. I'm sorry but I don't think that everyone should be "givin" a full college education. Most people that have to be "givin" an education are the ones that are too lazy to earn it. I have no time for the people that think they are entitled to everything, it breeds laziness and liberalism, one and the same to me. And yes I have an education and still bust my hump just to get by, but I will suppoer me and mine and I do not wanna support the lazy shiftless scum that complains that they are "entitled" to a post secondary education. They need to get off thier rearends and earn it, they will go much farther in life if they earn it and learn that ambition will get you far. 
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline Fazak

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 10:58:33 AM »
  Myself and my children served in the military and earned our educational benefits. I'm sorry but I don't think that everyone should be "givin" a full college education. Most people that have to be "givin" an education are the ones that are too lazy to earn it. I have no time for the people that think they are entitled to everything, it breeds laziness and liberalism, one and the same to me. And yes I have an education and still bust my hump just to get by, but I will suppoer me and mine and I do not wanna support the lazy shiftless scum that complains that they are "entitled" to a post secondary education. They need to get off thier rearends and earn it, they will go much farther in life if they earn it and learn that ambition will get you far. 

That's a nice little speech,.. but the fact that you label anyone who is without the means for secondary education "lazy shiftless scum" pretty much means that it's nonsense.

But if it makes you feel superior,..good for you.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 11:31:17 AM »

Well put Bill, especially the "I'll support me and mine", I think that's the general gist of the story.

Fazak, I think if you read his post he was calling people that think they are entitled to things without having to work for them lazy shiftless scum. There are grants and scholarships for people that can't afford school. There are more ways for people to get an education nowadays that ever before, but you still have to work to graduate. If someone like Clarence Thomas (poor and a minority)can work his way from poverty to the SCOTUS how can you say it can't be done?

I don't have an education. I dropped out and got my GED because I thought (stupidly) at the time it was more important to get a paycheck than an education. I started out doing almost exactly what I do now for minimum wage. I applied myself, worked on my skills and now after 24 years in the trade I make a pretty good buck. I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination but I earn a decent salary. I use the word earn very deliberately.

Back to the original topic, I posted this as I found it humorous. I thought it was a clever analogy that pointed out the different ways republicans and democrats look at the world. How it got to a debate over higher education I don't know.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 11:39:45 AM »
Why can't people see a true picture?  Of course there are people who are lazy and don't work... there are also those who work hard and can't get ahead... I do have sympathy for those who work hard and try to get ahead, particularly if their role models don't have an education.  But I have no sympathy for those who eschew education for any reason.  Anyone who claims the average man can't afford college does not know what he's talking about.  

I've been fortunate to live a comfortable life and do a job I enjoy.  What made it possible?  I worked hard in highschool to get a good scholarship in a good college... I worked hard in college to get into lawschool.  I worked hard in lawschool to be able to have a successful practice and have the time and money to pursue my passions in life.  It's not a mystery that your life will be more comfortable and monetarily secure with a good education.  Then save some of that money to pay for your kids' education so they have the same opportunities you do.

And save your talk about how normal people can't afford school.  My last 2 roommates and my wife all have postgraduate degrees that they paid for the entire way... And each one has more than made up for the expense (as a doctor, NASA scientist, and lawyer)...  With junior college, AP courses, government loans, and campus jobs available anyone who says they can't afford an education is using that as an excuse.

Offline Tencubed

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 12:22:33 PM »
Why can't people see a true picture?  Of course there are people who are lazy and don't work... there are also those who work hard and can't get ahead... I do have sympathy for those who work hard and try to get ahead, particularly if their role models don't have an education.  But I have no sympathy for those who eschew education for any reason.  Anyone who claims the average man can't afford college does not know what he's talking about.  

I've been fortunate to live a comfortable life and do a job I enjoy.  What made it possible?  I worked hard in highschool to get a good scholarship in a good college... I worked hard in college to get into lawschool.  I worked hard in lawschool to be able to have a successful practice and have the time and money to pursue my passions in life.  It's not a mystery that your life will be more comfortable and monetarily secure with a good education.  Then save some of that money to pay for your kids' education so they have the same opportunities you do.

And save your talk about how normal people can't afford school.  My last 2 roommates and my wife all have postgraduate degrees that they paid for the entire way... And each one has more than made up for the expense (as a doctor, NASA scientist, and lawyer)...  With junior college, AP courses, government loans, and campus jobs available anyone who says they can't afford an education is using that as an excuse.

Got to agree with you and will add that some folks simply are not ready for college when they get out of high school.  I would never have been able to put up with the liberal stupidity of the colleges when I was at that age, was not able to pass the hearing tests to get into the military and instead made my way by working hard and building a few businesses along with farming.  School of hard knocks I think it's called.  Even those of us who had no help from anyone can make a go of it if your willing to work hard and put in 60 or 80 hour weeks to get things going.  Having an excellent wife who is willing to work as hard as you is essential IMO.  Retired the first time when I was 47 but couldn't stand the lack of challenge.  Finally retired at 65 due to health issues, some of them related to hard work but mostly just stuff that happens.

We have a farm that has been in the family for generations.  When Lyndon Johnson got "The Great Society" thing started and all the free money and easy loans started for college students all of a sudden we no longer had young people coming around looking for summer work.  Prior to this there was a constant parade of job seekers during the spring of the year.  When the easy money became available the willingness to work for an education seemed to go away.  The spend now, pay later attitude seemed to take over.  This year, for the first time in a long time, we have a young woman that is working thru the summer tending cattle.  She is starting her education to become a veterinarian and wants to know about animals from the ground up.  Hopefully she will be coming back each year till she finishes school.

Having spent the last decade or so in the ultra liberal Seattle area and watched with amazement how people expect to be able to drive two new cars, have a boat, couple of quad runners, ski equipment and et-cetera but work not more that 40 hours a week to pay for it all as soon as they get out of school.  Well you know where this is going. 

Most of the folks that cry about the underprivileged are great believers in the "redistribution of wealth" as long as it's not their wealth that is being "redistributed". If people want a better life the first thing they have to do is get off their dead butts and go looking for work.  When I again see people coming down our road as they used to and stopping to ask for a job is when I'll believe the majority of the lay-abouts are serious about wanting something other than a handout.  Until then I'm basing my beliefs on what I see going on around me and what I hear coming out of mouths of those that want the government to take care of them because they "can't find a job".

Mike
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Why do I carry a gun?  Because a Cop's too heavy.
Oldest rifle I shoot - 1854 Sharps 50-70

Offline wanderer

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »
Anyone who really wants to get a post secondary education and is willing to work for it can. I busted my butt in high school, graduated with a 4.0 and I did well on the ACT test because I worked so hard in school. No, I'm not dumb, but I'm really not particularly bright either, just about average or maybe slightly above average, I would guess. I knew that if I was going to go to college, I had to get some scholarships. I knew that my parents, while not poor, could not afford to pay for my education.  I did end up getting quite a bit of scholarship money. During high school I worked 35-40 hours per week all year long and I also mowed a bunch of lawns during the summers. I am in college now and I'm working two jobs this summer. I am also keeping my grades up, which means that I don't have much a social life sometimes, but if that's what it takes, so be it. Sure, it takes some effort, but when I'm done with college, I'll have an engineering degree and not owe anyone (including my parents) any money. I'm willing to bet that many of the people who "can't" afford college actually could have.

And like Tencubed said, putting up with the liberal stupidity is a pain, fortunately I am going to an engineering school which isn't as bad as other colleges and I'm finished with all of my required liberal arts classes.  ;D  Others may not be so lucky.

Offline Fazak

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 12:55:18 PM »
One in 17 kids from families making $37,000 or less annually get a college degree.

1 out of 2 kids from families making $85,000 or more a year get college degrees.

The fact is,... most people out there bragging about hitting a home run were born on third base.

Offline Tencubed

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 01:25:27 PM »
Anyone who really wants to get a post secondary education and is willing to work for it can. I busted my butt in high school, graduated with a 4.0 and I did well on the ACT test because I worked so hard in school. No, I'm not dumb, but I'm really not particularly bright either, just about average or maybe slightly above average, I would guess. I knew that if I was going to go to college, I had to get some scholarships. I knew that my parents, while not poor, could not afford to pay for my education.  I did end up getting quite a bit of scholarship money. During high school I worked 35-40 hours per week all year long and I also mowed a bunch of lawns during the summers. I am in college now and I'm working two jobs this summer. I am also keeping my grades up, which means that I don't have much a social life sometimes, but if that's what it takes, so be it. Sure, it takes some effort, but when I'm done with college, I'll have an engineering degree and not owe anyone (including my parents) any money. I'm willing to bet that many of the people who "can't" afford college actually could have.

And like Tencubed said, putting up with the liberal stupidity is a pain, fortunately I am going to an engineering school which isn't as bad as other colleges and I'm finished with all of my required liberal arts classes.  ;D  Others may not be so lucky.

Good on you.  Having a work ethic, setting goals and making decisions has paid off for you this far.  I would guess you're going to continue to be able to enjoy the fruits of your labors.

Good luck with your future.

Mike

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 01:32:12 PM »
One in 17 kids from families making $37,000 or less annually get a college degree.

1 out of 2 kids from families making $85,000 or more a year get college degrees.

The fact is,... most people out there bragging about hitting a home run were born on third base.

What is your source for this info.?

My father never made 37,000 dollars a year in his life and all 3 of his children have college degrees. We were etaught you had to work for what you have in life from a young age, I guess the lesson was well learned.

And because someone comes from a family that does earn more money being more likley to attend college than some family that earns less, may have more to do with the lesson that thier family taught them as they grew up. Many were taught by partents to slack off and rely on someone else to support them. Anyone that complains they cannot afford college is to lazy to find a way to afford college. There are many ways out there for them to EARN thier way.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline wanderer

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 01:40:31 PM »

Good on you.  Having a work ethic, setting goals and making decisions has paid off for you this far.  I would guess you're going to continue to be able to enjoy the fruits of your labors.

Good luck with your future.

Mike

Thanks for the kind words Mike.

Offline Fazak

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 01:53:16 PM »

And because someone comes from a family that does earn more money being more likley to attend college than some family that earns less, may have more to do with the lesson that thier family taught them as they grew up. Many were taught by partents to slack off and rely on someone else to support them.

So you're saying that children from less affluent families are more likely to be lazy?

Offline Fazak

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 02:00:02 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2005-02-02-college-cover_x.htm

How low? Only about one in 17 young people from the nation's poorest families, those earning less than $35,377 a year, can expect to earn a bachelor's degree by age 24. For those from the nation's wealthiest families, those who earn about $85,000 or higher, it's better than one in two.

Offline Tencubed

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 02:11:57 PM »

How low? Only about one in 17 young people from the nation's poorest families, those earning less than $35,377 a year, can expect to earn a bachelor's degree by age 24. For those from the nation's wealthiest families, those who earn about $85,000 or higher, it's better than one in two.

I can understand that.  Most of the younger people I know that are finishing up bachelor level nursing programs are over age 24.  Not really familiar with other programs but when I went back to school in my late 40's there were a number of people in there late twenties to mid thirties taking classes and working full time.  When you have to work for it it tends to take a bit longer.

Mike

Offline Fazak

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 02:17:17 PM »

I can understand that.  Most of the younger people I know that are finishing up bachelor level nursing programs are over age 24.  Not really familiar with other programs but when I went back to school in my late 40's there were a number of people in there late twenties to mid thirties taking classes and working full time.  When you have to work for it it tends to take a bit longer.

Mike

How many of them came from families with $37,000 or less annual income?

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 02:22:03 PM »
  Well of course USA today (geez why don't you just get the teachers union newspaper) a super liberal paper will use sources that slant to thier ideology. No one who served in the military before thier schooling is going to show up in that demographic, and what they fail to tell you in that story is the level of addmissions. many of the welfare students decide college is too hard for them and do not graduate. Answer me this social engeneers and the like here, why back in the day when trade schools were tuition free did not every child in the state of MN attend and graduate at least from atrade school? Couldn't thave been the cost now could it? It was tuition free! IT was because many were too lazy to apply themselves.

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 03:13:18 PM »
There is no question that having wealthy and educated parents helps you become wealthy and educated.  If you doubt that you're an ideologue who can't think for himself... BUT, there is also no question that you can move up in life regardless of what your parents do...  It may take more and/or harder work for those born with less of an advantage, but that's the reality of life.  It doesn't mean it's not possible.  It's a cop out to claim someone can't make it because their parents were poor.

Address the reality of the world, not what your idealogy wishes it was.

Offline Fazak

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 03:32:07 PM »
There is no question that having wealthy and educated parents helps you become wealthy and educated.  If you doubt that you're an ideologue who can't think for himself... BUT, there is also no question that you can move up in life regardless of what your parents do...  It may take more and/or harder work for those born with less of an advantage, but that's the reality of life.  It doesn't mean it's not possible.  It's a cop out to claim someone can't make it because their parents were poor.

Address the reality of the world, not what your idealogy wishes it was.

I am addressing reality.

The other people participating in the discussion seem to think that people with less money are "lazy shiftless scum".

I kjnow quite a few people who don't make a lot of money. In fact, the majority of my aquaintences aren't college educated.

Overall,..I'd say that they work much harder than people with more education,.. but only because they have to.

I don't consider them scum.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 04:20:54 PM »
Again you're taking that comment way out of context.

What percentage of kids in that demographic are also high school dropouts? They have no intention of ever going to college, even though it's free or close to it for lower income people. How can you say college is not accessible to the poor when they can go for free? It's the lack of drive that prevents them from going not inaccessibility.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 04:58:33 PM »
I classify poor people into three catagories.

1.  The people that see what others have and decide they want the same things.  They are what I call hungry for the better things in life.  They know what they want, and they figure out how to get it.  When road blocks jump into their way they find a way around, over, or through them.  Then they go for it, by going to a trade school, into the military, or finding some way to go to college.  But these folks never give up, they have a drive to succeed.  They become very successful.

2.  The people that see what others have and decide they want the same things.  But when they try and get there, road blocks keep popping up.  Or something they have no control of takes hold of their lives and they are not able to overcome that adversity.  They give up, or decide they were not meant to have the better things in life and accept the position they are currently in.  Their drive to succeed just is not strong enough.  These often are good hearted people, that work hard and try, it's just they don't have the focus and the drive required.

3.  The people that see what others have and decide they want the same things.  But they have no drive, no burning desire to succeed.  They give up before they even start.  They sit back and wait for someone to hand it to them.  When that does not happen they get bitter, and start demanding it.  These are the lazy scumbags many people feel need help.  Personally I feel they need to be taken out of the gene pool.  Because they pass on their views and beliefs to their offspring.  Society is better off with out them.

I grew up poor, my father was uneducated, as was my mother.  Ours was one of the families that the church groups brought boxes of food to for Thanksgiving, and Christmas.  The rest of the year we went to bed hungry many nights.  No breakfast, dried beans and corn bread for lunch, same thing for dinner with maybe an onion if we were lucky.  Many days Mom would send us out to pick Polk along the road so we would have some greens with our beans.  Farmers in the area would let us clean out their gardens after they had taken what they wanted.  Five boys, skinny as rails, obviously malnourished.  If someone asked us what we had been eating, if we told my mother would correct us by telling that someone she had fixed a roast, or pork chops, along with the things we mentioned.  Then when we got home behind closed doors we got one heck of a beating, for saying such a thing.  When I started working my mother would take all my pay checks and keep the money, saying that she needed it to cloth and feed me, and my brothers.  When I graduated from high school I ran away and lied about my age and joined the Air Force.  Mom sent the sheriff out looking for me, to bring me back home.  But by the time they located me I was in Tech school and just had my 18th birthday so they could not force me back.  I feel I became very successful.  My middle brother also ran away, married a rich girl whose father made him go to college and set him up in business.  Today he is a millionaire and happy.  My youngest brother was put in reform school by Mom because he would not toe the line for her.  He managed to excape and ran away to Texas.  He met an older woman and got married.  She pushed him to go back and finish high school.  He then went to Texas A&M.  Today he is an Executive with Raytheon.  So I know poor people that have the drive can succeed.  By the way, my other two brothers one is in group 2, the other is in group 3.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 05:05:27 PM »
Grimjim:  You posted while I was writing.  I would like to say you are right, there is no good reason any kid that wants college can't go.  One of the problems I have seen is either the parents are too illiterate to know about ways of sending their kids to higher education.  Or that thing called blind pride, they feel it is charity, and they refuse to let their kids accept it.  Again they are so illiterate to how the system works they can't understand it.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008, 05:27:22 PM »
I see we have a couple of obama voters in the forum,those that think the government should be responsible for education of all the people and their health and medical care, and the redistribution of wealth, make mao and stalin real proud.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline Tencubed

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2008, 05:38:02 PM »

Mike

How many were from families of less than $37,000 annual income?  I have no idea and don't really care.  I do know that any of them I spent much time with were supporting themselves, and sometimes a family, and cash was usually tight.   I have seen these people come to class after putting in a full days work and still excel at their studies.  Seen them do this day in and day out, week after week.  Made me proud to know them.   Just telling you what I saw and have experienced.  I'm not going to partially quote any statistics to spin the results nor am I going to attempt to bait you into an argument.  Matter of fact I believe I'm done with this as it's obvious we do not have similar enough life experiences to be able to agree to disagree.

Mike  

Offline Fazak

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2008, 08:25:35 PM »

Mike

How many were from families of less than $37,000 annual income?  I have no idea and don't really care.

Then your post has no relevance to the statistics I posted.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2008, 06:11:26 AM »
fazak, you sound like a member of the minorities screaming..."it's cause im black!"    no matter the occurance, whether it is a storm, wages, or addiction.   it is always "whiteys keepn me down".   how about a little personal accountability?