Author Topic: Mark of The Beast  (Read 968 times)

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
Mark of The Beast
« on: June 22, 2008, 01:14:48 PM »
I have been driving and walking past these 4 mortars and 5 cannons for many years and never bothered to give them a close look.

The mortars are on the lawn of the Delaware County Court House in Delhi N.Y.. The 5 cannons mark the bounds of the Woodland Cemetery (1847) plot for CW vet's.  All 5 cannon are identical and without any markings but 2 have these little rings intact.

The mortars : * No 43 1008 lbs SCI * / Fort Pitt PA 1864  and  No 3 CA & CO BOSTON / TJR 1862 997  and  No 9 CA & CO BOSTON / TJR 1862 1001  AND PICTURED  No 8 CA & CO BOSTON / TJR 1862 666.

I wondered if artillery men were as superstitious as mariner's seem to have been.  Mark of The Beast :o
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
Re: Mark of The Beast
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 02:15:54 PM »
oooooooooooooohhhh , its a shame to see them just standing there without smoke and flames .
I thought you americans used your stuff  ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 02:38:43 PM »
     Looks like you found a bunch of 8" inch siege mortars, Model 1861.  We found two of these in the 10" size on the last trip through New York State in the town of Cohoes.

We haven't run across the other configuration anywhere.  Maybe someone on this board knows?

Regards,

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 02:46:19 PM »
Wow! Nice crisp markings. Thanks for the photos.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 03:38:11 PM »
The skinny one is a gatepost or fencepost cast in the form of a cannon, it is not a real cannon.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 03:43:51 PM »
What gives you that impression?

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 03:49:01 PM »
Speaking of 10 in. siege mortars, coincidentally I just picked this one up, and I'm very, very broke now, in the red, destitute, penniless.   I know, I should have my head examined, I've heard it all before.

The guy in the picture is the wrecker driver who moved it for us.  The whole thing weighs nearly two tons.  We hope to be out shooting it before too long.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 03:52:56 PM »
What gives you that impression?

I've seen 'em before in various patterns, maybe not one like this, but they are basically fantasy designs that never existed for a real cannon.  Look close and you won't find any marks on it in the right places anyway.  Beat on it with a stick and it will sound hollow wnich it is.  Note the skinny trunnions and unrealistic vent.  I could go on but you get the idea.  I have no doubt whatever this is a hollow, cast-as-a-fencepost "cannon."

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 05:27:53 PM »
Speaking of 10 in. siege mortars, coincidentally I just picked this one up, and I'm very, very broke now, in the red, destitute, penniless.   I know, I should have my head examined, I've heard it all before.

Is that the one from PA?

The guy in the picture is the wrecker driver who moved it for us.  The whole thing weighs nearly two tons.  We hope to be out shooting it before too long.

Is moving a cannon with a wrecker cover by AAA ? :D  :D  :D   All joking aside. That must have been a bit of a challenge. Did you take video of the move?

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 12:16:53 AM »

Wow. I wonder how many can say they've got one of those handy ???

Cannonmn - If you ever move to CA, please look for a place in my neighborhood, eh?

The guy down the block with the Model T's and steam engines in his garage is fun to shoot the breeze with and all, but...............
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 02:58:34 AM »
cannonmn
I'm going to try to slip my response inbetween all the other stuff that has sprung up like mushrooms and hope it doesn't get lost in my post. 

There is a chance that you might be and I sure hope you are correct because for the past 55 years that I have driven past these, I thought it was a waste of nice cannons.

I made my first trip to Bannerman's at 501 Bway in 1951 and the old-timer with one arm who ran the place, always sent me home with treasures. If anyone has the 1927 catalogue as I have, take a look at what was there. As A kid, I had free roam of the shrine.

In the catalogue is written:"We have in stock a large assortment of large and small cannon, both brass and steel. We have sold many for use as ornamental newal posts for clubs, and for outdoor decorations. Write us what you need and we shall quote prices and give full particulars".  Elsewhere it has written, 
"hitching post", "fence post".

So who can say for sure, what is in the Woodland Cemetery besides the obvious?

When the Bannerman building was sold in the late 50's (early 60's?), the bomb squad had to haul away live cannon fodder; some of which predated the Civil War.

I still have the heads of a rammer/sponge and a worm .

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 07:00:17 AM »
onspaw,

The "old timer" wasn't that old at the time, his name is Jim Hogan a WWII vet who lost his arm to a mine when his jeep hit it,

I knew Jim at Bannerman's last haunt in Blue Point L.I.  he was still doing the Allentown Pa gun show the last time I went in 2002,

I don't know if he is still with us though.

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 11:34:16 AM »
When you are 13, anyone over 30 is "old". I last saw him at Blue Point during 1959. Thanks for sharing the happy memory with me.

Richard the Dinosaur

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 03:23:25 PM »
Deep, the 10 in. mortar has had a few homes since donated to Weidener Univ. long ago (or maybe whomever occupied their place ca. 1900.)  One of my near-term projects is sorting through some records I have which will tell me what fort or arsenal the piece lived in prior to its donation.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 04:21:59 PM »
Speaking of 10 in. siege mortars, coincidentally I just picked this one up, and I'm very, very broke now, in the red, destitute, penniless.   

The classic choice:  guns or butter.

Hi John, my name is Tim ....
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 04:39:52 PM »
Hi again Tim, I got another 500 lbs. of zinc today, a guy who had found a bunch of new sacrificial zincs made for ships but never installed.  Average weight was 25 lbs each.  We try to schedule our "casting parties" on cooler days.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 02:20:49 AM »
Sounds like we're going through the 12 steps in reverse.   ;D
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)