Author Topic: Gulf firm is first international port operator to be certified for security by U  (Read 332 times)

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Monday, June 23, 2008

Gulf firm is first international port operator to be certified for security by U.S.

ABU DHABI — A leading Gulf firm in the United Arab Emirates whose plans to operate six U.S. ports was last year rebuffed by Congress, has been certified as a partner in a U.S. port security program.

The state-owned Dubai Ports World has been certified as a partner in the Customs-Trade Partnership against Terrorism. DP World underwent a successful audit that determined the company met international ISO 28000 security standards required by C-TPAT.
In 2007, DP abandoned plans to purchase a British company that operated six major ports in the United States, Middle East Newsline reported. Congress was opposed to a state-owned UAE company having direct access to U.S. ports.

Executives said DP World has become the only international port operator certified by the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol. They said the certification would ensure improved standards throughout the company's 44 terminals.

"We are proud to be part of the C-TPAT initiative and to have achieved certification for all our terminals," DP World chief executive officer Mohammed Sharaf said.

"It is recognition once again of our commitment to maintaining and managing high levels of security standards, procedures and processes at our terminals, which in turn contributes to international efforts to secure the global supply chain. We regard security as a baseline service for our customers."

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
This is what Dee is talking about. Didn't we vote against this port deal a year ago? So I guess they brought it in the back door on a Saturday so we wouldn't notice.

Offline beemanbeme

It's a conspiracy.  No doubt about it.

It's gonna be nothing like shortly after 9/11 when I went thru the Dullas airport at our NATION'S CAPITAL and was shook down by a @#!!*!! Federal Employee TSA agent that couldn't even speak english who took a pen knife 2.5" long from me and a set of cuticle scissors from my wife with a blade approx 1/8" long. 

The !!@#!!*# jerk of a non-english TSA agent fit the profile much closer than I.  My age and the fact that I carried airline credentials which although they didn't give me safe conduct they should have let him know I was only a slight risk of being a terrorist only pressed him harder to be a rectum.  I guess he was mad because I told him I couldn't understand him and asked him to repeat himself. In addition to not being able to speak english, he would look at the floor and mumble and slur his words.

I was in our Nation's Capital -- "'cept for the killin's, it ain't no bad town".-- to attend a conference on --ta da-- airport security. :D