Author Topic: 72 caliber Calelas Kodiak Double  (Read 991 times)

Offline cjensen

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
72 caliber Calelas Kodiak Double
« on: June 23, 2008, 01:55:07 PM »
I just got one of these and would like to warn anyone thinking about buying this rifle. DO NOT BUY CABELAS BALLS! They are absolute junk. They are not even close to round .713-.723 is an average spread in one ball. Return shipping cost prevented me from returning them. They are not even close to pure lead as indicated by the need to hammer them into the barrel and the indication of my lead tester. They test harder than the alloy I use for my BPCR. Cabelas did not post my review and they still say "Be the first to review". I'll bet many others have submitted a complaint on these. Hard to tell how the rifle will shoot when I have had to hammer the balls in with a .010 patch. I think someone dryfired alot on the nipples on my rifle as one refuses to fire. I bought some new nipples.
I will report back when I test my Lyman balls.
My goal in life is to have a carbon footprint the size of Al Gore's. I can be living the good life and know I am not causing global warming. Make Al your carbon standard.

Offline Semisane

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 72 caliber Calelas Kodiak Double
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 05:57:32 PM »
That Cabalas did not allow your review to post REALLY bothers me.   I looked at their web site and every one of the 17 reviews of their balls was five stars.  Could it be that this company is not being honest with the consumer?  ???  When I looked at the selection for balls I found .69 and .75 calibers - but nothing for .72.  I wonder if they discontinued them and deleted your review for that reason.  I would e-mail their customer service (or president) and ask some questions.
CLICK ON ME: .
Link to... highchairstands@cox.net

Offline cjensen

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 08:03:58 AM »
They list the 72 caliber balls separately under #  IJ-213731 They must be a differant supplier. If I was Pedersoli I would be real upset these balls were being sold to someone buying my rifle.
My goal in life is to have a carbon footprint the size of Al Gore's. I can be living the good life and know I am not causing global warming. Make Al your carbon standard.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 08:27:33 AM »
Have you called Cabelas with your complaint?

Cabelas Customer Relations #1-800-237-4444

Everytime I had a problem with their products which is not very often, but they always support me 100%

yooper77

Offline cjensen

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 08:39:28 AM »
Have you called Cabelas with your complaint?

Cabelas Customer Relations #1-800-237-4444

Everytime I had a problem with their products which is not very often, but they always support me 100%

yooper77

I have no problem with Cabelas taking things back. The cost to ship them back makes it not worthwhile. I just don't want someone else to buy this rifle and their balls and think everything will be great.

Offline yooper77

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 10:07:14 AM »
I understand, so have Cabelas pay you back for the return shipping.

I always refuse to be the victim and stuck with useless products when the merchandise doesn't work as advertised.

yooper77

Offline cjensen

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 02:44:12 PM »
Yipee for you Yooper. I am not spending half a day for $16.95, calling, complaining, running to the post office, I got a life to live.

I just got back from the range. 100 grains of GOEX 2F express and my new Lyman cast balls and this rifle is grouping right barrel about 3" high centered left to right, left barrel about 6" high centered left to right. I was trying a musket nipple on the left barrel and a hot shot #11 nipple on the right as the original nipples refused to ignite the powder 3 out of 4 times. Both nipples worked when the cap went off but the musket cap took an extra stike a couple times to get it to fire (hammer angle is not right). The musket cap had much more uhmfp (-1 sp) and am hoping that accounts for the additional height, but I'm happy with what it is shooting right now. I will need a higher front sight to bring the group down.

Offline yooper77

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 03:25:21 AM »
Ok, I guess there really isn’t a problem then.

I am glad you are getting good results with your Lyman balls.

yooper77

Offline One Eye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 10:51:14 AM »
Yipee for you Yooper. I am not spending half a day for $16.95, calling, complaining, running to the post office, I got a life to live.

I just got back from the range. 100 grains of GOEX 2F express and my new Lyman cast balls and this rifle is grouping right barrel about 3" high centered left to right, left barrel about 6" high centered left to right. I was trying a musket nipple on the left barrel and a hot shot #11 nipple on the right as the original nipples refused to ignite the powder 3 out of 4 times. Both nipples worked when the cap went off but the musket cap took an extra stike a couple times to get it to fire (hammer angle is not right). The musket cap had much more uhmfp (-1 sp) and am hoping that accounts for the additional height, but I'm happy with what it is shooting right now. I will need a higher front sight to bring the group down.
With all due respect, you will keep getting this kind of service if you do not speak up.  I do not care if it is $1.00 or $1,000.  Treat me wrong and you will hear from me and I will tell everyone I know.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the gun though, as I have been looking at one myself.
Dan
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." ~ Thomas Jefferson