Author Topic: Best Cross Country Carry Choice(Shotgun)?????????  (Read 1199 times)

Offline bayrunner

• Trade Count: (0)
Best Cross Country Carry Choice(Shotgun)?????????
« on: July 23, 2003, 08:38:50 PM »
Hey Guys____ I'm not guit sure if this is the appropiate forum for this guestion,anyway here goes, how do you guys(legally) prepare for carrying in a vehicle,either cross town,or cross country,do you  take any precautions(like getting CCW)lockboxes etc.  and would it be effective legally, if for example another state wouldn"t honor(your states CCW) ,also if you were going cross country(in motor home)and for whatever reason didn't want to carry a handgun,would a shotgun be a good alternative,and what would be your first choice,for simplicity ,political correctness,and effectiveness?___Replys greatly appreciated._____THANKS BAYRUNNER

Offline Savage

Best Cross Country Carry Choice(Shotgun)???
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2003, 03:11:23 PM »
Bayrunner,
The is only one way to stay on sound legal footing when transporting any firearm cross country. After your route is finalized, you will need to learn the laws involved in transporting firearms through each state. The transport requirements may vary a lot from state to state. A little preperation can save you a lot of trouble.
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Slug-Gunner

Interstate Weapons Carry
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2003, 06:21:26 PM »
The following web site has the gun and CCW laws for all states.
www.packing.org

It also has a list of which states have reciprocal agreements for honoring another states CCW permit. If you select the states you want info on and then go to the right hand column inset boxes, they give a quick summary of CCW requirements for that state and a "Gun Friendly Travel" column. If it states "NO", then I suggest reading the laws for that state to be sure you are in compliance with them when traveling. I'm sure that many people travel thru many states each year without a problem, but get stopped in the wrong state by an "unfriendly officer" and your trip might be ruined by a DETOUR TO JAIL and your weapons being confiscated.
This is even more true if you are traveling with your family.

When all else fails make sure you are in compliance with the U.S. Code that basically states:

You may safely carry firearms through a state from a state where you can legally possess it to another state where you can legally possess it. The firearm needs to be unloaded and separated from the ammunition and locked in a separate compartment (like the trunk and not the glove box or center console) that is not accessible by the driver or passengers. If such a compartment is not available (like a station wagon or van) then the weapon and ammunition must be contained in SEPARATE LOCKED CONTAINERS.

:D  :eek:  :oops:
HUNT SAFELY - THINK AT ALL TIMES!

Offline 1GLOCK

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2003, 08:28:58 AM »
Why bother traveling with it if you cant get to it??? I hardly think that someone intending to do you harm will take a time out so you can unlock your gun then your ammunition then load up to level the playing field. I personally would rather take my chances with the police than the bad guys, besides, if you are a legal owner of the firearm, have a permit to carry that firearm in your home state and are traveling with children and have NO INTENT to commit a crime then they will look quite foolish in trying to convict you of anything. Whatever you do, if your carrying with no intent other than self or family protection and get caught make them give you a trial by jury, DO NOT PLEA BARGAIN, demand a trial by jury. How do you think theyll look when they bring you in front of a jury when you legally own the firearm and are licenced in another state and have no criminal history and no intent to commit a crime and are traveling with your family?? The prosecution i think would have a real hard time getting a conviction on ya i think. By the way, if you do get caught and plead guilty you will probaly loose your right to own firearms regardless of what they say, that is a weapons violation and a felony!

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2003, 12:06:13 PM »
1GLOCK,
All you say is true. Sadly, you don't have to be convicted of a crime to lose. If you are even charged, the legal costs of a viable defense and the travel involved will bankrupt the average person. It would be a hollow victory indeed to gain an aquital and lose everything you own. The anti-gunners know this and use it.  The simple act of bringing charges, with no hope of successful prosecution is a victory for these villans!
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline Mainspring

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2003, 07:24:24 AM »
Unfortunately in this instance, Savage is right on the mark.  You really have to think about whether or not it's worth it.  Consider the real threat, on both sides of the issue, and which would be easier to defend yourself and your family against given the threat level.  

The problem is that many of the places where you will most likely encounter a (criminal) bad guy are the same places where you will mostl likely encounter a (police/prosecutor) bad guy ("bad guy" being a relative term, of course).  Who's the bigger fool...the honest guy protecting his family who tries to carry/transport illegally in places like NYC, Boston, DC, or Trenton...or the guy who doesn't?  

The adage "It's better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6" only goes so far in the real world.

It may well be a good plan to become comfortable with your personal weapons (hands, feet, etc.), as well as OC/CS, legal length pocket knives, etc...and be prepared to BF Goodrich someone if necessary, rather than risk the legal wrath of being in possession of the most reliable self defense tool (guns) in draconian back-assward gun control hot LZs like NJ, NY, MA, et al.

Just MHO.
The key to winning a gun fight is to take your time...quickly

If you continue to think as you've always thought, you'll continue to get what you've always got...Is it enough?

Offline Savage

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2003, 07:35:32 AM »
Mainspring,

Amen & Amen!
Stay Safe,
Savage

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2003, 07:14:43 PM »
To answer your question about a motorhome, we know a couple of folks with them (kinda outta my price range) and for protection they carry coachguns. Yep, the old "sawed-off" shotgun. Easy to manuver in tight quarters, and as long as the barrel is of legal length, law enforcement officers won't give you as much trouble over a shotgun as they will a handgun in many places. (At least that's THEIR rational.) I guess an 870 turkey gun would be OK, too. You could always claim it was your hunting piece.
 :cb2:
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."