Author Topic: Another Pyro Converted Pix Included  (Read 532 times)

Offline Dross Drunk

• Trade Count: (0)
Another Pyro Converted Pix Included
« on: June 28, 2008, 10:16:31 AM »
 Hey again !!

As the 4th quickly approaches I know everyone is probably a buzz with activity, I know I am....

I mentioned when I first joined Graybeards Black Powder Mortar and Cannon Forums, That I had been a pyrotech for years,and the restrictions placed on many of the items would have pyro and rocket enthusiasts looking for a fix.

It didn't take much convincing for my Friend, after seeing the pix of my mortar/Thundermug, and moreover hearing it he was as sold as I was on this being an exciting as well as educational hobby,and after all anything that ends with a bang,can't be all bad....

So I asked my friend if it would be alright for me to take a few pictures of the finished piece I did for him for the holidays, it is still just a simple design of an early 1800's powder tester or Thundermug without the handle, but an interesting tweak on the outside finish, we'll call it transitional art ..lol.... used to make the change from fireworks to cannons for celebrating the 4th, New Years, and about any other day we can get away with in our area.

This one was a bit trickier than mine as it needed to be painted white prior to the art transfer was added to allow for the bright colors, and then layered in black, and several coats of clear....

Being in the South....  This one stakes it's claim in flaming letters on the water under a nightfilled sky of fireworks, and the mount bears 16 stars to reflect TN being the 16th state entered into the US.

"Southern Rock "

I hope you like the pix, I know I have flown somehwat in the face of the traditionalists,but polished brass in this diameter is quite pricey.... this one has the same dimensions as the earlier thundermug I posted pix of.....

Everybody have a Safe and Happy 4th of July..............Let Freedom Ring.....................
Your efforts towards 100% safety are nearly impossible,and to assume you have achieved it, is the height of folly........

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
Re: Another Pyro Converted Pix Included
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 01:06:56 PM »
oooooohhh thats a nice one for sure .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Dross Drunk

Re: Another Pyro Converted Pix Included
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 07:44:44 PM »

Sorry for the absence of  detail  I am assuming too much again..............(like your having seen my other posts)

This mortar is approx 7 1/2 inches tall, and 4.8 inches in diameter with a full bore size of 1.6 inches, approx. 5 inches deep,and made of 4140

Side note : not to worry... the rag shown protruding from the top is lightly coated with oil for storage, not a rag for wadding.

This is actually a side to this adventure I hadn't expected, when transitioning from fireworks to cannons & mortars, I thought I would have to give up a large part of the artistic side I felt I used in painting the sky with color, light,and noise, but it seems I have found a short term replacement for that in mortar paint jobs,and carriage/sled/mount building....lol

Although these first few Mugs/ Mortars allowed me to finish a couple of pieces in time for the holiday celebrations, they are not at all the more traditional types of cannons or mortars that I am most interested in building in the future, I was just anxious to get a feel for the process.
                               plenty of Flaming pix soon to come............from everyone I hope................

again have a Safe and Happy 4th.....................
Your efforts towards 100% safety are nearly impossible,and to assume you have achieved it, is the height of folly........