Author Topic: do you lub your p3at  (Read 1405 times)

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
do you lub your p3at
« on: June 28, 2008, 04:40:52 PM »
  i always did and yesterday the thing would only work with my carry ld..
  it was 90+ and humid.. the winchester flatnosed that i practice with just would not work..i spray cleaned all lubricant. and then any of my ammunition was good in it..
 now to wait until another hot day and try it again.. i cooled the gun with the alcohol spray...so im not sure whether getting rid of lub[lite grease] on slide and friction points
  of action,was what fixed it or just cooling the gun did the trick.. if body temp messes my gun up ,,it just not gonna be satisfactory.. if any one has dealt with this thing or perhaps knows that the gun shouldn t be lubed at all ..id appreciate the input..
  i don t like surprises when it comes to defence carry.. :) thanks slim[confused]

Offline mattmillerrx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: do you lub your p3at
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 05:12:24 PM »
You might give dry lube a try.  I am considering switching to it solely.  From what I have learned about I like it. It does not collect dirt and powder residue like regular lubes due.  It is as not temp. sensitive.  You might try a lighter lube than grease like rem oil, what I am using now.  They also make one called rem drylube I think, which is what I am thinking of going too.

Offline slim rem 7

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 06:45:10 PM »
 the dry lube sounds like what this gun might like.. be worth a try anyway.. to be honest the way its shooting now it will get the job done.. dependability is the name of the game.. i ll continue to work on ways to make the gun more potent ,,but no bodies gonna be a very effective threat after hes taken a rd or two in the vitals from this little hornet..also ive practiced so much in close that id not hesitate to make a head shot.
  thats what i always planned when i was using the 22 auto ..i know there will be nay sayers on that but ive killed a many an animal . i know what it can take to stop them completely..heck many don t think the 9 mil is big enough ,,but my sig 225 with the 147 grn protection rds i was using would have sealed the deal with any man. unless he beat me to it.. no cure for being slower than the lowlife..thanks for the advice.slim

Offline DCRthe3rd

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 08:50:47 AM »
what were your rds that were not working doing?
I lube mine with shooters choice grease , and I pocket carry in a holster , not a single problem ever , and considering your carry loads worked , I am doubtful it was a body temp and or lube problem

Offline slim rem 7

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 07:55:38 PM »
 they wern t ejecting the empty case.. don t know how grease caused this but don t care either as ive learned my lesson..in any case ,,with no lub i got 30 rapid fire rds before the gun got hot enough to have any problem.. so i can go without or with an light spray of g 96  and shes good.. dont know if it would give trouble at 30 rds with the g 96 on it but i doubt it.. thats way more than is expected of it anyway .. besides my method is 3 shots and hold up unless its obvious i have to continue slinging lead..
 this assumes ive made hits and the subject is down or worse..and he will be..
 mans gotta gettim a plan ,practice it a lot ..then believe in it.. i do.. thanks for the input..

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 04:14:54 AM »
It's a sure bet that body temp. is not causing any problems! The air temperature frequently exceeds normal body temp in my AO. I have left my P3AT lying on the tailgate of the truck for an hour or better at the range with temps around the century mark. With the pistol too hot to hold, it still worked perfectly. I have found that a very light lube in very small ammounts works best with my pistols. I too have been thinking about using a dry lube on them. I have some called "Brownells Action Magic" that I'm going to use next time I clean the kel tecs. Might even use it on my other carry guns if it works out. I think maybe the synthetic grease/oil that I am currently using will still be best for my range guns, but the dry lube should keep the pocket guns cleaner. I'll post the resuts, good or bad.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,