Author Topic: IDEAS ON GOOD DEFENSE PISTOL ?  (Read 1633 times)

Offline JonnyC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
IDEAS ON GOOD DEFENSE PISTOL ?
« on: June 29, 2008, 02:57:16 AM »
I'm looking for a good CCW semi-auto for around $350. Something in either a .40 or .45 caliber. Any ideas ?
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
Re: IDEAS ON GOOD DEFENSE PISTOL ?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 04:45:17 AM »
Well, in the price range you've got the PT-140 and 145 from Taurus.  I've heard of some people having problems with them, and then I've heard other people who swear by them, sounds like spotty quality control at the factory.  I've got a PT-111 (9mm) and I trust it enough to carry it. 

You may be fine with the Taurus or you may want to pinch a few more pennies and go for a Springfield or a Glock.  I hear CZ makes a very fine pistol, and if the quality of their rifles is any indicator, I think it's worth a try.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 06:10:36 AM »
Used market is where I would look. A j frame Smith would be close but is a revolver, not a thing wrong with a Smith in your pocket. If carry and cost are a concern be sure of the availability of holsters that hold the weapon securely. I really don't like the one size fits most nylon type as they seem to "floppy". You'll probably make your search easier by including 9mm, P6 Sigs are everywhere in your price range, high quality ammo makes them the equal of ay self defense round. Keep your eyes open and you can find a Glock in your budget.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline phalanx

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 06:15:33 AM »
If that were my price range i would forget all of that , and find a CZ 52 in good condition.
The ammo is cheap , and the Wolf HP is deadly . The guns are well made and all milled steel .
If you look around like i did you will find a good one. Mine must have been a Police pistol ,the holster was black ,and the gun was a deep blue job in great shape.
Grips were made of walnut , and it had adjustable rear sights.
For $280.00 it was worth every dime ,and it has never FTF.
In this time i Command ,That you take the Secular to Jerusalem .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline JonnyC

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 09:38:44 AM »
Thanks for the info. I asked for a semi because I already have a J frame in a 38 special. With all the drugged up people, I would like something with more punch.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Offline phalanx

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 10:03:39 AM »
The CZ 52 in the 762 x 25 is one really hot round , Its close to a 30 Mouser . Some people say it is so hot it only punches a hole instead of taking down an Attacker.
Our guys who got shot by it in Viet Nam say two different reports ,either it didn't take me out but hurt like hell ,or it shattered a bone so badly it had to be replaced with a proteases. The true story on its use in combat is in WW2 against the Nazis in Pistols and the PSSH ,SMG . There it was very effective , and was 100 times better than the 9mm.  The new Wolf hollow points allow this round to act more like a 357 , in the 92 gr JHP rounds the effect is respected , approaching a 357 ,but they are loaded down because the Caliber could be used in some guns that are old and war models not built real well.
Some guys are reloading 30cal carbine bullets in hot loads even exceeding a factory 357 ,and using them in the 52 .
American manufactures of the 1911 ,and Glock are due to release pistols in this round some time soon. Its a safe bet that this round and the .40SW have all but pushed the 9mm into a CCW class on a smaller frame pistol.
I would still grab a 45ACP if i needed something ,but i would grab a pistol in this caliber before i would a 9mm.
In this time i Command ,That you take the Secular to Jerusalem .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III

Offline rem700-3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 03:16:58 PM »
Taurus 5 shot .357 hammerless revolver. The ultimate punch, will not jam and light wieght

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 04:53:48 PM »
SP101 in 357. Wheel guns seldom act up. and with practice can be reloaded rather quickly.  best advice pick a gun you like  pick one method of carry and location of holster and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. and you must be willing to use it  if your not willing  leave it home
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline mas19

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 09:10:49 PM »
LCP in 380. I know people that carry them in there pocket.

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 11:13:37 PM »
I just got the LCP (380 auto) for $299.  I bought a cz 75 (9 mm) back in the winter for 400 nib but the newer cz 75 b sells for around the same.  You might look at the Rami witch is a smaller version but do not know what they sell for.  I do carry the full size 75 some but it is hard to conceal and pretty heavy.  I have not had the LCP long enough yet.  I am testing am right now for it, I have carried it some mostly to break in holsters for it and try drawing from various holsters and carry postions and you barely know it is there.  I would suggest checking out a gun show there should be a few more good options in your price range.  I do not know of anything in .40 or .45 selling for that price range.  The Taurus may be your only bet for a new gun.  Buying a taurus is risky business, I would and have passed on them, there are too many bad ones out there. 

Offline SAWgunner

• Contributor
    • http://www.ranger.org/
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 10:33:38 PM »
I bought a Police Trade in Glock 22 in .40 S & W for around $350 a few years ago.  I bet you can still find them for around that.
Nosce Hostem
"Birds of Prey" 743rd MI BN
Proud Freemason-Chugwater Lodge No. 23

Offline JonnyC

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 05:02:51 AM »
SAW- good idea- Was it from a local dealer?

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 04:48:55 PM »
See if a local dealer has a CDNN Catalog.  They have used (factory refurbs) Sigs and Glocks, some in the low $300. range.  You can't go wrong with a Sig...................even the P-5, like new, for $329, a used Beretta 92F $289., or a Glock (rebuilt) model 22 (.45) $330.  Model 23 (9mm) $349.  or the model 22 in >40 for $359.Point is, there are lots of quality USED/Factory Rebuilt pistols out there for a very reasonable price.

If you can't find a dealer with a catalog, then call CDNN at 1-800-588-9500 (or 325-595-4867 and ask to speak to Marshall.  He will give you information on the guns.  You can give him a credit card number and have the gun shipped (shipping will run about $16-18.) to your FFL holder who will normally charge you a small fee ($20.) to transfer the gun to you.  Tell Marshall rockbilly told you to call.

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 05:06:32 PM »
the current s.o.g. flyer has s&w 4006 in 40 for 299.00 most dealers will order you one at that price plus shipping if you prepay for it. the cz52 is a real good pistol but overpenetration is a real problem for them and anyone down range from your target. the rock island pistols are very good guns in your price range. The cz 82 in 9mm makarov is selling for 200 at s.o.g. very nice weapons and very accurate. ammo is 1mm shorter than standard 9mm but 10 thou. bigger dia. As stated by rockbilly you can pay with a c.c. and have ti shipped to a ffl you have made arraignments with.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline mas19

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 05:24:23 PM »
See if a local dealer has a CDNN Catalog.  They have used (factory refurbs) Sigs and Glocks, some in the low $300. range.  You can't go wrong with a Sig...................even the P-5, like new, for $329, a used Beretta 92F $289., or a Glock (rebuilt) model 22 (.45) $330.  Model 23 (9mm) $349.  or the model 22 in >40 for $359.Point is, there are lots of quality USED/Factory Rebuilt pistols out there for a very reasonable price.

If you can't find a dealer with a catalog, then call CDNN at 1-800-588-9500 (or 325-595-4867 and ask to speak to Marshall.  He will give you information on the guns.  You can give him a credit card number and have the gun shipped (shipping will run about $16-18.) to your FFL holder who will normally charge you a small fee ($20.) to transfer the gun to you.  Tell Marshall rockbilly told you to call.

A Glock 22 is a 40S&W
A Glock 23 is a 40S&W

A full size .45acp Glock would be a 21.
A Compact 9mm Glock would be a 19.

Just wanted to post some errors so nobody gets confused.

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 04:41:44 PM »
the Armscorp 45/1911 can be had for about $350. take a look.

Blessed Be

SharonAnne
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 05:00:50 PM »
I really like my Taurus Mod.441 in.44 SPL. Mine has adjustable sights and fits in holsters made for Colt agents, so I get to choose some nice concealment holsters.
No safety to fumble with, and with a hot hollow point it will take the fight out of most any doper.
I got mine nearly unfired for $ 275. Only five rounds, but my handgun instructor has a comment I like; " If your fight isn't over in two or three rounds, you will probably loose the fight anyway".
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"   George Orwell
Life member NRA, Life member TSRA
Crabby conservative old fart

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2008, 05:25:01 PM »
 I think we are forgetting to point this man in the direction of the Kahr CW (concealed weapon) series pistols ...Slim single stack and in my local shop goes for under $400 new in 9 ,40 and 45acp..
When i get off my butt and get my conceal here in my state that will be my first gun on my CCW .... In Florida where i had mine in years past my heavy dress gun was the Glock 36 single stack 45 acp and light clothing days i chose the Charter arms bull dog 44 spcl ..

There are alot of good choices out there , and used is always an option .. I would just prefer myself to know the gun front to back from new status ... It is your gun for the " day you hope will never come" make sure your choice isnt a comprimise ..

Hope this helps ,

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline Nasty Jack

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2008, 05:47:36 PM »
CZ 52 for all sorts of design reasons would not be on my list of picks for CCW. The one I own has funky mags which may or may not feed. The bullet is too small for self defense -- both diameter and weight, altough its fps is impressive.

J Frame 38 Spl has all the poop  you need for defense. Don't be swayed by those who claim it's "not enough gun." 38 +P load in 158 gr. and you've got a show stopper.

I have a passel of 45 ACP, 357, guns. (I don't care for 40 Smith, but it's a personal issue, not ballistic.) What I find is that they're too large to carry most days. I end up mostly with a J Frame Smith in 357 mag or a 9mm Kahr MK9.

-- But then there's an full size XD w/ laser in the car, along with a shotgun.