Author Topic: Which binoculars ?  (Read 981 times)

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
Which binoculars ?
« on: July 24, 2003, 02:22:14 PM »
My son is looking at Nikon 8x40 binoculars. They are on sale at a good price. I wonder how they really compare with Bushnell Ledgend 8x42 or B&L 7x42 binoculars? The B&L and Bushnell binoculars are phase coated. The Nikons are not (note 8x40mm). My son says the birders like the Nikons but for deer hunting I like the Rain Guard. I wonder if what birders like in optics is what we need for deer and other large animal hunting? Any info will be most appreciated. Dave
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Which binoculars ?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2003, 04:00:55 AM »
Just my opinion, but I believe that Birders have different qualities they like in a pair of binoculars than deer hunters.  The biggest is the amount of light gathering ability a pair of binoculars have.  Birders typically do there bird watching during the day when light is not a factor, where deer hunters need that added light tranmission during early morning and late evening when the deer are typically move.  I think that is why Bird Watchers that test different brands have different ideas what they like and that is why they don't recommend the same sizes and brands that deer hunting normally use.  This is just my 2 cent!  A pair that I really like are the new Leupold WR Pinnacle's.  This have some great clarity and color transmission.  The colors are very vivid when looking through them.  Very easy to distigue between the different browns and greens.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Dave in WV

Which binoculars ?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2003, 04:10:02 AM »
Thanks Jon, that's what I suspected. Can you tell me about the B&L 8x42 Discoverer poro prism binoculars you stock? Are they as good as the roof prism design? BTW, what's wrong with the picture on you web site with the 8x42 poro Discoverers? LOL Dave
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Which binoculars ?
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2003, 08:17:35 AM »
Dave,

Picture is all fixed.  Sometimes the coding is putting in wrong or mixed up.  I am going to have to get after that d**m webmaster of ours.  Wait that is me, never mind, he is doing a great job.   :o   As for the porro prisms, a lot has to do with personal preference between the porro and roof prism type binoculars.  I personally like to roof prisms, because of being more compact.  But the trade off is that you lose some of that 3-D image, which is what the porro's give you.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Dave in WV

Which binoculars ?
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2003, 09:10:08 AM »
Thanks Jon. I thought I'd mention the picture before someone ordered them and got a surprise and then you have to deal with that mess. The 3-D image difference is something I hadn't given much thought aboout. Good point, thanks. Dave
--Albert Einstein

Offline Losthwy

Which binoculars ?
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2003, 07:09:45 PM »
OutdoorLife and Field and Sream have reviews of optics in their current issues. Personally I like the F&S reviews.

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Which binoculars ?
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2003, 03:31:36 PM »
:D I've used Nikon 10X50 binoculars for several years and they have worked well. In my opinion they are quality equipment. I haven't used the Bushnells or B&Ls. I use mine mostly out west and haven't had a problem with moisture.

Offline Naphtali

• Contributor
Which binoculars ?
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2003, 08:58:15 AM »
Hi Dave:

There is strong support for bigger objective lensed binoculars in this discussion. I recently moved from Washington state. East of the Cascades Mountains ranges and terrain are such that you might think a hunter would need high magnification and improved light gathering.

I didn't find this to be correct. I owned Zeiss 10 x 56s and EDF 7 x 40s, Leitz Trinovid 10 x 40Bs among many. In all cases, these are excellent machines. They were also large, heavy, cumbersome. I found them unpleasant -- uncomfortable -- to use elk hunting.

I found that lightness and compactness -- not to a ridiculous extent -- made a binocular usable. I also find that a mil scale (rangefinder) is useful if you practice with it. I'm a fan of simplicity -- mil scale rather than laser; individual focusing rather than central.

I disposed of all binoculars except two Zeiss 8 x 30 B/GA IF Olive. They are not too small, more durable than any binocular I've used.

Something I've mentioned in similar threads is that German and Austrian optical glass seems to be more abrasion resistant than any other. Yeah, I know these brands are more expensive, but you buy a binocular for life. To get one repaired means to send it to Japan, or Germany, or Austria for warranty service.

A binocular is two telescopes mounted to work together. Central focusing does not directly move lenses. Gear assemblies are between you and your lenses. And these assemblies must be sealed. Traditionally, most modern armies have used IF focusing. I don't think it's for ease of use.

For the most part, I'm nit-picking. Every binocular identified in this thread is acceptable. All that I suggest you consider is that some binoculars remain acceptable longer.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Dave in WV

Which binoculars ?
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2003, 12:44:06 PM »
Naphtali, I agree 100% the $700 + glass will outlast less expensive models under the same conditions. You get what you pay for. If you move a lot the smaller lighter binoculars will be a plus. Some people only use their binoulars one or two weeks a year and their budget won't allow $650+ binoculars. The reason for this post is a moot point since a friend is going to give my son a set of binoculars his dad left him.  Is the Zeiss model you have no longer produced? I tried to look them up and didn't see them listed.  BTW, did you get the strap problem for you binoculars fixed? Dave
--Albert Einstein

Offline Naphtali

• Contributor
Which binoculars ?
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2003, 08:55:44 AM »
Dave:

The short answer to Zeiss' 8x30 B/GA IF Olive production is: still made.

But, As of January 2002, Zeiss USA no longer catalogs them. The binocular is made only for European market. But wait, there's more!

If you really want this binocular, I can furnish the names and extensions from Zeiss USA who can get what you want. I cannot emphasize strongly enough how useless are customer support staff in Wetzlar. The phrase "worthless as tits on a boar hog" fits.
Re: the strap. The solution was simple. Thanks for asking. Put lens covers together as distinct assembly. Fasten this through a loop (Sew one on, or use button hole.) Binocular uses original strap, naked. Two-step process to remove or install lens covers. Very effective and inexpensive. Elastic strap that secures lens covers also maintains them in correct alignment.

It took reorienting thinking to realize the three pieces need not be one assembly.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Dave in WV

Which binoculars ?
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2003, 12:26:53 PM »
Thanks for the offer on the information but I'll have to pass. Money is a little tight now. I'm glad you got your binocular strap set up to your liking. Dave
--Albert Einstein

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
Which binoculars ?
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2003, 11:28:37 AM »
You might want to take a look at the Pentax line too. They are rated right up there with some of the more expensive brands. The new models have some waterproof models too.
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.