Author Topic: Drop in synthetic stock for pre-64 model 70???  (Read 2138 times)

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
Drop in synthetic stock for pre-64 model 70???
« on: July 01, 2008, 10:36:25 AM »
Hey guys,

I've been thinking about getting a pre-64 model 70 in a short action, featherweight. I am really tough on rifle stocks when I hunt, though, and would not want to ruin the wood stock.  My thought would be to buy a drop-in, pillar bedded, sythentic, for the rifle.

But, and I really don't get this, none of the drop-ins listed in Cabellas are for the pre-64.  They all say post-64 Win 70.  What gives?  Does anyone make one for the pre-64?   HS Precision? McMillan? Bell & Carlson?  (I not interested in something like a ram line.)

Thanks for all info.

Mannyrock

Offline Idaho Ron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Drop in synthetic stock for pre-64 model 70???
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 12:50:30 PM »
I have a B&C on my Pre 64 270. I like it a lot but I did a lot of work on it. I glass bedded the recoil lug, and floated the barrel. It shoots sub .750" 5 shot groups at 100 yards. It is a great stock.  Ron

Offline bcp

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 05:04:12 PM »
There are no short action pre-64's.  The short cartridges use the same length action as the long.

I think MPI and High Tech Specialties make pre-64 stocks, too.

With a little work, a post 64 long action stock will fit.  I once bought a pre-64 in a Win post-64 fiberglass stock. Nothing was visible to show it was the wrong stock, but it had been glass bedded and repainted.  I dug the bedding out to rebed it and reinstall it on a post 64 and there did not appear to be much that had been done to the stock.  Without 2 to compare I can't say exactly what modifications were needed

Bruce

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 02:56:46 PM »
BCP,

Oops. you are totally right.  There were no short action pre-64s. I keep forgetting basic stuff when I get tired.

Thanks for giving me the name of the two companies you believe make drop in stocks. I will check them out.

I am amazed that HS Precision, Bell & Carlson, etc. don't make them.  I mean, weren't about a million pre-64s made?  And aren't their stocks wearing out about now?

Trying to wrangle a post 74 stock to fit a pre 64 is exactly what I want to avoid.  I am sick of fooling with stuff like this.

Thanks again,

Mannyrock

Offline Idaho Ron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 01:49:41 PM »
You must not have read my post I HAVE a B&C drop in for a pre 64. You are making this way too hard on your self. Look at this link it is for a B&C pre 64 winchester.  I got one and then floated the barrel and glass bedded it. I get sub 3/4" groups with my hand loads. Save your self a BIG problem and follow the link.  Ron
http://www.lockstock.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BEL5141