Author Topic: just got a White G series Whitetail  (Read 999 times)

Offline mountaineer

• Trade Count: (0)
just got a White G series Whitetail
« on: July 03, 2008, 06:08:21 AM »
With a Bell and Carlson black synthetic stock and #11 primer ignition, .504 barrel.   Found it used at a pawn shop, and was pleased to see that it was well taken care of and has a beautiful bore. The quality, workmanship, fit and finish appear to be top notch.   I haven't shot it yet, but can someone give some recommendations on sabot/slug combinations that shoot well in these, or maybe some lead conicals that would be accurate. Can I use Pyrodex RS in this or do I really need to use Pyrodex-P the finer granulation.  Reason I ask is that I have plenty of Pyrodex RS but no P.  I signed up for the DWB forum where I heard many White enthusiasts hang out, but haven't gotten authorized yet.   Thanks for any help. 

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: just got a White G series Whitetail
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 05:01:41 PM »
mountaineer,

First of all, welcome to Graybeards. You have a real nice rifle that will last a lifetime and then some. I have owned a G-Series .504 since the early/mid 90's. It would be easier to tell you what wont shoot out of a white .504. Seriously, about the only bullets that I don't care for out of the White, is the PowerBelt. They are made to fit in rifles with tight .500 bores and may not obturate fully into the rifling. The Whites generally like heavy bullets best in the 1-24 twist rifling. For conicals, anything all lead in the 400 to 500 grain, .503" to .504" diameter. Saboted bullets also shoot very well, the 435 grain White Shooting Star/Power Star shoot outstanding, but anything in the 250 to 300 grain arena can work with lighter powder charges.

Your Pyrodex RS will be fine, shot plenty of it in my White, although the Pyrodex P is a little quicker and aids in obturation. 777 FFg  or 777 FFFg would be my first choice for the substitutes. You trying to sign in at DWB's as mountaineer?
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline SURVEYOR

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 04:53:40 AM »
Welcome to the world of White! You're going to LOVE that Whitetail! Don't be put off about heave conicals. Doc White designed his White to shoot heavy bullets with very little recoil felt. Then too, to give hard to beat accuracy and killing power. My go to conical has been the 460 grain NoExcuses conicals, loading with 85 grains of 777 ffg with a card wad, and 2 wraps of white teflon tape around the base of the grease groves.

Show us some pictures!!!

SURVEYOR
I''m A Dirty White Boy and I''m Proud Of It!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 07:57:14 AM »
Thanks guys!  I'm going to try it out today with some 240 grain .452 Hornady XTPs with Hornady sabots. This combo measures out to about .505 so ought to fit well in the White.  I have some 295 grain Power Belts but maybe will save those for my CVA Kodiak.  Will try to post some pics.  Hey Busta, yes I am signed up at DWB as mountaineer.  Thanks

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 08:11:26 AM »
Yes, save the powerbelts for your kodiak. They measure .500" at the belt.

Offline SURVEYOR

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 02:48:05 PM »
Plastic!!! :P

Your White will shoot plastic with the best of them. You may need to play with powder weights. Start at 80 grains, and up your charge 5 grains at a time until you hit that sweet spot. Then you'll have to swab between shots like all plastic shooters do. I had some SST's shooting good at 110 grains of 777 ffg. But got tired of swabbing and pounding sabots down. Too much work when I can shoot 30 to 60 conicals with great accuracy without swabbing once. That's be why we are called DIRTY WHITE BOYS! ;D
I''m A Dirty White Boy and I''m Proud Of It!