Author Topic: Looking to get back into muzzleloading...  (Read 739 times)

Offline U.S. Soldier

• Trade Count: (0)
Looking to get back into muzzleloading...
« on: July 04, 2008, 12:10:26 AM »
So Im looking to get back into muzzleloading and was wandering what you guys thought about the blue ridge rifles? im want the percussion rifle, its got a 39 in barrel with a 1:48 twist... is that a bit fast for round ball shooting and slow for conicals? I also noticed that its got a "browned" barrel instead of a blued barrel, good, bad? Also thinking of getting it in a 54. is the 54. worth the extra trouble with ammo being harder to find and being more expensive than the fifty cal? It would just be used for general deer hunting, possibly something bigger if I ever get the chance... was also looking at a traditions kentucky rifle.... but one thing at a time lol thanks for any insight...

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
Re: Looking to get back into muzzleloading...
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 07:41:22 PM »
So Im looking to get back into muzzleloading and was wandering what you guys thought about the blue ridge rifles? im want the percussion rifle, its got a 39 in barrel with a 1:48 twist... is that a bit fast for round ball shooting and slow for conicals? I also noticed that its got a "browned" barrel instead of a blued barrel, good, bad? Also thinking of getting it in a 54. is the 54. worth the extra trouble with ammo being harder to find and being more expensive than the fifty cal? It would just be used for general deer hunting, possibly something bigger if I ever get the chance... was also looking at a traditions kentucky rifle.... but one thing at a time lol thanks for any insight...

I can't speak for the blue ridge rifles.... but the 1:48 twist is a compromise twist that will shoot conical or roundball pretty well.  If using roundball is mostly what you'll be shooting, something slower (1:66) will work better.  Really depends on what you're thinking of doing with it. 

As for the .54, I'd go for it if you're thinking that you want to shoot mostly roundball.  If you're going to be using mostly conicals, the .50 should be fine for just about anything you come across. 

Offline pab1

• Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 08:15:29 PM »
I think you would be happy with a Blue Ridge rifle. I believe the Blue Ridge rifle is made by Pedersoli (sold by Pedersoli as the Frontier rifle) for Cabelas. I would go with a .54 if I were you though. The .54 cal version has a 1 in 66" rate of twist (look for the * note) which is ideal for patched round balls (prb). Some people swear by 1 in 48" twist for prb, but I have always experienced better accuracy with slower twist barrels. If you plan to hunt with prb, the .54 will give you a heavier projectile and a little more oomph. The .54 is a great all around caliber which can be loaded light for small game or heavy for elk, bear moose, etc. The .54 cal should not cost very much more to shoot than a .50 cal. Nothing wrong with a browned barrel, IMO they look much nicer than most blued barrels. Let us know what you get and how you like it!
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. "
Thomas Paine

Offline U.S. Soldier

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 05:09:03 AM »
Thanks for the info, I went back and looked at them again and saw the little note, since I kinda was planning on using prb I was glad the twist was 1:66..... Soooooo Its on its way home and im sure I will post about how it shoots as soon as I get back from Iraq!! dam, one more reason to get home!   ::)

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 06:21:09 AM »
Keep us posted.  Godspeed and good luck.

Offline ratgunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 10:30:03 AM »
Ya done good. ;)
"Non Gratum Anus Rodentum"

Offline Fred Ford

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 03:02:04 AM »
Come on home soon!
Get yourself a Lyman Great Plains rifle in percussion, or preferrably flint, and you will have a rifle for life.
They make them in .50, and .54.
The .54 handles a liitle nicer ( balance!)
Flints you can buy through the mail, caps you cant!
There is no compromise rifleing, plain and simple! You're sighted in for roundball, or for heavier bullet.
Projectile impact point is very much different. Make your choice.
At 100 yds. deer, elk, varmit is going down hard.
Get a mould .535 for .54, or .495 for.50 and you will never have to kiss ass for bullets.
There is losts of pure lead around, you just have to look.
I have several custom guns, by choice, but they just don't beat the Lyman GPR.
All the best!
F.F.
Never Surrender, take a few with you!