Author Topic: Here's what I'm shooting today (7/4)  (Read 499 times)

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Here's what I'm shooting today (7/4)
« on: July 04, 2008, 07:58:57 AM »
Here's the two noise makers that I'm going to fire today.  Should get the attention of my close neighbors who are also shooters.

Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Re: Here's what I'm shooting today (7/4)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 08:58:39 PM »
 That cannon got MY attention. Wish I had one.

I saw one of those barrels on ebay recently, but it went for over $200 :'(
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 09:04:32 AM »
     Blaster,    That's a real nice looking mortar there.  Mike wants one really bad and likes yours as much as I do.  He remembers a friend who went to the Colorado School of Trades with us who had one back in' 76 or '77 and how much fun they had bombarding little creeks and ponds out on the prairie in the springtime. 

Could you tell us the dimensions of the chamber and what charge do you need for say, 100 yards?  200 yards?  Are your cans loaded with concrete or something else?

Boy are we ever curious today!  Concerning the 1/7th scale South Bend Replicas, Dahlgren Shell Gun; can you clean the vent completely when using the slap hammer/percussion cap nipple ignition device?  How do you do this and with what?

Being further south than we are, did you top 97 deg. on the 4th?

Thanks!!

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 03:12:17 PM »
Mike and Tracy, thanks for the inquiry and interest in my two little shooters.  Actually, I bought the mortar tube from Powder Keg, here on the GBO Forums.  The mortar base only was purchased from SBR.  The chamber is about 1 - 3/8 inch deep and about 7/8 inch wide. These measurements are secured by a rather primative way of measurement.  The drink cans (beer/soda) are filled with concrete.  To move these projectiles about 100 yards, it takes only 70 grains of cannon grade BP.  I have not ventured to move them any further down range - YET!
The little SBR Dahlgren gets the vent cleaned merely by sticking a garden hose down in the muzzle and pressure of the water does a pretty good cleaning of the vent.  Then I use some soapy water and brush the devil out of the bore and of course quite a bit will squirt out the vent.  The musket cap has been drilled out somewhat to accomodate a plain old pipe cleaner and then doused with a spray oil. 
Yes, we did top your 97 degree temp yesterday.  Our thermometer, on the sunny side of the house showed about 102.  Of course, as you know, the shady side showed around a mere 85 to 90 degrees.  Humidity was down real  L O W  so sitting in the screen house with a couple Miller Genuine Draft cans of brew made the temps almost enjoyable.  It's a tough job to have drink all that beer in order to accumulate some more mty beer cans to be converted into projectiles for that mortar. ;)
Enjoy the balance of the 4th of July weekend.

Blaster (Bob down in the far South end of Colorado)
Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)