Author Topic: should have waited until the fight was decided  (Read 1187 times)

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
should have waited until the fight was decided
« on: July 04, 2008, 11:00:20 PM »
 in the may issue of outdoor life is an piece about an hunter who watched two massive bucks fiight it out.. he puts three arrows in one and slips up to 10 ft ofum ..
 this way he got to see a fight of nature and also get another trophy buck..
  my opinion ,,any other predator lion ,bear would have done the same .. not me..
 ive been in the same type battles in life and i am able to relate too much to these bucks..these bucks were in a battle that would determine thier character for the rest of there life[yes i think animals have character,, its called gameness]..i would have respected that enough to let it play out.. then i might have taken the bigger of the two..but not until they were finished..if his head was on my wall ,id remember down deep that id done something that was not proud of ,no matter how much others ga ga d about it..i realize many will disaggree ,,so post it if u like..
  im thick skinned and probably won t even post back.. im just curious to see which way others think..slim

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: should have waited until the fight was decided
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 09:22:06 AM »
I guess I dunno what I'd have done to be honest. I've never seen a pair of bucks in a real fight only a bit of light sparing that never really became a fight. I'd probably have been tempted to watch and perhaps take some photos as I most of the time have a camera with me. I guess from my own personal perspective I'd see nothing wrong with ending it early by shooting the one of my choice but if I did elect to watch it until the end I'd think it then my duty to let the victor go and take the loser as if I were of the mindset to let it play out till the end it seems it would be my duty then to allow the one who won live to reproduce and to take out the lesser buck regardless of rack size.

Without having been there to be an actual participant tho I really do not know what I might have done.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 01:30:54 PM »
If my daily tags (plural) are not filled, I'll shoot 'em both.  Does not bother me in the least about "Natural Selection", "Character", or anything of like import. 

I am the Predator.  They are the Prey.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 01:47:40 PM »
I'll shoot 'em both.  I am the Predator.  They are the Prey.

Why you politically incorrect game hog!!!   :o
I love it!   ;D  The only bad thing is I didn't think of it...  :P
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 04:06:01 PM »
Now you're slaying me.  Keep it up!  LMAO

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 04:45:42 AM »
In Bama we can only take one buck per day so shooting both would not be legally do able. Now had it been two does fighting it would be legal to shoot both.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 06:10:43 AM »
I would have watched it until it's dramatic end while humming kumbiya. And then I would have returned to my biodegradable hut where my bowl of porridge was heating in my solar oven and ponder the significances of what I had seen.                                         Don'tchaknow ;)

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 07:21:38 AM »
from what i have seen, when the window for a shot opens,  you wait too long you might not get another chance.  in all likely hood the deer would have hot footed it out of there once one gave up, the loser running and the victor hot on his @$$ to ensure the victory; which would likely cost you the shot.   
   when i have a good shot, i dont wait any longer.   

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 09:40:25 AM »
I would have taking the runner-up.
Let the winner multiply
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 02:26:12 PM »
  he puts three arrows in one and slips up to 10 ft ofum ..

I lost any respect I had for the hunter right there.......that statement tells me he was taking poor shots in a desperate attempt to kill something. I'd have no problem takin' a buck during a fight as long as I had a clear shot to the vitals and it would stand still long enough for me to take the shot, otherwise it would be like any other time in the woods......pass up the poor low percentage shot and hope for another chance another day.

BTW.......years ago when I was just a pup I took a nice buck with my bow after following a  doe that left her fawns....I figured she was in heat and she was. 100 yards or so down the trail she met up with a nice basket 8 pointer and proceeded to let him have his way with her. After allowing me to creep within 30 yards as they flirted with each other, I drew back and as he squared up to mount her, he gave me the perfect shot and I took it. He took off like a bat outta 'ell and she stood there with a "what the heck did I do?" look until he fell over halfway across the field. Many have told me over the years I shouda let him finish also..........
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline smokepolehall

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 01:28:30 AM »
to each his or her own about which to shoot or when. i didn't like the 3 arrows part! either they were moving so much he couldn't a clean killing shot or he/she was a poor shooter to start with.
Keep yer nose into the wind & slip from tree to tree in the shadows, you have come fer pilgrim! Miss Vixen & Miss Phoenix, I am The Vixenmaster!

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 06:59:59 PM »
i shot a male squirrel off his girlfriend when i was a kid and grandpa thumped me good with the butt of his shotgun and told me that just wasn't right to do and i should have waited til he was finished with his business.Got another good thump for whistling a rabbit the old man was a great teacher and would'nt allow anything but a single shot gun , said it just wasn't fair or sporting. Just hope i did as good a job with my grandkids.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 07:33:21 AM »
T-man, betcha you and I got the same T shirt. :D