Author Topic: How long do batteries last on red dot type scopes?  (Read 498 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
How long do batteries last on red dot type scopes?
« on: July 06, 2008, 10:19:20 AM »
I used my Trueglo red dot scope yesterday for the first time.  I was not sure on how long the batteries last with these, do I leave it turned on when at the range or shut it down between sessions?  I usually bring 2-3 rifles, shoot each one 10 rounds and then switch to another to allow the barrels to cool down, so theoretically the red dot scope could be on for around 2 hours.  If I switched it off this would put alot of wear on the switch knob as it could be turned off repeatably.

When hunting do you guys leave it on, as it could take hours while waiting for a turkey or deer to come along?  I see the US military using something like this on the M-16, I find it hard to believe they would turn it on and off, as a firefight starts as you need aiming speed to kill the Al Quida guys.

It was a bright sunny day and I had trouble seeing the white target at 50 yards, the red dot would turn white.  At 100 yards it was ok, and also at 25 yards, how odd. 

Thanks.

Offline eye shot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
Re: How long do batteries last on red dot type scopes?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 03:28:05 PM »
My original batts in my old AimPoint went seven seasons of deer hunting allways on, but got my deer by 8:00 alot of years.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline jason280

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 07:15:06 PM »
Aimpoint's Comp M3 (or is it 4?) will stay on for close to 80,000 hours.  My ACOG, on the other hand, will stay lit for 12 years.  Of course, its tritium based... ;)
"Hey Peter, check out Channel 9!!"

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 08:28:24 AM »
Aimpoint's Comp M3 (or is it 4?) will stay on for close to 80,000 hours.  My ACOG, on the other hand, will stay lit for 12 years.  Of course, its tritium based... ;)

It also has the fiber optics so it will work even after the Tritium goes out.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick