Author Topic: Three Injured When Cannon Explodes In Thurston County, Wa  (Read 2482 times)

Offline jeeper1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Three Injured When Cannon Explodes In Thurston County, Wa
« on: July 06, 2008, 02:07:20 PM »
ROCHESTER, Wash. -- Metal shrapnel from an exploding cannon injured three people, including an 11-year-old boy, during a Fourth of July gathering in the Thurston County community of Rochester.

Sheriff's Sgt. Cheryl Stines says the cannon exploded about 10:30 p.m. Friday.

She says the boy was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle with "severe lacerations" to his leg and abdomen.

Stines says two adults also were injured: a 34-year-old male suffered severe abdominal injuries and a woman in her 30s suffered abdominal and leg injuries.

Their identities and medical conditions are not immediately available.

The woman was 80 feet away when hit.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/16803236/detail.html
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Three Injured When Cannon Explodes In Thurston County, Wa
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 03:00:28 PM »
&^%*&^  what's sad is that cannons CAN be fired SAFELY.

SMOKELESS powder !!!

http://www.theolympian.com/670/story/499003.html
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 03:23:36 PM »
Problem is, all anyone is really going to hear is "cannon", "explosion", and "injuries".

Also, the description is a little suspicious. A lot of the devices we hear about in the news really stretch the term "cannon" pretty thin.

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 03:37:58 PM »
I am going with Terry C. on this   until we see what it actually was then we dont really  know.However the media ruins it to begin with more often than not with the calling of a pipe bomb in so many instances a cannon when it is not. Last years Cannon was a pipe..., and this year they are still calling last years issue a cannon? ? Perhaps this years  was......, but i doubt it was a caliber thick cannon., probably another pipe bomb or yard ornimant ....., and it will add fuel to the fire of those who want to take our rights. If they could accurately call it what it is ., at least they could report it fairly........, sort of a liberal anti gun agenda..., isnt that what most news organizations are anyway? This bumms me out.., i'll be watching and hoping this stuff doesnt challenge our rights. 

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 03:58:24 PM »
What this illustrates again is that those of us making cannon cannot cheat on the safety factors just because WE won't overload/misload the barrel.  Eventually these things find their way into the hands of the incompetent and, if not safely made, become hazardous to the new owners due to their lack of knowledge.  Maybe we even need to stamp BLACK POWDER LOADING ONLY on them so some subsequent owner at least has a warning.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 05:16:35 PM »
Wasn't last years accident also in Thurston County.

Rich did they ever release the accident report for last years incident.

Offline Tropico

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
    • Tropico Beach
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 07:30:21 PM »
Yes Double D  it was in Thurston County . Actually within just a few miles of this one.  I believe they did release photos of the pipe ., it was a 1 1/2 "diameter X 8" galvanized water pipe if memory serves.  I cannot be sure its the same one., but these dont come up too often I believe that was it. If my memory is correct it was almost 2/3 full of smokeless (Thats alot ) . Rochester  is the next town over from me ., and Little Rock is the town next to Rochester ., Little rock was the place of last years tragedy. I will try to dig up some info on last year.

Here is an article but not much detail of the 2007 incident
http://www.ktvb.com/news/regional/stories/ktvbn-jul0507-canon.4690ebfe.html 

i was wrong (memory doesnt serve) ?   :o  Anyway it does look like cast iron., look at this
http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/NW_070507WAB_fatal_cannon_explosion_JM.45b1ed6f.html
Watch the video .

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 05:07:39 AM »
Yeah now I remember.  We were pretty sure from looking at the picture that this was a home made cannon made from some sort of machinery part. I think, speculated it was a piece of drill rod.

Offline p51

• My cowboy shooting page...
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 01:25:17 PM »
I live within 1/4 mile of where this happened and my wife's parents live right across the street. We heard it go off that night, was much louder than anything else that evening. The house in question has a hole slightly smaller than a golf ball right through the second floor, dead center, almost like a sniper with a huge bore rifle was aiming at anyone standing up on that floor!
I talked with someone from the local fire department. The "cannon" in question was made with pipe. It was, for lack of a better term, a large open-ended pipe bomb, made from a pipe way too weak to take the pressure!
Yes Double D  it was in Thurston County . Actually within just a few miles of this one.
Yep, Little Rock is about 3-4 miles away, depending on where you count the "city" limits. Each town is small, Rochester is actually quite large in map size, but it's all mostly rural, former (and current) farmland with a "downtown" that grape shot could reach both ends with a light load. Little Rock's "downtown" would take about 5 miles to walk from each end.
One of the biggest problems we face in this area is the presence of "Indian" fireworks from the nearby reservation just outside Rochester. You can buy darned near anything there (even stuff illegal in WA state), so people get 'creative' sometimes and put together some pretty nasty stuff...
"When all else fails, call for indirect fire on your position, AND GET THE HELL OUT!"
-Exact words of one of my 'call for fire' class instructors.
Former US Army Ordnance officer and lover of all things what go BOOM!

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 02:51:04 PM »
I can just agree to all of you guys , its sad when this things happened .
but what can we do more then try to have people understand the difference between an cannon and a pipe bomb .
sorry that I never can remember who of you guys that have this words
if I make something idiot proof , someone just makes an bigger idiot
or someting like that approximately, its so true.
what can we do ?? education and information again and again
hopefully we save some lives .
I cant understand that people can be such idiots , sorry but that's the best word I can find .
I have done a lot of experimenting with cannons and overloads , but very very sure to make without risk .
even tested with smokeless powder to see whats happening , then it ain't 4th of July firecrackers any more .
its almost the same effect as an modern cannon grenade
just lets hope we can teach our neighbors and Friends the difference between those things .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 03:48:14 PM »
sorry that I never can remember who of you guys that have this words
if I make something idiot proof , someone just makes an bigger idiot
or someting like that approximately, its so true.

See Signature line below.  ;D

This is a tragic event and we hope to never see these things again. But, unfortunately we will. Just look at 90% of the YouTube videos of cannons. I think the only way to help is by education. Teach people the proper methods and handling whenever you can. When you are out with people while shooting your cannons let them know why you are doing things the way you are. I think "cannonmn" has some excellent videos on Youtube and is a good example of what to do. There are even a few cannon safety videos on YouTube too.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 12:47:17 AM »
Tx for the compliment Mr. Deep.  Yes most of our videos try to teach a bit.  One of our recent ones kinda surprised me actually, we were just out having fun with the 3-barrel hand cannon and taped it.   I've never had so many comments pop up on one of our videos in such a short time, don't know why, lots of firearms 'experts' out there I guess.

You wouldn't believe it but some people want to kill poor 'ole Ed for saying "When wars were fought by real men..."  Hey its all in fun, fer krissakes, we don't write a script and sweat over the punctuation  and PC-ness for hours, but I guess some people think we should.  It is all ad-lib and will stay that way.  One guy even says we better tell him what we meant by that comment, and do it right now, like he's gonna come knock us off or somethin!  Getta life, mister!

Offline p51

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 01:11:27 PM »
Just an FYI, the mother in this family was seriously hurt and is still in the hospital. There's plenty of charitable events going on (including a concert at the local pub) for their medical bills and such.
It's bad enough when this happens to a crew member of a real cannon, but it's especially sad that it happened to someone in the confines of their own home!
"When all else fails, call for indirect fire on your position, AND GET THE HELL OUT!"

Offline b. snipes

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 12:18:32 PM »
I am a new member and a first time poster. I have to agree with GGaskill, all the cannons and thunder mugs that I make I stamp on the breech "Black Powder Only". I build in an excessive service factor. There is not much you can do about a foolish loads, poor maintenance or "pipe bomb" cannons though. beech, Mount Vernon Cannon Works. 

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 02:50:46 PM »
Hi B Snipes what sort of things do you make ....BTW welcome .

rocklock (another newb)
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2008, 11:08:37 AM »
is it anyone who have heard any official explenation of whats happened , why did it explode ??
nc powder ??
just to weak material ??
or ??
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline p51

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 04:19:04 PM »
I never saw a official word on this, but I did talk to a firefighter who responded to this and he said it was galvanized pipe (and not made well at that).
In other local news, the family of the previous "cannon" victim is suing the only deep pockets they could find: http://www.theolympian.com/670/story/593609.html

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 10:54:10 AM »
well its only in usa its possible to do that .
here in sweden you would only be laughed at if you even tried .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline p51

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 05:01:57 PM »
They have had several fund raising events for the family involved in this accident. Mt understanding is the mother really got messed up and last I heard, is still in the hospital. As of last week, the house still had the hole in the side of it.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2008, 03:02:51 AM »
I am a new member and a first time poster. I have to agree with GGaskill, all the cannons and thunder mugs that I make I stamp on the breech "Black Powder Only". I build in an excessive service factor. There is not much you can do about a foolish loads, poor maintenance or "pipe bomb" cannons though. beech, Mount Vernon Cannon Works. 

WELCOME to the board!
Looking forward to some pictures of what you shoot.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline p51

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2008, 07:43:51 PM »
Yesterday we had dinner at a house across the street from where this incident happened. I talked with a next-door neighbor of theirs (who knows I'm a former Army Ordnance officer and grew up crewing muzzleloading artillery) and I thought you all would like what he said:
I'm sick to death of them calling what hit that house a "Cannon!" Calling that d*mned pipe bomb a "cannon" is like calling a six-shooter a "minigun!" It's an insult to the people who build and fire muzzleloading artillery and do it safely to call it that!
I think that says it all...