Author Topic: Took my 28 gauge to the range yesterday  (Read 415 times)

Offline gschwertley

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
Took my 28 gauge to the range yesterday
« on: July 07, 2008, 03:17:07 PM »
I've had an NEF Pardner in 28 gauge (22 inch bbl) for some time.  It's a simple-Simon, pokey little gun.  Previously, all I've ever used it for is shooting 50 caliber round lead balls (hand loads).  Yesterday, I was going to the gun range where I am a member, and just as an afterthought I took along the 28 ga.  I figured if I ran into another shooter who would spare me some clay birds, I'd try to see how my shotgunning skills were with the 28 ga.  After spending some time on the rifle range, sure enough a regular member showed up with his son on the shotgun range.  I ambled over and asked him if he would launch a few for me so I could try my gun out.  He said sure, so I got the gun out of my car.  I fired off about 10 rounds and after missing the first couple, I started popping birds.  It didn't take me long to discover that I had to get right on the bird right away, as the 28 gauge doesn't have the reach of a 3 inch 12 gauge.  It was fun, so now I'm gonna buy my own box of birds and spend more time over on the shotgun range. 

The member's son who launched the birds for me glanced at my box of Remington high-brass target shells and saw the price tag said $4.95.  He said, "Wow, you've had those for a long time, huh?"  And here I thought I paid a lot of money for those.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Took my 28 gauge to the range yesterday
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 11:33:08 AM »
28 and .410 target loads from folks like Winchester, Remington and Federal are running darn little if any below $10 a box these days. I bought several flats of them last year the cheapest ran about $6.99 and the most expensive $10 a box even in case lot quantities. If you find them under $10 a box now consider it a fair price with shot and ammo at current price levels.

Those are the only two guns I shoot on skeet and I usually shoot a couple days a week at the skeet range so I go thru a lot of .410 and 28 gauge ammo.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline plumberroy

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 02:21:51 PM »
I've had an NEF Pardner in 28 gauge (22 inch bbl) for some time.  It's a simple-Simon, pokey little gun.  Previously, all I've ever used it for is shooting 50 caliber round lead balls (hand loads). 
I thought I was the only one that did stuff like  that ;D(50 cal, rb's out of a 28) My 28 ga with a 22" barrel  wears a  choate adult stock and storearm fore arm  It rolls rabbits like it thinks it is a 12 ;D chances are if I'm out with a shotgun the little 28 is the gun I have
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline gschwertley

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 12:00:17 PM »
My NEF 28 gauge with the 22 inch bbl. also has the adult wood on it.  It's a handy little bugger for carrying around.

Greybeard, funny you should mention the .410's.  I've got a couple.  One, a 1966 H&R Topper (I got it for my 16th birthday); another an NEF .45 Colt/.410.  I've got all kinds of .410 ammo that I've been stashing over the years.  Since I made my original post about the 28 ga., I've been thinking that I'll take the .410's out on the shotgun range and burn off some of the ammo hoard.  No sense in letting my kids sell it for $1 a box at gschwertley's post funeral garage sale.