Author Topic: Has anybody mounted a pistol/scout scope with long eye releif?  (Read 425 times)

Offline srcjahc

• Trade Count: (0)
I was looking at the Ruger M77 rifles in 308 (I think it is the Frontier) And was wondering how to mount a pistol or scout scope with a long eye relief on my Rossi Stainless 357 Singleshot that I am about to cut down to 16". I know this is the NEF forum and I did pose this topic on the Rossi forum but I think the procedure might be similiar for both NEF and Rossi rifles and this is a far more active forum. I was wondering how it would handle and perform with a scope mounted as far forward as possible. Thanks

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
Re: Has anybody mounted a pistol/scout scope with long eye releif?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 04:25:24 PM »
I did mount a 2 1/2 power pistol scope on a NEF, back in 1999.It is still being used in Wyoming to shoot ,offending small furry critters.
I used the regular mount for the NEF ,Weaver #82 , and used the rear sight holes for two of the screws and had a third one D&T'ed'
HTH     Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 04:49:11 PM »
Scout mounts are listed in the FAQs using the Weaver #92A Contender base mounted in the rear sight mounting holes of late model H&Rs that come with sights, but that isn't likely to work on the Rossi, but will give you an idea how to do it.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 09:35:44 AM »
Thanks to Tim's advice, I put a scout mount scope on my .357 and love it.  I used his help and the FAQs.  The only thing I don't like is the small objective lense which for my poor eyes is dim in low light.  One thing I do like about it, is that the scope is right down on the barrel, and small targets at close range are easy to hit.  I shot a pigeon yesterday at 25 feet.  I aimed at the beak and it took head and neck off at the shoulders.  I hope PETA is reading this!!!

I forgot to mention that I put a monte carlo stock on it which made sight acquisition much faster and easier.

I have a Ruger M77 MKII in .308, and I call it the Magic Rifle.  I have made incredible shots with it over the years.  I did miss a running skunk last evening at 410 yards.  My son was spotting for me and said I shot over by 2 or three inches.  That rifle loves 168 gr. Winchester Supreme Ballistic Tips, and it has a Bushnell Banner with circle/crosshair recticle.
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491