Author Topic: Differing rails and laminates  (Read 565 times)

Offline kody

• Trade Count: (26)
  • A Real Regular
Differing rails and laminates
« on: July 08, 2008, 08:02:17 AM »
What are the differences between Ultra and standard scope rails ,also how are the palletwood and synthetic laminates properly described so that you can be sure of what is being offered? How common is the rechambering of .357 Mags to .357 Max?  KODY

Offline Wolfgang

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Differing rails and laminates
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 10:27:01 AM »
kody,

I'm not sure about the rails but I think that the ones from H&R are all the same and then there is the Weaver rail.  About the only difference that I know of is the H&R version has more mounting slots for the scope rings which offer more latitude in the placement of your scope for proper eye relief.  They also have a screw which rides the barrel up front supposedly to help with flex.  As for the stocks, I think the laminate is what it is and just varies as to the color of the stock.  Pallet wood is whatever wood that H&R uses to make the stock out of and then stains it.  Some I've seen are very plain and others are really full of grain and look pretty nice when they are refinished.

Wolfgang
"We have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve."

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 10:31:45 AM »
What are the differences between Ultra and standard scope rails?

See the FAQs, there are pics of all rails available for H&R firearms, the Ultra rail is no longer available, it was discontinued last year.

also how are the palletwood and synthetic laminates properly described so that you can be sure of what is being offered?

There's no such thing as synthetic laminate, palletwood is the plain jane walnut stained hardwood typical on Handis and Pardners. There are laminated palletwood stocks and the other laminate is resin laminate with multicolored wood.

How common is the rechambering of .357 Mags to .357 Max?

Very common!! http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?action=search

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline kody

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 05:15:15 PM »
1 down and 2 to go---.357 business is done. The pallet-wood laminate,both Quick and I mentioned. The syn. laminate I mentioned seems to be the resin and wood laminate he mentioned. Same question then, what is the way for an ad to be worded in order to have no doubt which is being referred to?  How do I locte the FAQs, I looked from top to bottom of the forum list and ---no listing for FAQs?  Thanks for any help ,   KODY

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 05:24:02 PM »
FAQs and Help ****PLEASE READ ME!!**** is the second topic down, the one with the  ;D beside it, kinda hard to miss.  :D

Posting a pic is the best way to describe your item in a classified ad, then there's no doubt, if you're in doubt about what you have, ask.  ;) Synthetic stocks are black plastic or possibly camo, no question there. Resin lams come in two colors now, cinnamon and camo, although they've been made in many different colors in the past, see Let's See Some Handis in the FAQs, there are pages of pics. There are also other stocks, the Topper Deluxe Classic are checkered walnut, as are the Buffalo Classic and Target. There are also wood camo stock that come on the turkey shotgun.

Tim

cinnamon lam

camo lam

palletwood lam

Red lam

gray lam

Bumble Bee

Offline kody

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 02:07:30 PM »
Thanks for the info,I'll look for pics for red,grey,cinnamonand camo and inquire as to resin or pallet-wood.  KODY

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 02:17:27 PM »
Laminated palletwood is more plain, it doesn't have the contrasting alternating layers of the Ultra laminates, the butt in the pic below came on my 204 Ruger Handi, they're also never checkered, resin laminates may or may not be checkered.

Tim