Author Topic: Another little one...  (Read 642 times)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Another little one...
« on: July 09, 2008, 02:55:46 AM »
 Here's one I just got yesterday...

1/2" bore barrel is cast brass or bronze, all else is sand-cast aluminum.

Anyone know where/when this one was made? It has "MOYER" cast into one cheek. I'd like to remove the parting lines/flaws in the carriage castings and paint them whatever color would be most appropriate for the type of carriage. What color should it be?
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Another little one...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 04:06:22 AM »
The name in the cheek throws me, but it sure looks like one of Frank's creations.  Frank made exactly this kind of cannon in many sizes and shapes in his shop in Airville, PA.  He's been gone maybe 15 years now.  He sported a long white beard and was a "fixture" at venues such as the Baltimore Gun Show for many years.

Offline ajtcpa

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 04:40:27 AM »
These used to be sold by Cannon Mania and Dixie Gun Works.  I believe they were made by Bob Moyer in Belleview, Ohio, and were sold as kits.  I have a few of these and they are great shooters!
Alan

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 03:17:10 PM »
These used to be sold by Cannon Mania and Dixie Gun Works.  I believe they were made by Bob Moyer in Belleview, Ohio, and were sold as kits.  I have a few of these and they are great shooters!
Alan
Alan -
WELCOME to the board!

What do you like to shoot?
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline ajtcpa

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 03:02:03 AM »
Hi,
Thanks for the welcome!  I have been collecting and shooting black powder cannons for several years.  In order to stay on good terms with the neighbors I mainly shoot the small ones (1/2" bore and smaller).  I have a number of Irishman's barrels, which are great, and also really enjoy my "lil vino".  I also have several larger cannons including a 23" cast bronze barrel purchased from Moyer (which I have been filing and sanding on--as time permits).  I envy the board's members who have access to the wide open spaces and are able to use the large cannons!  I have been reading the posts here for some time now and am very impressed with the knowledge exhibited by the members and have picked up many valuable pieces of information.  This is a great board!  Thanks again for the welcome!

Alan

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 03:27:32 AM »
Alan

Thanks, and welcome to the forum. Nice to know a bit of history about it. Not near as interesting as the "real deal" cannons, but I can't afford none of those ;)

Anyone know what color would look most correct for the carriage? My Son thinks school bus yellow would look cool, but I'm thinking something a bit less flashy like O.D. or gray (?)
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 07:56:10 AM »
Anyone know what color would look most correct for the carriage? My Son thinks school bus yellow would look cool, but I'm thinking something a bit less flashy like O.D. or gray (?)

OD.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill