Author Topic: 30 carbine  (Read 327 times)

Offline BIG Dog454

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
30 carbine
« on: July 09, 2008, 07:43:26 AM »
Has anyone had any good results with cast bullets in the 30 carbine blackhawk revolver at low velocities?  I am trying to get a load for small game with cast bullets.  I've tried 95 105, 115 gr cast with little accuracy at around 900fps.  I get real good accuracy with full house loads above 1250fps using 115gr Gas check bullets and using jacketed bullets, but I feel that that would be a little much for smal;l game.

Offline WILD_WEASEL

• Avid Poster
Re: 30 carbine
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 08:16:14 AM »
BD454,

Using 10gr of 2400, .5 to 1 gr below starting loads per Lyman Manual,  for the following bullets; Lyman 311359 115gr SP GC and the Lyman 311410 130gr SP.  These are the best loads I've ever tried in my 30 Carbine Blackhawk, bring groups down to an inch at 15 yards.  Hotter loads (max recommended and factory) really flatten the primers in my BH, by backing off to the point where the primes do not flatten out and the cases extract easily this gun is a joy to shoot at the local indoor range.

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 10:34:53 AM »
The primers probably flattened due to excess headspace in the revolver - at least mine did.  Identical .30M1 loads in my Contender did not have flattened primers nor exhibit any sticky extraction.  165-grain cast bullets in the T/C gave 2 moa accuracy too.  I loved the .30 Carbine in the Contender, I had two barrels and shot a number of 40x40 CB scores in IHMSA competition.  My Blackhawk never came close in accuracy.

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 04:40:12 PM »
Big dog, there are SOO many reasons for this it is hard to pinpoint the problem. Wrong sized bullets, mismatched cylinder/bore diameters to name just 2. The bullets MAY have been to HARD to fill the bore after going thru the cylinder throat! How smooth and CLEAN is the bore. Perhaps a FASTER powder to smack the bullets base HARDER will help. You didn't say anything about leading! Get 5 dead soft lead bullets and see what your forcing cone and barrel measure. Also measure the throats of your cylinder. Some may be off spec!

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 04:24:49 AM »
I'd go with accuracy and not worry about destructiveness, if you want edible game you have to hit them in the head regardless of whatever you're shooting.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.