Author Topic: getting started with my 12 yo daughter  (Read 2042 times)

Offline savageT

• Trade Count: (0)
getting started with my 12 yo daughter
« on: December 20, 2002, 06:09:35 AM »
huntsman,
That's a great story..........Wish I could have taken my 12 yr. old grandson out this year as well.

He's fired the 10/22 and a .17 air pump and seems to be getting along OK with short range accuracy.  He asked if we could take the 22 out squirrel hunting (if I can get the Ruger back from the gunsmith??).  We've fired my Swedish M38 Mauser carbine in 6.5x55mm and he seems to be OK with the recoil.  I think it's really important to make sure and have them wear ear protection to aid in flinch reduction, don't you?

What model 6.5 Swede do you have?  I guess mine to be around 8.5lbs., and a little heavy for carrying very far in the woods.  I want to check Mikey for eye dominence...although he went through that exercise in the NY DEC gun safety course last fall.  He's enthusiastic and wants to get out there and nail some game!

savageT
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2002, 08:33:23 AM »
SavageT,

I don't really know what model of 6.5 it is. From everything I could find in researching on the net, it looks like a M96 action, only with the bolt arm bent down. Somewhere else in a reference book I read where the bent-down bolt arm means it's a m1938 (later-issue m96). Anyway, the action is still smooth and sharp and the bore is still great. This action was put into a custom modern-style high-comb stock (I don't know the exact make) of walnut or similar wood with a dark-stained, lacquered finish.

Whatever it is, it is a well-balanced gun that looks pretty sharp. It's a little on the heavy side with scope and all (@8 to 9 lbs, I guess). My daughter has carried it around a bit and practiced drawing an aim through the scope, and she seems to be able to handle it fine. Our hunting style down here on Texas ranch property is strictly stand hunting, and we don't have to walk far from vehicle to stand, so weight isn't such a factor as it would be if we had to travel more. Another good thing about the weight is that she seems to be able to hold it steady fairly easily (I've always thought that weight helps that) and the recoil shouldn't be quite as bad.

I can't wait to get it back from the smithy that is shortening the stock so I can sight it in. Almost wish it was my gun instead of my daughter's. :cry:
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline savageT

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2002, 08:59:35 AM »
huntsman,

I f you have the turned down bolt it could be an M96 long rifle or the M96-38 shortened/cutdown carbine, or M38 Husqvarna.  What is the barrel length?  Look on the action front ring and tell me who made it.  Is it an Oberdorf, Carl Gustof, or Husqvarna?  One other possibility is a M96 carbine.  How 'bout posting the s/n's an date of mfg.?  Replace last couple numbers with x's.

Thanks,

savageT

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2002, 09:16:31 AM »
Can't answer but two of those questions until I get the gun back from the smithy. Place of manufacture: Oberdorf. Year: 1908 (or maybe '06, can't read the top part of the numeral because the scope base covers it up). Barrel length I am pretty sure is 24" because I asked the seller that when I bought it and he measured it - I am pretty sure he said 24", but I will check to be sure. I'll pass along the serial #s when I get the durn thing back (they've had it 12 days - I'm itching for it!). :wink:

huntsman
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline savageT

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2002, 09:31:18 AM »
OK!    That's an M96 long barrel.  Good luck with that Swede.  I myself am anxiously waiting for my gunsmith to release my M38....Getting the action bedded (I hope!).

Happy Holidays to you and yours,

savageT

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2002, 10:35:10 AM »
SavageT,

Thanks for the ID, it may come in handy someday. I am traveling to MO for CHRISTmas and I am going to meet up with someone from Auction Arms that is very close to where I am going. He has a 7.62 x 39 Yugo SKS that I'm thinking about buying (saves S&H if I can get it in person). Any tips on buying one of those Euro autoloaders?

Merry CHRISTmas to you all as well!

Huntsman

Offline savageT

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2002, 01:35:38 PM »
huntsman,

Yes, I've seen  the SKS' in the shops, check with Big Bill or Mikey they can tell you the cheapist and best bang for the bucks.

savageT