Author Topic: dumb, I know  (Read 1081 times)

Offline badshotlal

• Trade Count: (0)
dumb, I know
« on: July 11, 2008, 01:02:00 PM »
  Hello folks,

This has got to be the dumb question for the day, month, millenium.... ???  When you clean a revolver, how in the world do protect the crown?? ::)  I believe someone, perhaps Sinclair, offers a bronze, coned bushing that fits in the bore, but not sure.
      Any comments -- well, almost any ;D -- appreciated!

God Bless

badshotlal

Offline williamlayton

Re: dumb, I know
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 02:01:06 PM »
I just clean them.
I am not sure I have ever heard of a special way, or, the need of a special way too clean the crown.
I will probably get shot for this answer.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline superdown

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 02:16:27 PM »
If your worried about the crown get a bore snake then you don't have to be concerned with damaging the crown while cleaning.

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 02:46:02 PM »
Yep, use a "Bore Snake". Does a great job of bore cleaning for anything short of really bad copper or lead fouling.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 05:21:33 PM »
Most relvover cleaning kits contain an aluminum cleanig rod, since the Aluminum is softer than the barrel it is not likely that it will damage the bore.  If you have question with this, I suggest the bore snake.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 08:44:59 AM »
I like the one piece stainless rods as the aluminum can pick up grit in the porosity of that metal. A jointed aluminum rod can be even worse.

Most of those one piece stainless rods for both pistol and rifle come with a brass cone that you slip onto the rod before a brush or a jag. While some care is needed starting your brush or patch, that brass cone can be slid up into
Place and center the entire rod as well as protecting the crown.

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 09:00:55 AM »
 dumb i know.. man i do too .. im jus about an expert at it :)
 jus cuttin up.. i dont really think you need to do anything but be careful with your brushes etc..good luck :)

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 07:41:05 PM »
I don't know anyone who wrecked a barrel by improperly cleaning a gun in which only non-corrosive ammo had been used.  I think it happened lots in the day of corrosive ammo,  military guns, steel cleaning rods, and the frequent cleaning that you must do when shooting corrosive ammo.  I have read that steel rods are being promoted again.  I know I won't use them.

I clean all my guns everytime I shoot them & never had any problems.  I sometimes use aluminum rods, brass brushes,  plastic coated rods & some bore snakes sometimes.  Yes I know that aluminum & plastic coated rods absorb abrasives (so sayeth the sellers of expensive cleaning rods) but I don't put abrasives in my rifle or handgun bores (do you?) so I don't have those problems with my "soft" cleaning rods.  My experience with these things goes back to the 1960s.   The accuracy of my guns has not declined with the better of them still shooting sub-minute groups.  jmho.

I have noticed that my vision has deteriorated a bit in the last 45 years though.........
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline the jigger

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 05:42:46 AM »
The only "DUMB" question is the one left unasked. Yoy got some really helpful suggestions!
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!
IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!!

Offline Savage

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 09:52:16 AM »
but I don't put abrasives in my rifle or handgun bores (do you?)

Yep, everytime I pull the trigger. Carbon is pretty hard.

Savage

Offline jcn59

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 10:39:15 AM »
Savage,

I don't have any hard scientific knowledge about these things, and I'm not a chemist, but I've been cleaning my guns as stated for 45 years (almost) everytime I shot them, and I haven't wrecked anything yet.  From a longitudinal perspective, thats a better track record than the carbon fiber, ball bearing people.  I'm not looking for arguments here but I think there are alot of "myths" associated with gun cleaning.

Yes, I use a "Routine" when I break in a new barrel.  Really rough barrels somitimes get the "Tubbs" abrasive products.  Sometimes I use Montana bore paste on stubborn barrels.  No, I've never made a barrel shoot worse.

I don't know about carbon as an abrasive, (and you may) but I recall reading a piece by David Tubbs where he stated he shoots moly bullets "until the accuracy begins to drop off" usually around 650 shots, without cleaning.  Is there a hidden message here? 

Raise your hand if you ever wrecked a barrel by shooting non-corrosive ammo and cleaning with an aluminum rod.  Slowly, so that the earth doesn't fling itself out of orbit....

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline bigdaddytacp

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 03:00:28 PM »
  Hello folks,

This has got to be the dumb question for the day, month, millenium.... ???  When you clean a revolver, how in the world do protect the crown?? ::)  I believe someone, perhaps Sinclair, offers a bronze, coned bushing that fits in the bore, but not sure.
      Any comments -- well, almost any ;D -- appreciated!

God Bless

badshotlal  Check a couple of the vendors.....the cone type is OK but for lots of use- a similar type of crown protector is caliber fitted.to fit in the bore and stays in place better....MOST people won't ever harm a muzzle if they are careful but as a old lead bullet competition revolver shooter, I know you sometimes are in a hurry and lead target loads often deposit more lead near the muzzle due to the lube being stripped off on the trip down the barrel......and you get careless in between stages cleanings......a Lewis lead remover and a fitted bore guide with good lead solvent will keep the gun shooting its best untill the end of shooting over night soaking and another Lewis lead brass patch in the cly and bore will have it squeaky clean and ready for a bunch of shooting......I've had my fitted guides for many years and got them at a match vendor......I use the cones on 22rimfire revolvers.....hth...good luck and good shooting!!

Offline Savage

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 04:20:41 PM »
jcn59,

Nope, never ruined a barrel or crown because of my cleaning equipment or technique. Of course, with the majority of rifles I've owned it might have been hard to tell! :) If I owned a precision rifle, and HAD to clean it from the muzzle, I'd use a bore guide and a one piece rod just to be on the safe side. For revolvers, I use a bore snake unless a brass brush is required to remove leading, and exercise reasonable care in the process. As with you, it has worked for me for the past half century.
Savage

Offline jcn59

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 05:08:07 PM »
I use more bore snakes these days, too. 

Once I really, REALLY had to work on a Kimber barrel & a Ruger barrel with bore paste so I turned a muzzle protector on my lathe.  Used a synthetic, nylon-like material.  Worked good.  Both rifles shot better, but neither would shoot any better than 1.5" at 100 yds. on their best day.   

I kept the muzzle protector.

NRA Life Member

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 09:23:05 AM »
Raise your hand if you ever wrecked a barrel by shooting non-corrosive ammo and cleaning with an aluminum rod.  Slowly, so that the earth doesn't fling itself out of orbit....

Naw, I have to admit that I have never done this. I think it may have origninated from the bench rest crowd as being a tenth inch off was cause for some serious investigation. I have seen a fair
Numbers of .22's that were scratched and scoured by those old type of Crimpt .22 bird shot shells.

When you break down the element tables from Copper & lead you do get alot of grits such as tin, Carbon, Antimony, arsenic, and others that I want to keep off the rod.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 08:28:25 AM »
Most relvover cleaning kits contain an aluminum cleanig rod, since the Aluminum is softer than the barrel it is not likely that it will damage the bore.  If you have question with this, I suggest the bore snake.

I use a bore guild with any rod for cleaning firearms.
The grit that attaches to the aluminum rod is very abrasive? That's why better rods are stainless steel or other materials.
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 01:21:00 PM »
I damaged the rifling at the muzzel using a dewey jag on my 223. The smith who repaired it said that the jag unscrews as it goes down the barrel and when you retrieve it the gap created by the unscrewing catchs the rifling causing damage. He also recomended grinding down the rough edges on the jag used to secure the patch. I went to a tipton system and unscrew the jag at the end of its travel at the muzzel.
Jim

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 01:26:35 PM »
Whoo I am sorry, I replyed to this thread and forgot it pertained to pistols. They make muzzel guides in many sizes a cone shape and sold most any where. I am a believer in protecting the muzzel.
Jim