Author Topic: Need some help here...  (Read 699 times)

Offline Blaster

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Need some help here...
« on: July 12, 2008, 03:03:57 PM »
Whoa, before anyone jumps on my case, I am not going to attempt to sell anything here.  I'm merely asking for suggestions on what you all think I should ask for some very informative magazines that I recently picked up at the Wanenmacher TULSA Gun Show.  I have twenty four (24) issues of  "the Muzzleloading ARTILLERYMAN" that I need to part with.  These magazines show on the cover, "dedicated to the advancement of safety and skill in the exhibition and competion shooting of muzzleloading cannon and mortar".  They really contain a LOT of information about cannon and mortar shooting and fabrication plus a wealth of historical info.  The dates range from 1980 to 1987. I'll be giving more descriptions down in the "BP mortar & cannon classifieds" when the time comes to actually post them for sale.  Again, I'm not selling them in this post.  I just want to get some price opinions of BP shooters that I know would have some knowledge about them FIRST as I know they'd probably bring pretty good dough on the EBAY site.  Any help will be appreciated and again, I'm only asking what would be a fair asking price for these 24 "out of print" issues. Thanks and keep your powder dry.
Blaster (Bob in So. CO)

Graduate of West Point (West Point, Iowa that is)

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
Re: Need some help here...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 06:44:34 AM »
Well, it kinda appears that I am getting the old "cold shoulder" for some reason.  Ah well, I'll be patient and perhaps someone will come along and offer some help.  I want thank those who at least read my post asking for help in placing a price on these magazines.  :-\

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 07:34:45 AM »
I don't have any idea of their value, since I've only been into blackpowder for about 5 years.  Hopefully someone will chime in.  I'd probably start my estimation of their value at the face value, then see how much useful information is contained in them, and try to get an idea of rarity (see if you can find approximate original circulation).  If I were to sell them to a fellow shooter, I'd probably seek the original cost to me plus shipping, but that's just me.

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 08:26:22 AM »
Sorry, no clue....I think it would be up to the prospective buyer.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 08:53:38 AM »
Well, it kinda appears that I am getting the old "cold shoulder" for some reason.

No cold shoulder, just a shrug...

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »
Well my thanks go out to gulfcoastblackpowder, JeffG and TerryC.  At least I now know that my post is being read.  Someone will come along with an approximate figure but the best and most reasonable, so far, is about what I paid for them plus shipping.  These 24 issues are all over 20 years old and some of the advertisers are still in business.  Although the asking price at the Tulsa gun show was $5.00 each, I paid $3.25 each for them and to get that price, I had to take the entire lot of 24, couldn't "cherry pick".   I'm kinda leaning towards asking ABOUT that much each plus shipping for the entire lot.  I'll wait a bit before I put em up for sale though. 

Offline guardsgunner

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 11:08:51 AM »
   At the N=ssa nationals these go for $1.00 each for old copies; but xalue is what you get for them.

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 06:31:44 AM »
Wow, I am really surprised that they were only bringing in a buck per copy.  With all the information on historical stuff plus dimensions etc on building mortars/cannon, tubes and carriages, I though they'd be more desireable than that.  I guess I'll see when I finally get around to putting them up for sale.  Thanks. :)

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 08:46:34 AM »
The one with green cover has one of my articles in it, under "guns of interest."   "Unusual gun in Virginia" describes the 1.5-inch bore Whitworth breechloading rifle that I bought locally.  We think it is the first Whitworth breechloader ever made.  Whitworth called it a "3 pounder" and it threw a 1.5-inch diameter bolt some 9600 feet.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 10:39:12 AM »
I'll be giving more descriptions down in the "BP mortar & cannon classifieds" when the time comes to actually post them for sale.

Not really. I suggest you read the rules of this site and for use of the Classifieds ONE MORE TIME.

The rules clearly state that the Classifieds are free for member's use to sell or trade items previously held for personal use which are no longer needed or wanted. Items bought solely for the purpose of sale here are not allowed on the classifieds UNLESS you become a paid advertiser of the site. Selling at profit items bought just to sell as in the case of these magazines is NOT within the purpose of the Classifieds at this site except in the case of folks who have paid to become sponsors of this site.

I realize not all sites impose such rules but this one does and always has. If I allowed anyone who wished to make a profit via the classifieds to sell anything they purchased at profit here then there would be no reason for businesses to pay me to use the site for selling their wares as those rules would allow them to do it at no cost. If that were the case this site would cease to exist as it is only the income from paid sponsors that keep it alive.

Bottom line those magazines you bought to resale at profit can't be sold here unless and until such time as you become a paid sponsor of the site.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Blaster

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 11:21:45 AM »
I guess my stating ONLY two or three times in my first post that I was not going to attempt to sell them here in this particular section and that I was only looking for a suggested price IF I ever do put them up for sale, just was not clearly put so could be understood by all.  I did NOT buy them for resale and I paid a lot more for them than I can ever expect to get back IF I ever do actually decide to sell them.  They are NOT FOR SALE now but maybe some day I will put them up for sale.  I guess my giving that indication three times in my first post was not clear enough.  If I do sell them, I will not be making any profit on them.  I sure do not want to just throw them away because I no longer need them but it is beginning to appear that someone would rather I do that or use them for starting the wood stove fire than to attempt to share with fellow mortar/cannon shoorters/builders the great information contained in them.  If my attempt to get rid of these magazines at a price WAY BELOW what I actually paid for them is considered selling for profit, boy am I bad at reading the and understanding the rules and then complying with them.  If my possible selling them some day for just a fraction of what I spent for them to share the wealth of information contained in them is considered a commercial "for profit" venture, then I guess I am guilty.  I sure meant no harm or to be "bending the rules" by attempting to recoup at least a part of my purchase.  I fail to understand the last sentence of the preceeding post where it is not assumed but apparently known for certain that I bought these with the intention of reselling them at a profit.  If I also possessed that type capability of determining other peoples intentions,  I believe I'd be playing the stock market.......I'm out of here. :-[ :-[

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 12:07:20 PM »
Sorry but I'm gonna hafta wave the BS flag on ya here.

Copied from your original post:

I have twenty four (24) issues of  "the Muzzleloading ARTILLERYMAN" that I need to part with.

You just bought them and now immediately "need to part with them". To me that's buying with full intention to resale them.

I'll be giving more descriptions down in the "BP mortar & cannon classifieds" when the time comes to actually post them for sale.

A clear indication you planned to offer them for sale on this site. The rules are very clear on the use of the GBO Classifieds ALL of the GBO Classifieds. Items purchased for the purpose of resale does not fit the rules unless you are a paid advertiser of the site. They are free for use by members ONLY for items held for personal use which are no longer wanted or needed. These  you've stated clearly enough for me were bought to resale.

That you stated you were not trying to sell them on the Discussion forum is OK on the face but then no one other than paid advertisers can do that anywhere on the site so that's a given.

I just want to get some price opinions of BP shooters that I know would have some knowledge about them FIRST as I know they'd probably bring pretty good dough on the EBAY site.

What you do there is of no concern to me and it really is a place where everyone is expected to be selling for profit I guess and there you pay them if you list it regardless of whether it sales so to them everyone listing an item is a paid advertiser in effect.

That you posted that convinces me the plan is to make a profit not sell at a loss.

Further your surprise at the selling price of a dollar each clearly indicates a disappointment that your profit might not be what you expected.

We're not gonna argue this. You are NOT gonna sell them at GBO. PERIOD! End of discussion.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!